Bait Review - X Zone Lures 4" Pro Swammer

Started by Smallie_Stalker, September 15, 2019, 05:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

Bait Review - X Zone Lures 4" Pro Swammer

As a winner of the recent X Zone lures giveaway I chose this bait style and one other because I was anticipating the bass being in the early stages of their fall feeding patterns here in MA. I chose and the Pro Swammer because, well, it's a swimbait. I figured this would give me a presentation that would both cover water quickly, but that could also be slowed down if necessary. The Pro Swammer did not disappoint!

Before I get to specifics of the bait I will tell you that it is made with a plastic that is soft enough to give the baits a very natural action in the water while being durable enough to hold up well to multiple bass.

The first thing I want to talk about with the 4" Pro Swammer is the packaging which you can see in the attached pics. I wish more companies would use this type. It helps keep the baits and most importantly the tail straight so they run true right out of the package. I know it would probably drive the cost up some, but it saves you the time and hassle of having to dip the baits in a pot of boiling water, laying them out straight and waiting for them to cool.  Very nice!
I'm going to break this bait down into three sections: The body, the head and the tail. Let's start with the body.

One of the things that sets the Pro Swammer apart from lots of other boot-tail swimbaits is the body shape. It is flat on the top and all of the weight is on the belly side of the bait giving it a natural keel. I was able to rig the bait on both weighted and unweighted swimbait hooks with the bait landing correctly in the water either way. Using the unweighted hook it was easy to keep the bait on or near the surface, while the weighted hook will let you get the bait deeper if the conditions call for it. Either way, when you combine the body shape with the softnesss of the plastic and the segmented body you get an amazing swimming action at a variety of speeds. 

Rigging the bait straight is easy thanks to a small groove that runs down the belly of the bait. There is enough meat to the body so that you can bury the hook point to keep it weedless without the hook coming out and without having to push the point through the top and Tex-pose it. If you do want to Tex-pose the bait and still keep it fairly weedless the flat top makes it easy to skin hook the point.

Moving on to the head section, looking from the front there is a small indent to help you center the hook or the screw-lock (See pic). The head itself is thick (the thickest part of the bait) and long enough to ensure the bait will stay put no matter which rigging choice you make.

Now for the tail. The transition from the segmented body into the solid tail section is very smooth and tapers down very evenly so that it doesn't appear as unnatural as some other baits of this type that I have seen. Some baits of this type have a thick section of plastic in front of the "boot" while others have very little. This bait falls somewhere in-between. IMO each has it's place depending on several factors. This tail moves very naturally at different speeds and has enough substance that there are no worries about it tearing off on a short-striking fish or if it grabs a piece of brush etc. No matter what the rigging or retrieve speed you can feel the movement of this tail very easily.

IMHO this bait checks just about all the boxes when it comes to boot-tail swimbaits. I give it a solid 10!

See X Zone Rebel Chunk Review ---> Here.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

You always do such in depth reviews, thank you sir.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service