Do I really need a quick release

Started by FishaHallic, October 20, 2019, 01:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishaHallic

Upgrading my trolling motor this winter and trying to get my ducks in row.  My question is do I really need a quick release mount?  I am looking at a Minn Kota Maxxum 80 with hand control, store my boat in my garage and at least 1 or 2 times a year will take a long weekends to fish camps and I will usually stop in the mornings before fishing for breakfast.  Now at breakfast I try to park where I can see my boat but that is not always practical and when I stay at the fish camps I only stay at ones where my boat is next to the room/cabin.  What do you guys do, remove your trolling motor in these situations? 

I know the mount is only $80 to $90 but money is an issue with buying new batteries and all new electrical set up (switching from 12 volt to 24 volt) and the cost of the trolling motor itself plus all the incidentals. 

Thanks for your responses.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

Bud Kennedy

One of the first questions I have to ask is.........Do you expect to have a Transducer affixed to your trolling motor?  If so then that would men you would have to take it off each time you pulled the motor.  Just judging from what you are describing, it does not seem that you are seldom without eyes on or other security on your boat.  To me what you are proposing is a bit of an overthink for a couple trips a year.  I have been towing bass boats around for well over 40 years and have not had the problem of theft.  I guess I am just lucky.

Capt. BassinLou

Based on the information posted I will say pass on the quick release. The odds that thieves are looking for a TM to steal and happen to come across your boat is very slim.

coldfront

I have a quick release and would not be without any more.

the very few time's I've had to take the TM off a boat for repairs, it's all been worth it.

one more  think I left out:  when I road trip with the boat, the TM ON, cover doesn't fit.
so taking the TM off the quick mount and putting on the deck solves that issue nicely.

TNDiver

I did not even know this existed.  I wondered the same thing, but I don't leave mine out.  I would imagine it would be hard to undo the screws that mount it to the deck.  Mine was a pain to install or are they just disconnecting the TM from the mount?
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

FishaHallic

No transducer so that won't be an issue.  I have a transom mount that I turned the head and use on the bow now, easy to take on and off but I really never take it off so and it comes off with the turn of two handles.  I don't know, that is a tough call, it will be a pain in rear to take off my new motor for boat going to the shop for sure, I never really thought about that.  It's a tracker Grizzly and they don't give you real access to the front for mounting. 

You guys brought up some good points, but I guess I would have to use quick release just for the fact of boat going to shop and may not use it really any other times unless it's an emergency because of what a pain it will be to install the thing in the first place.  Thanks for your thoughts on this.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

FishaHallic

The plot thickens, just saw this thread that mentions blind threaded inserts, I thought I would have to access under the deck for new trolling motor install but if I can avoid it I will.

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=138282.msg0#new
                            TRUTH MATTERS

Oldfart9999

I have a quick release for my Terrova, it makes moving the TM to the deck for winter storage much much easier.I leave the motor up on the bow when it's set up for fishing.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

TNDiver

I think my trolling motor weighs over 70 lbs.  How often do you guys remove your TM?  That would be a load and awkward at that height, at least when my deck boat is on its trailer.

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

coldfront

Quote from: TNDiver on October 21, 2019, 05:44:43 PMmy deck boat

i see your problem!   lo

I probably take my TM off the mount 3-5 times/year.  more if I take the boat on a road trip for a week or so; then it's off every night so i can put the cover on.

TNDiver

I wish I had a dedicated fishing boat, but it solves my problem of having a family boat and one I can use fishing.   I also am able to keep mine in my garage, so I don't have to worry about theft.    I could see the need for one at some point