Spinnerbaits & Buzzbaits!

Started by bigjim5589, September 29, 2019, 01:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

I've been making some of each and repairing some. These first couple are Picasso brand, that the skirt collar had deteriorated, so I tied them on with tying thread. The next two are some I had bought, not sure of a brand. One is a hidden weight, the other like a Do It type Minnow Head.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

All of these buzzbaits are some I had made. All are tied. The first two, I had a frog color in mind.  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

Some spinnerbaits, including some tied with bucktail, old school style!  :)

I used some barrel swivels on some and ball bearing swivels on others. The barrel swivels are a bit less cost, and still spin very well, so something that can reduce the cost when making them.  ;)

bigjim5589

Smallie_Stalker

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

TNDiver

There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Oldfart9999

Good looking work as usual Jim!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishballer06

Those hidden weights run so true. I love them!
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

Good looking stuff, I should send you mine to have them tied on, I hate a skirt that pulls down all the time.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bigjim5589

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 30, 2019, 12:11:49 PM
Good looking stuff, I should send you mine to have them tied on, I hate a skirt that pulls down all the time.

Mike, that would be no problem! Send them! I think you have my address. Be glad to do that for you!  :)

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 30, 2019, 12:11:49 PM
Hmm,,,,, I spent most of my teen years looking for a skirt that would pull down all the time. ~shade

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mike Cork

Quote from: bigjim5589 on September 30, 2019, 12:19:03 PM
Mike, that would be no problem! Send them! I think you have my address. Be glad to do that for you!  :)

I do, and now that fall is here, it's time to travel and visit family... Let me put something together.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bigjim5589

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 30, 2019, 12:28:44 PM
Hmm,,,,, I spent most of my teen years looking for a skirt that would pull down all the time. ~shade

Yeah, a bit different type of skirt!  lo   ~roflmao

bigjim5589

Thanks for all the great comments!  ;D

We need more folks posting the lures or even flies that they make!  :-*

Anyway, here's another buzzbait that I finished. 1/8 oz. Owner 2/0 Red hook. Tied skirt.

I used to toss 1/8 oz. spinnerbaits & buzzbaits a good bit when I fished the shallow, brackish, tidal rivers in MD. Also used them in some small streams for Smallmouths. Fun to fish with on ultralight tackle!  ~gf

coldfront

Quote from: bigjim5589 on September 29, 2019, 01:37:45 PM
All of these buzzbaits are some I had made. All are tied. The first two, I had a frog color in mind.  lo

thinking about that.  about leopard frogs (not bullfrogs).  that brown, black spots, but with the yellow line down the sides.  and a pale bellly...

so often when we think of frogs, we think bullfrogs.  but man, am telling you, I think those bass (and other predators) prefer the leopard frogs.

and tell me that would n't work as a bluegill imitator too!

seen some amazing sep/oct bites up north as the leopard frogs migrate out of the high grass marshes to the lake basins for hibernation/over-wintering.

bigjim5589

Coldfront, you'll get no argument from me!

I tend to put together generic color combinations, that might imitate many things. So, when I mentioned "frog color", it might also include leopard frogs, or yes even other things that are not frogs. We assume what the fish see when we present our lures, and the many color combinations, but fact is we can't ever really know for sure what it is they mistake them to be. It only matters that they will grab them.

From all the years that I've tied flies, and attempted to "match the hatch", there's been too many times that what I tied up &  fished with didn't look like what the fish appeared to be eating, yet they would grab the fly that I used, or sometimes they wouldn't. Same thing with lures, although movement & vibration, or noise probably have more to do with reactions than the color patterns. Again, it only mattered when they would grab them, and if not I changed to something else.

However, I never feel that it hurts to try to mimic what the fish might eat, in as many aspects as it possible. So, if combining colors to look more like a Leopard Frog will get more strikes than something that may better represent a different type of frog, I'm not against doing it. If that means adding a little yellow, then yep, I would do it.

Again, we assume, but won't ever know unless we try something, and you & I both know that the more time any lure spends in the water, the better the chances it's going to get eaten, even if it may be the wrong color!

I used to catch leopard frogs in a small pond by dangling a fly in front of them as they sat on the bank when I was a kid, to use them as fish bait. Where I fished, there were Pickerel and I had read that they loved the frogs. I never caught one on the frogs, but had a blast catching the frogs.  lo

I've caught some bass on live frogs, but still not something that I did often, and it was Leopard frogs that I used. I've caught Bullfrogs too, but don't think I ever tried using them as bait, as they were too big, and I'm sure I couldn't have cast them anyway.

There are bright green tree frogs around here. Now you have me wondering!  :-*

Jacobguy

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 30, 2019, 12:28:44 PM

I still am...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

OK, few more spinnerbaits! These are both 1/8 oz. Both have "better" hooks in them. The white one has a 1/0 Mustad Ultra Point, the one with marabou has a Daiichi size 2 hook.

The white one could be used for bass, or panfish.

I dressed the marabou spinnerbait with Crappies & other panfish in mind. Might even possibly be a good lure for Trout, Steelhead or Salmon in these colors!  :-*

I'll likely make more of them in other, less gaudy colors!  lo

Smallie_Stalker

Smallmouth will hit that pink and purple one. They like those gaudy colors.

fishballer06

Those blades are little! Size 1 it seems?
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

bigjim5589

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 07, 2019, 03:57:50 PM
Those blades are little! Size 1 it seems?

Yep, they're size 1. I've used size 1 & 2 on these small frames, and that works well. Go too big & they want to lay on the side, 1/8 oz is not enough weight to keep them running straight with a much bigger blade.

These are made with a Do It Crappie Spinner mold, so are intended for panfishing anyway, but I've caught plenty of bass on them as well.

They're not a lure I would tie on if looking for big bass, but are a fun lure to fish with in small waters, as you never know what might grab it!  lo