Abu Garcia Gen4 Revo S

Started by LgMouthGambler, September 16, 2019, 05:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

The Revo S has always backed with the Revo SX in the Garcia family as the workhorse reels. Personally, I've always liked the Magtrax brake system that Abu has incorporated into their reels. Now, I say they, as in Abu, but, Abus LP reels are in fact made in a Korean factory from Doyo. Non the less, still a fine product.

A little back story on this reel...I had purchased this reel new when Abu came out with the new Gen4 reels. Why the S? Because the SX went to dual brakes, and it was too much for what I was looking for, so I sold the SX and purchased the S. The S now comes with the Magtrax instead of the centrifugal only brakes like in the past. This makes the reel almost identical to the Lews Speed Spool (as they come out of the same factory). Difference is obviously the better paint job, a aluminium drag star, and cross carbon drag. Worth the extra money in my eyes. I grabbed this reel when it was on sale for $100, and added the Lews carbon fiber handle that is 95mm in length. The major downfall to the stock S to me was the kno s being soo bulky, but for $30 I got a lighter handle with better feeling knobs (to me).

A friend of mine was looking to expand his collection a bit and decided this reel was one he liked, so I had sold it to him. But, recently, he wanted a lighter finesse style setup, and wanted to incorporate this reel into a trade. Me, actually really liking this reel, decided it was a good trade back. So now I have it back in my arsenal.

I'll give a little review on the reel now, seeing as how I got to use it recently for what I think it really accels in...everything. No, seriously, this is one of my favorite reels to come out of the Doyo factory. Next to the Lews Tournament Pro LFS.

I know, I know...."LMG you have soo many high end Shimano and Daiwa products, why the Korean crap?" They have a place in use. Like I said, I really like the Magtrax system. Let me give you an example: most people really like the Daiwa SV reels for their castibility right? Now, imagine you can get that without a $300 price? I know, "you can with the Tatula SV!"..yes, you can, but it's a bulky reel (to me) that has the TWS (which I dont care for). So here is the Revo S.

Internally the reel has brass gears, the frame is made of aluminum, and the clutch mechanism/ system has been redesigned. I really like what Doyo did to improve the clutch system, my only concern is the clutch pawl. But, time will tell on how it will hold up. Like mentioned before, it has the carbon drag system with impressive numbers that is somewhere around a max of 20lbs.

I took this reel spooled up with 12lb Sufix Advance and pitched creature baits for about 3 hours the other night. This reel is a pitching machine, and the brakes help to make things easily controlled, and easily adjustable for more control if needed. No over runs, no distance issues, and everything was fluent. I had a 1/8oz weight, and a brush hog. So we are not talking a heavy bait either. Again, no issues handling the job at hand. The ergonomics allowed me to feel completely comfortable with the reel in my hand. The Gen4 is by far a big improvement from the Gen3 to me in the hands, both reeling and casting. Now, when I decided to switch to casting a bait, I just adjusted the brakes down a bit and let it rip. The reel casts just as well as it pitches, and it gives great distance results with awesome spool control.

If you enjoy reels that are made from the Doyo factory, you will surely enjoy this one.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

Matt thanks for the break down on the reels and sounds like you might keep this one for a spell. Only time will tell though given your history with reels. ~roflmao

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

So Matt, you don't care for the centrifugal brakes? Are they using that drag across the board, my PRO QUALIFIERS, the new ones have a carbon drag that seems good, it also has an aluminum frame and side plates.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 16, 2019, 07:32:34 AM
So Matt, you don't care for the centrifugal brakes? Are they using that drag across the board, my PRO QUALIFIERS, the new ones have a carbon drag that seems good, it also has an aluminum frame and side plates.
Rodney

I love centrifugal brakes, but they accel more in actual casting. I like magnetic brakes better for pitching. And your PQ is internally the same as this reel.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lee Smith

Train that thumb and throw them brakes out the winder....... ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Donald Garner

Matt tks for sharing the posting with us.  I'm a big fan of Abu Garcia Revo Series reels.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

LgMouthGambler

Here is a look at what the new clutch design is. Its deemed the "duraclutch".

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Donald Garner on September 16, 2019, 07:08:36 PM
Matt tks for sharing the posting with us.  I'm a big fan of Abu Garcia Revo Series reels.
Me too Don.

Thanks for all the shots of the internals of the reels Matt. My understanding of some things is getting better thanks to them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 17, 2019, 10:07:00 AM
Me too Don.

Thanks for all the shots of the internals of the reels Matt. My understanding of some things is getting better thanks to them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I think the clutch system is way better. Again, my issue is the pawl. Its plastic with a metal tip where it makes contact with the cog on the driveshaft to engage the spool.

Lee Smith

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 17, 2019, 11:54:01 AM
I think the clutch system is way better. Again, my issue is the pawl. Its plastic with a metal tip where it makes contact with the cog on the driveshaft to engage the spool.

I guess they do that to cut down that little bit more on weight?
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 17, 2019, 02:19:14 PM
Who knows. Or maybe they think it's an improvement of design? Lots of experiments with plastic these days with reel parts. Look at Shimano and their levelwind shaft and pawls .

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 17, 2019, 02:19:14 PM

Cost cutting ordered by some bean counter
BeerMe