Line for Weightless Fluke Combo

Started by ike8120, September 15, 2019, 06:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ike8120

I bit the bullet and bought a 7' MH/F spinning rod with 3000 reel. My question is what line is preferred? I have an assortment of copolymer line in different pound tests that I can use or do I need to go to braid? If using braid is a leader necessary. Also I read that some use a small swivel about 24" above the bait to prevent line twist. 
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

WTodd

I use a fluoro leader on braid; I use the modified Albright knot and it's never failed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: ike8120 on September 15, 2019, 06:32:13 AM
I bit the bullet and bought a 7' MH/F spinning rod with 3000 reel. My question is what line is preferred? I have an assortment of copolymer line in different pound tests that I can use or do I need to go to braid? If using braid is a leader necessary. Also I read that some use a small swivel about 24" above the bait to prevent line twist.

I wouldn't use a swivel to join 2 lines to fish a fluke or any fresh water technique for that matter except the Carolina rig. There are several good leader knots out there. Find the one that's the easiest and quickest one for you to tie and have at it. My personal favorite is the Alberto knot.  Congrats on the new combo, enjoy.

loomisguy

Always use a swivel. It cuts down on the line twist and adds a bit of weight . I use 10lb. flouro, I personally wouldn't use a floating line on a bait I'm trying to get to sink.

BarryFL

Recommend yellow Power Pro braid and a flouro leader. You can see the yellow line better for strikes during the pause.

Try the Gamakatsu skipping hooks in 4/0. Perfect for flukes.

Never use a swivel because if rigged straight twist is minimal.

~Barry~

~Barry~

loomisguy

I forgot to mention hooks. The  Moaner stroker is the way to go.

ike8120

I am amazed the different ways folks rig these, even the pros. I guess what it boils down too it what works for you. I am going to try using the copolymer line that I have an abundance of. Maybe I will try a swivel. If this doesn't work then I can always try something else. Thanks to everyone for your input
Gary (ike8120)

Capt. BassinLou

As Barry mentioned, line twist is minimal if any, imho, if you one is getting line twist fishing a fluke, the bait was rigged wrong.

loomisguy

Not too hard to rig a fluke. If the swivel doesn't add enough weight the ol finishing nail will work.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: loomisguy on September 15, 2019, 07:06:07 PM
Not too hard to rig a fluke. If the swivel doesn't add enough weight the ol finishing nail will work.
X 2 on this. You can position the nail in different places to make the bait fall different ways.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BrandonK

Have a Zoom fluke rigged on my spinning rod at the moment. I go 10lb braid to fluoro leader with double uni, no swivel. I also rig the hook backwards in the Zoom flukes so that the hook point side is hidden in the split belly instead of skin hooked or Texposed on the flat side of the bait

apenland01

I've been struggling with this question myself lately.  I fish a lot of flukes and the line choice has a big impact on what I'm landing in the boat.

The best line choice for getting bit is straight 8-10lb fluoro, but I can't get the fish in the boat.  I'm getting break offs when the fish takes me to brush or other hazard.  If it's open water, I'm fine, but that's not common because I'm usually fishing around some kind of structure.

This past Saturday during a tournament, I lost a 3 pounder after a jump and dive to a brushy tree and the line snapped - 10lb fluoro.

I had another reel with 20lb green braid on it and tried that, but the fluke keeps surfacing on every twitch and kills the action.  If the fluke skims the surface with a swimming motion, it's great, but not when it goes nose up out of the water and then just falls back down.

I think I'm going to try some 10lb green braid and it that doesn't work, then I'll try a heavier hook or something.

loomisguy

ike8120

Quote from: apenland01 on September 16, 2019, 10:46:29 AM
I've been struggling with this question myself lately.  I fish a lot of flukes and the line choice has a big impact on what I'm landing in the boat.

The best line choice for getting bit is straight 8-10lb fluoro, but I can't get the fish in the boat.  I'm getting break offs when the fish takes me to brush or other hazard.  If it's open water, I'm fine, but that's not common because I'm usually fishing around some kind of structure.

This past Saturday during a tournament, I lost a 3 pounder after a jump and dive to a brushy tree and the line snapped - 10lb fluoro.

I was thinking about trying 10-12# copolymer to start with. I saw Ike use a swivel in between the mainline and FC leader, not so much for twist but for added weight.

I had another reel with 20lb green braid on it and tried that, but the fluke keeps surfacing on every twitch and kills the action.  If the fluke skims the surface with a swimming motion, it's great, but not when it goes nose up out of the water and then just falls back down.

I think I'm going to try some 10lb green braid and it that doesn't work, then I'll try a heavier hook or something.

I just spooled up with with 12# Copolymer, If the spinning outfit causes line twist then I will add a swivel.
Gary (ike8120)

apenland01

Quote from: loomisguy on September 16, 2019, 11:26:02 AM
is it breaking at the knot ?

Once in a while it's the knot and it's because I got in a hurry and tied a crappy knot.  On Saturday though, it was from abrasion of the bush and the fish just sawed the line on the bush.  about a foot at the end of the line I got back was abraded and roughed up, so I'm not sure what strength of fluoro line would have survived to get the fish in the boat.

I've tried 12lb fluoro in many brands, but it's difficult to keep it on the spool, as it's too stiff and just uncoils off.  I've found that 10lb is about the heaviest I can go and keep the line on the spool.  8lb is even better, but it often doesn't survive the hookset I need to do to get a solid hook through the fluke.

coldfront

a lot depends on a bunch of things.

I typically have little worries about pitching into heavy cover with even mono, but I make sure, dang sure, that there are no knicks, frays, rough spots before I do.

it's amazing how much a line can put up with and still get the fish out.

used to toss 10# flouro in some really ugly stuff and not worry a bit.

this one came out of a nasty laydown pine tree.  on 10# mono.  7.5 foot MH rod and I put the 'leverage' to her.

Lee Smith

I use 50# braid and up, but most of the time my catches bring 20#'s of grass with them  ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

BarryFL

Recommend learning to throw on a baitcaster because a spinning reel will induce line twist. Second, I use 30lb yellow braid with a 6ft 15lb flouro leader. Heavier flouro helps when sink is required.

~Barry~

~Barry~

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: apenland01 on September 16, 2019, 10:46:29 AM

Give Sufix Advance a try.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

Be sure you lube the knot before  you cinch it down and pull it slowly. If you burn flouro in the least bit it will get a weak spot especially around the knot.
LMG makes a good point on the Suffix Advance. I've got it on a couple reels now and so far I really like it.

Oldfart9999

If the braid is causing you pop the bait out of the water use a 3 foot flouro leader or a mini split shot, either one will help you keep the bait just under the surface.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.