Need some help in rod selection

Started by apiazza, September 20, 2019, 08:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

This question is more driven to characteristics of a rod a not so much brand and/or model, but I welcome that too.

I bank and kayak fish. I don't, or plan to at the moment, own a lot of rods. I'm trying to cover the most techniques possible. I currently have a 7' medium light spinner and a 7' medium heavy baitcaster. Those two do cover a lot of techniques but I figure something a bit heavier that I can use that's better suited to frogs, cranks etc would be good to add to the fleet. And I may have the ideal rod for techniques wrong too, so by all means let me know if I'm missing something.

Love to know your suggestions. I don't plan to buy right now, I'm thinking of maybe holding out until black Friday and I'll probably be spending the $150ish range.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Crank rods and Frog rods are at two different spectrum of the rod scale IMO A crankbait rod needs to be more flexible to absorb shot from fishing surging. A frog rod needs a lot of back bone to drive the hooks through the jaw of a bass. Crankbaits basically snag the inside of a bass's mouth where as a frog hook punches through.

Leaving brands out of it, I'd look for a glass or semi glass rod for crankbaits and then a heavy action rod for your frogs.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

apiazza

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 20, 2019, 09:24:43 AM
Crank rods and Frog rods are at two different spectrum of the rod scale IMO A crankbait rod needs to be more flexible to absorb shot from fishing surging. A frog rod needs a lot of back bone to drive the hooks through the jaw of a bass. Crankbaits basically snag the inside of a bass's mouth where as a frog hook punches through.

Leaving brands out of it, I'd look for a glass or semi glass rod for crankbaits and then a heavy action rod for your frogs.
I suspected that would be the answer and makes sense. I guess I'll have to determine my priority. I've thrown both the frog and smaller cranks on my medium heavy. I've just begun dabbling in crank baits and not sure I'm ready for that level of commitment lol.

Should I be looking heavy or extra heavy for frogs?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

You will be fine with a heavy for frogging

zippyduck

Rod designations can be confusing. What some call Heavy action others call a Med heavy or an extra heavy.
I have a MH Abu Villain that I use for heavy cover and an extra heavy Dobyns for the same techniques.
Let us know what brand you are looking at and someone should have experience with them.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

apiazza

Quote from: zippyduck on September 20, 2019, 12:41:55 PM
Rod designations can be confusing. What some call Heavy action others call a Med heavy or an extra heavy.
I have a MH Abu Villain that I use for heavy cover and an extra heavy Dobyns for the same techniques.
Let us know what brand you are looking at and someone should have experience with them.
Right now I'm looking at dobyns fury or Sierra and st croix mojo bass, but will happily take suggestions. Maybe I should refine my initial question... I'm not necessarily looking for a frog or crank rod, but more just a rod to expand my capabilities from what I own currently. I'm slowly adding new techniques and weights and sizes of older techniques.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

zippyduck

I would look at a Dobyns 735 in whatever series you want. This is a great multi purpose rod for heavier applications such as Jigs, frogs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, T-rigs, and Carolina rigs.

The other option would be a 705cb for all your cranking needs and also can handle spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.

Both rods are versatile in their powers and actions making them both very good starting points.

LgMouthGambler

I would take the Mojo Bass over the Fury. I think the blank is better, and components as well, for not much more money. Sierra line is nice, but I only own them in the 6'8 category. A heavy will work just fine for you for frogging. And like Mike said, cranking and frogging are 2 totally different animals.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

apiazza

The variability in what is considered heavy by brands makes the buying process that much more complicated when it's not for a specific technique.

Is dobyns typically considered to be "accurate" in that regard? I've heard form several that abu seems to be stiffer than listed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

zippyduck

BU ARE stiffer, dobyns are lighter. St croix are lighter yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

To me St Croix MH F is a standard (using the Mono line). Abu is heavier than their ratings, Dobyns is lighter.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 20, 2019, 10:30:08 AM
You will be fine with a heavy for frogging

And this guy should know.  lo

A bit more expensive (on sale), but a good option is the ALX Toadface.  Unfortunately mine hasn't seen much use yet, but my reading suggests it is a very versatile rod.  Got mine for about $175 on sale.

My only Dobyns is NOT a 735, but pretty much everyone agrees it is an excellent rod for many techniques.

And yes, every Abu I own fishes heavier than many other rod brands with the same rating.  Like others have said, there is no industry standard.