MS Slammers and Big Rats

Started by Cuervo Jones, October 15, 2019, 11:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuervo Jones

Anybody else throw these types of baits? I haven't seen anyone on my local lakes here in Texas throwing them. Curious about the greater Ultimate Bass community. Anybody else throwing the big baits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quit reading this and go fishing!

loomisguy

I haven't thrown the Rat. But do throw the Magdraft, S waver , Hudd 68 ect.

fishballer06

My old tournament partner and I dabbled with big baits for a while and never had much luck. And then one 4th of July morning, he showed me a new bait he bought. A 7" MS Slammer.

My eyes went  :shocking: I thought there was no way a PA bass would go for a bait that big. He then proceeded to catch 5 bass in a half hour that were all in that 3.5-4.5 pound range.

To make a long story short, I now own about a half dozen Slammers in both 7 and 9".
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

coldfront

love the full sized spro rat.  gets some big bites, but smaller fish don't shy away either.

can't get to photos now.  but yeah, i toss them.   ~shhh

caddyjoe77

Yes and there are some threads on the subject. I throw some deps big baits, hudds, swaver, 6th sense glides.

Have not thrown a big rat yet.

What's your gear setup for those?
BeerMe

coldfront

Caddy,
I toss mine on a Powell HD max 806 'punch' rod.  fast action.  heavy.
use a curado e2007 spooled with 30lb suffix performance braid.

I like the longer rod.  8 foot or longer (muskie guys will get it).  two-handed casting.  heavy rod to drive big hooks into thick jaws.  I prefer braid as well.

haven't seen an issue with over-powering the reel yet.  been doing this now for 5 years.
seen some monsters on the bait.  have yet to get one in the boat. 

but a ton of 2-3 pounders have come over the sides.

I like it now.  I like it just pre spawn through post spawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkrFYCQF64

Cuervo Jones

I have a couple of different rods I use. One is an Okuma extra heavy musky rod for the big rats like Cl8 possums and Rago mink. Another is a lighter Okuma swimbait rod that works with slammers and Spro rats. It also handles smaller Cl8 baby possums and Nezzuma rats. Reels are Calcutta 400's and I use 25 lbs. Maxima.
Now that the weather is cooling off a bit, I'll be going out more often to chase the fat girls as they move shallower to bulk up. That means bigger surface baits like rats and slammers. Good to know there are some other guys out there throwing them too.

caddyjoe77

Sweet!  Yea I just got into the big baits recently.

Started out on the 13 fishing muse but I thought the tip was too stiff. I did catch 1 good one on it and it handled it well.

Then went nuts and bought a megabass orochi xx leviathan with a tatula HD 150 JDM. Great rod!! 

Definitely time to throw them no doubt I'll pick up a giant rat.
BeerMe

coldfront

Cuervo Jones

Just got the mail and lo and behold, my newest toy has arrived.

It's a little 7" slammer 2x. Should be killer on some of my local waters where the bass chow down on redears and bluegill all year. This will be my starter on Sunday when I head out to chase big mammas.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Cuervo Jones on October 18, 2019, 01:43:20 PM
Just got the mail and lo and behold, my newest toy has arrived.

It's a little 7" slammer 2x. Should be killer on some of my local waters where the bass chow down on redears and bluegill all year. This will be my starter on Sunday when I head out to chase big mammas.

What do those weigh? 
BeerMe

Cuervo Jones

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on October 18, 2019, 04:11:08 PM
What do those weigh?
Around 2 oz. surprisingly light for their size.

SteveTX

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on October 18, 2019, 04:11:08 PM
What do those weigh?
Off their website.  :)
QuoteThe 7" weighs 1.8ozs.
The 9" weighs 3ozs.
The 13" weighs 3.5ozs.
The MS Eel weighs 1.8ozs.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: SteveTX on October 18, 2019, 04:56:35 PM
Off their website.  :)

PSSHHHHHHHH!!!!  >:D  ~roflmao
BeerMe

BrandonK

I recently started throwing big swimbaits and wakebaits. I'm using a budget setup of a Muskie rod with a Shimano Cardiff. Have only been out a couple times with them

I also just started making an MS Slammer knockoff last night. It gets clearcoat and hooks today. I can't bring myself to pay that kinda money for something that I feel I can make myself for much cheaper.

Cuervo Jones

Very cool. I made some rats a few years ago. They work great and catch fish. But lately there's so much pull on my time, I'd rather spend it doing things other than making wooden baits. When I added up the hours and materials needed to make my own, I realized buying baits is totally worth it to me. But if I had the time, I'd absolutely be knocking out home brew slammer and rat baits. Post them up when they're done and better yet, when you've stuck some hawgs on them!

caddyjoe77

Quote from: BrandonK on October 19, 2019, 06:28:22 AM
I recently started throwing big swimbaits and wakebaits. I'm using a budget setup of a Muskie rod with a Shimano Cardiff. Have only been out a couple times with them

I also just started making an MS Slammer knockoff last night. It gets clearcoat and hooks today. I can't bring myself to pay that kinda money for something that I feel I can make myself for much cheaper.

i'd like to see your version when you get it done. 
BeerMe

BrandonK

I don't think it turned out too bad considering it was with zero power tools (except a drill) and spray paints

8" long without tail

Cuervo Jones

AWESOME!!!!! That would put the hurt on the monsters around here, especially at night. Did you tank test it and tune it? Is it running true? Helluva nice job!!

BrandonK

Quote from: Cuervo Jones on October 19, 2019, 11:00:42 AM
AWESOME!!!!! That would put the hurt on the monsters around here, especially at night. Did you tank test it and tune it? Is it running true? Helluva nice job!!

None of the above haha. Taking it to a pond right now

BrandonK

Pond I went to is covered in pine needle and I couldn't get a clean retrieve, but it appears to make a giant wake and looks good from what I can tell. Maybe a little to the left

Cuervo Jones

Time to show it to some bass then I'd say! I'm hitting the lake first thing tomorrow to see what's doing. Rats, slammers, and frogs until (if) I decide to throw something else. Report will follow.

BrandonK

Well, it's not perfect. It blows out at higher speeds and it swims a little left, but all things considered I gotta say it's much better than I expected. It's such a simple design.

Won't let me post video but it looks fantastic with a slow or medium retrieve

caddyjoe77

Quote from: BrandonK on October 19, 2019, 12:41:47 PM
Well, it's not perfect. It blows out at higher speeds and it swims a little left, but all things considered I gotta say it's much better than I expected. It's such a simple design.

Won't let me post video but it looks fantastic with a slow or medium retrieve

AWESOME!! Great job!!
BeerMe

Cuervo Jones

Had a good day feeding my slammer to some hungry bass.

Nothing huge, but some nice solid 3-4 lbs bass. Bigger ones should be coming up shallower as it keeps cooling off around here.