Color????

Started by Fishhardroger, September 17, 2019, 01:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishhardroger

Color choice....is it more of a seasonal choice? Or, is color better determined by water color/clarity? or a combo of both?
Remember, Hook sets are FREE!!!

Smallie_Stalker

I'm of the opinion that color is the least important consideration in any fishing presentation. I fish water where you can see bottom in 40 feet. I use hi- vis line and I tie on a lure that gets to the depth the fish are holding and can be retrieved at a speed that is going to get the fish to bite. Color comes last

There was a time when baits were painted with patterns that looked like moldy bread resembling nothing in nature. They were fished in all water conditions and caught many fish.

Depth, retrieve speed, action are the most important size comes next and then in rare instances color.

That's just my $.02

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Fishhardroger

All opinions matter as far as I'm concerned! This is how I learn for sure! I have always held the opinion that color was last in importance. I have noticed with certain baits, like a Texas rigged worm color can at times make a difference. Not sure the why's behind it...
Remember, Hook sets are FREE!!!

Lee Smith

I always throw naturals, white brown green black/blue  always have, always will.

Funny thing to me is all the people buying up these different colored hollow frogs.....the bass gonna see the underside, lessen he's already in the boat..... ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

gtrpickr

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 17, 2019, 01:56:40 PM
I always throw naturals, white brown green black/blue  always have, always will.

Funny thing to me is all the people buying up these different colored hollow frogs.....the bass gonna see the underside, lessen he's already in the boat..... ~roflmao
I've always thought that with topwater baits too. lo

I think color can play a part but sometimes it's a confidence thing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Fishhardroger on September 17, 2019, 01:17:27 PM
Color choice....is it more of a seasonal choice? Or, is color better determined by water color/clarity? or a combo of both?

It can be combination of all of the above or none of the above...  lo lo Bass have a mind of their own sometimes especially in FL. In many situations thinking outside the box is the only way you can buy a bite.  ~beer~

zippyduck

Two recent outings proved they can be picky.

Presque Isle bay Lake Erie: I was fishing an area I knew held fish, but the bites were not coming. I was throwing a hitch colored Psycho shad and switched to a bright blue Psycho shad and they lit it up. I ended with 10 bass and a 14lb. bag.

Lake Arthur and shad were all through the weeds. Bass were chasing and shad were flying. So I threw a shad colored frog and nothing. tied on a black frog and it was like a light switch turned on. Ended the day with 10 strikes and don't ask how many I landed.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

njpaulc

Color is the least important factor is catching bass...until it isn't.  Really, the consensus of opinion for soft baits and jigs seems to be you can catch bass any where in the country with black/blue and green pumpkin.  However, there are certain situations where I prefer other colors, plum in shallow clear water, watermelon around sparse vegetation, and certain lakes I fish were specific colors are killer.  So the answer is, it depends, you can catch fish by matching the presentation to the conditions, and you can fine tune your catch rate by zeroing in on the correct color. 

Oldfart9999

Sometimes color makes a big difference and sometimes it doesn't, sometimes switching to a color nobody else is using matters, the only way to tell is experiment.
So Zippy, how many had the tour of your boat? lo lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Wizard

My experience says bass eat things with the shapes and colors they are used to. Older anglers know they can catch bass on shades of white, black, green and brown. Most things in nature are in some form of these colors. A bass' brain is very small and is more like a hardwired computer with a little firmware area. If you put A & B into it's brain, a bass will do C nearly every time.

Wizard

3crows

Well, I have never seen a blue worm in nature but have caught more fish on them than any other color. I do not know. Fished other colors, same day, same time and the blue worm kicked worm tale or maybe bass tail. And both in clear water, day, night or absolutely zero visibility muddy water. Beats me. Like 10:1 ratio.
Swim, Bike, Run, Fish