Shreveport Boat Parking

Started by pbandjabame, October 19, 2019, 07:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbandjabame

Not strictly fishing related, but I live in south Shreveport and just got a lovely letter from the Metropolitan Planning Commission telling my I can't park my boat in my driveway. Apparently I have ten days to make it disappear.  My neighbor got one as well. Has anyone else gotten one of these? Is there anything we can do? This is ridiculous and is going to be a real pain for many folks

Ted

The Code states, "No recreational vehicle or trailer licensed to transport recreational vehicles or equipment may be stored within a residential driveway within the front or corner side yard for more than three days."

It is my understanding that the Code is in effect inside the city limits as well as an area of roughly 5 miles outside the city limits. No matter, if this is enforced, thousands of citizens would be affected.

https://library.municode.com/la/caddo_parish/codes/unified_development_code?nodeId=UNDECO_ART8OREPALO_8.10STREVE

WyattEarp

What does the letter say they will do if you don't move it ?

So it has to go in the back yard ?

I agree - ridiculous

I live in Stonewall  and have for since I was around 7 years old, glad I don't have to deal with this type of thing out here....

I will say however, more and more people are coming this way and the more that come the more they will bring these types of BS rules with them.

It does say |STORE|, so are they talking about old boats and trailers that are no longer in use ?

Go fishing every 3 days - problem solved

WTodd

This is stupid; even under HOA deed restrictions this is stupid. You should contact your rep and tell them to change the law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Man this is rough.

You need to rally the boaters, there are ton of them in the city. More than enough to effect the next Mayor race. Call that boy, everyone call they Mayor, write letters, form a committee, figure out how to make sure he knows just how serious a force boat owners are... If you don't want to have to keep your boats in a storage yard, probably the mayors or his kin, then you need to let him know you won't stand for it.

Once you get a few people involved, this is exactly the kind of things channel 12 and channel 3 news likes to investigate.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

skeeter_bite

MPC does not report to the mayor.  You will need to contact your city councilman/woman.
G Loomis rods and Shimano reels!

Ted

Does the city council make the ordinances for the MPC? Curious because the rules apply to an area 5 miles beyond the city limits which would mean someone that doesn't represent me makes an ordinance that affects me. ???

skeeter_bite

The MPC makes the ordinances that had to be approved by the City Council and the Caddo Parish Commission.  They enforce the Unified Development Code that was adopted a few years ago.  But the MPC reports directly to neither of them, the MPC is basically a separate entity, with no real authority over it.  Which is part of the ongoing problem...
And the members of the MPC are appointed, not elected, so you really have no representation.  Government does as government sees fit...
G Loomis rods and Shimano reels!

pbandjabame

Sorry I haven't posted on here, had a few unplanned work days. I've tried without success to reach the MPC rep who sent me the letter. It includes a direct line to his office, which he seemingly never answers and doesn't return calls. I was also sent a certified letter since I last posted, a direct duplicate of the first. I spoke with my neighbor across the street, who has a boat underneath his carport, he did not receive a notice whereas my next door neighbor received both letters. I'm hoping this means carport parking is fine, but according to the code it doesn't seem likely. I'm thinking they just overlooked his boat as he has a few vehicles parked in front of it. I really wish I could get in touch with the MPC and get some more info, but I'll keep trying. In the meantime I'm parked in the backyard, which is only a temporary solution.

Mike Cork

Well if they won't communicate with you, I guess you'll just have to wait until they come to you again.  ~bb

There has got to be a way to put some pressure on them to change this. There are way to many boat owners. I have to wonder too, if the letters are hit and miss... Did one of your neighbors get made at you, and report the situation as a violation?

Cork's Reel Service

Sandman7925

Abide by it or move to the sticks. Cities have laws like that.

I lived in a city for most my life. I left and can do what I want where I live and love it. Now someone can legally put a trailer park right next to my property and destroy my property value which could not be legally done in a city but hey I'll risk it.

pbandjabame

Mike, I haven't had any feuds with neighbors, and I don't have any new neighbors. There's some folks on the next street that park their boats/rvs in the street, I'm thinking maybe they got complaints and the inspector just hit the whole neighborhood. Who knows? You're right though, if they really start pressing this ordnance, they're going to make a lot of people mad.

Ted

I received my letter today. I live outside of the city limits and within 1,000 feet of the MPC limit. I have a boat trailer and an enclosed trailer (that isn't being used for commercial purposes) that are in violation. I guess I'll start by contacting the Parish Commissioner for my district.

Mike Cork

This is just crazy. Keep us posted guys, somehow we need to circle the wagons on this.

Cork's Reel Service

Ted

I was able to contact someone in the MPC. He said that the letters are not being generated because of a complaint. It's an effort to enforce the code throughout the Metropolitan Planning Commission's jurisdiction. This link shows the MPC limits.

https://shreveport.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=473e88d950914bae881e607005eacb1a

Mike Cork

I'm curious who one would call, communicate with, vote out.... Someone has to be responsible for the code and have the power to change it or get it on a city ballot.

Cork's Reel Service

Ted

I talked with the recently elected parish councilman for my district today but he's hasn't even been sworn in yet. In the city limits I would talk to the city councilman for the district where one resides.

pbandjabame

My neighbor just informed me that there will be a meeting at 505 Travis street at 3:30 PM on 11/19. I have prior obligations so I doubt I'll make it, but wanted to help get the word out.

pbandjabame

Read on Facebook that the meeting is THURSDAY 11/21 not tomorrow. Also read that there is currently work being done to reverse this rule, apparently led by Councilman Flurry.

BiggestBear

I think in Bossier you just have to have it on concrete and not grass.  I had a boat pad fenced off on side the house when I live there.

Mike Cork

Quote from: pbandjabame on November 18, 2019, 07:09:41 PM
Read on Facebook that the meeting is THURSDAY 11/21 not tomorrow. Also read that there is currently work being done to reverse this rule, apparently led by Councilman Flurry.

Great news, the councilman must own a boat :-*

Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

Or he knows boaters vote

Mike Cork

Quote from: WTodd on November 20, 2019, 03:00:02 PM
Or he knows boaters vote

~c~ ~c~ ~c~ I know the fisherman do, not sure about the pleasure boat folks but I imagine they do too.

Cork's Reel Service

Ted

There were several people complaining about the code at the parish commission meeting a couple of days ago and the commission has suspended enforcement of the code pending further review. I don't know if this means the code will still be enforced in the city limits or not.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the follow up Ted. Just and FYI if you guys attend the meetings you can throw around UB. Tell them you are in communication with many anglers on a public forum and everyone is discussing voting options.. I promise it works...

UB had a huge role in the slots around here... Both in removal and the process to get angler approval. This thread has had nearly 1000 views. That's a lot of votes for a city councilman.

Cork's Reel Service