250 Mercury HELP!!

Started by t5stephens, September 17, 2019, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t5stephens

Hello All,

I have a 2003 Mercury Pro XB.  Awesome motor and is a champ!  I have just one question with an odd small problem I've run into lately.

I have the motor rigged up to a Hot-Foot and when I put the motor in gear and then start to accelerate to get going, it some times has a 5sec maximum lag before the motor starts to get up and go.  Any ideas??  It never bogs down and dies, it just has a small delay before she starts to go and get up to get on plane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mike Cork

This could be a lot of things. I'd start with making sure all the fuel linkages is correct and not loose. If it's always done it, I'll have to ask a couple buddies and see if I can get some input...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lee Smith

Probably need to adjust your hot foot stop, if it goes past where it should, you'll get that delay, been there, drove me crazy trying to figure it out.

Easy check, pull the cover, have somebody slowly push the foot down, when you get to wide open, ask them to go to the stop, if they move any, adjust the stop bolt.  That's what it will be.

Hope this helps!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

t5stephens

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 17, 2019, 05:11:27 PM
Probably need to adjust your hot foot stop, if it goes past where it should, you'll get that delay, been there, drove me crazy trying to figure it out.

Easy check, pull the cover, have somebody slowly push the foot down, when you get to wide open, ask them to go to the stop, if they move any, adjust the stop bolt.  That's what it will be.

Hope this helps!

Do you think this could/might be the problem if it has worked perfect for the last year and a half and I did not mess with the hot foot setting??

Thanks!

Lee Smith

Quote from: t5stephens on September 17, 2019, 05:34:30 PM
Do you think this could/might be the problem if it has worked perfect for the last year and a half and I did not mess with the hot foot setting??

Thanks!

Would be the first place I'd check. If the lock nut wasn't tight it could have gotten out of adjustment
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

t5stephens

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 17, 2019, 02:32:44 PM
This could be a lot of things. I'd start with making sure all the fuel linkages is correct and not loose. If it's always done it, I'll have to ask a couple buddies and see if I can get some input...

So I checked all fuel linkages and everything looks good. Fuel water separator seems fine but will be replacing just in case.  I heard somewhere about the TPS sensor but not sure how to reset it for my specific motor.  Were you able to find anything else out?

Thanks!