New trolling motor installed questions

Started by TNDiver, October 15, 2019, 09:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

I installed my 24v Minn Kota Fortrex 80lb 52inch trolling motor on my deck boat.  I used the holes already on it and when I put it in the resting position, it ended up hitting the front side of the boat and won't lay all the way flat.  I really don't want to drill new holes to shift it and thought I could just put a rubber object below it so it doesn't bounce while riding.  Will this be ok? 

It also didn't come with the receptacle to plug into the spot on my front deck.  I was surprised it didn't.  Do most just wire right to a battery?  I bought one off Amazon and will have to wire it up.

I need to figure out where to put the foot pedal, and unfortunately it won't be recessed. 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

Minn Kota sells a spacer with matching holes that will raise the mount. If you have a shop or know someone who does, you can make a spacer out of a couple teflon/plastic cutting boards from Walmart.

The TM needs to latch in the stowed position. It's not safe just resting against the boat.

They don't come with plugs or connectors. There are too many different types. Regardless of whether you hardwaire it or use a plug/connector, keep in mind that baby draws as much as 50 amps so the plug/connectors need to be rated for that type of current. The same goes for any kind of butt splice. A bad connection will burn open and could cause a fire.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

P-M is all over this... Great advice sir!

Nothing to add, except I've been on the back side of wiring issues because I didn't head the fact that it's a lot of current when the motor is on high... If you wire direct, put a circuit breaker in just to be safe.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

ok thanks for the info.  May just have to shift it a bit and drill some different holes then.  I don't see a spacer helping, but will have to see.

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TNDiver on October 15, 2019, 02:05:10 PM
ok thanks for the info.  May just have to shift it a bit and drill some different holes then.  I don't see a spacer helping, but will have to see.

Post a pic for us.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

BarryFL

Yes a pic would help because I cant imagine that when in the stowed position the motor doesnt rest on the mounting bracket top rails????

~Barry~

~Barry~

TNDiver

Keep in mind it is a deck boat, so the front that raises up that contains the bench seat will hit the TM.  It looks like I need to shift it about 2 inches to the left in the picture.  Which means drilling more holes in the deck, which I would rather not do.  I don't think spacers would work as I would probably need at least 4 inches to make it work

BarryFL

Oh, deck boat. Sorry, cant help you ther6. Good luck.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TNDiver on October 15, 2019, 08:42:24 PM
Keep in mind it is a deck boat, so the front that raises up that contains the bench seat will hit the TM.  It looks like I need to shift it about 2 inches to the left in the picture.  Which means drilling more holes in the deck, which I would rather not do.  I don't think spacers would work as I would probably need at least 4 inches to make it work

That would take quite a bit of spacer. It could be done with Starboard or a length of PVC board for Lowes, cut and stacked in lengths to match the bracket and some long bolts.

If you drill more holes and shift it, the head will be sticking out quite a bit. You'll hit docks, dock posts, and just about anything else you get close to.

Is there any chance you could return and exchange the Fortex for a Maxxum or Ulterra? They use a different mount and still have the same bolt pattern.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

All the Minn Kotas I've used recommended disconnecting the power when charging the batteries to prevent a surge into the motor.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on October 16, 2019, 06:14:36 AM
All the Minn Kotas I've used recommended disconnecting the power when charging the batteries to prevent a surge into the motor.
Rodney

There's only a risk of damage if the TM power switch is on and the real risk is to the digital control models. What I try to do is trip my circuit breaker before I plug my charger in. My breaker is in back with the batteries and charger so it's just part of my routine to reset it when I unplug the charger.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

Quote from: Princeton_Man on October 16, 2019, 07:41:28 AM
There's only a risk of damage if the TM power switch is on and the real risk is to the digital control models. What I try to do is trip my circuit breaker before I plug my charger in. My breaker is in back with the batteries and charger so it's just part of my routine to reset it when I unplug the charger.

Good to know!  I don't remember seeing anything like that in the instructions, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  Just curious, what do people use as a circuit breaker?  I am getting to that step next

Princeton_Man

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

Ordered a plug and circuit breaker.  Found one with a throw switch.  I also realized that I can't close the hatch to my anchor hatch with the TM where it is, so I have to move it up.   ~b~

If I do that I should be fine, except I may have to drill two more holes as I will only have 4 to attach to the deck using the predrilled holes. 

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TNDiver on October 18, 2019, 04:36:43 PM
Ordered a plug and circuit breaker.  Found one with a throw switch.  I also realized that I can't close the hatch to my anchor hatch with the TM where it is, so I have to move it up.   ~b~

If I do that I should be fine, except I may have to drill two more holes as I will only have 4 to attach to the deck using the predrilled holes.

Use large stainless steel fender washers on the underside.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club