The Monkey has hit me hard this month

Started by fishballer06, October 22, 2019, 10:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

I've bought myself three new reels in the past month. To help offset this, I sold off one of my old reels. So I guess it's not THAT bad, right?   >:D

I bought myself two new Shimano Bantam MGL's, but then I knew that I couldn't ignore the Daiwa bug while I was on a buying spree. So here is the latest addition to my arsenal. The new Tatula Elite Long Cast. Spooled up with 14lb Gamma Polyflex.

3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

Very nice, that's going to be an amazing set up. Congrats on some great equipment. You should be good for a while. Put the monkey back in the cage....

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Hows that long cast? You get a chance to fling a bait with it?
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fishballer06

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 22, 2019, 10:25:15 AM
Very nice, that's going to be an amazing set up. Congrats on some great equipment. You should be good for a while. Put the monkey back in the cage....

The monkey isn't going in his cage yet. I need to get some more jigs and spinnerbait molds for this winter. Then I should be good  lo

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 22, 2019, 11:00:10 AM
Hows that long cast? You get a chance to fling a bait with it?

Just got it Saturday. I spooled it up last night and put it on my 736CB. I'm going to sling some glide baits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits tonight if this rain will stop. Moving forward, this reel is probably going to get bounced around on different rods, depending on what I need it for. It should be a good do-all type of reel.

It feels really good in the hand. It's the first Tatula that I've held that is actually fairly comfortable to palm. It feels super smooth and the clutch feels great too. My only qualms so far are:

• The handle knobs are a little small for my liking. I'll be ordering some RCS knobs and replacing them.
  • The T-Wing sticks out just a smidge from the corner of the frame whenever it moves over to the palm side. This is probably only an issue for me because I have large hands and the way I palm the reel.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 22, 2019, 11:57:36 AM
The monkey isn't going in his cage yet. I need to get some more jigs and spinnerbait molds for this winter. Then I should be good  lo

Just got it Saturday. I spooled it up last night and put it on my 736CB. I'm going to sling some glide baits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits tonight if this rain will stop. Moving forward, this reel is probably going to get bounced around on different rods, depending on what I need it for. It should be a good do-all type of reel.

It feels really good in the hand. It's the first Tatula that I've held that is actually fairly comfortable to palm. It feels super smooth and the clutch feels great too. My only qualms so far are:

• The handle knobs are a little small for my liking. I'll be ordering some RCS knobs and replacing them.
  • The T-Wing sticks out just a smidge from the corner of the frame whenever it moves over to the palm side. This is probably only an issue for me because I have large hands and the way I palm the reel.
This Tatula was more molded off the Steez frame. I didnt like the TWS sticking out either on these, and I got small hands. Lol. I wish Daiwa would just stop with this, I wonder though how long they will keep with the TWS through their line up.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fishballer06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 22, 2019, 12:00:56 PM
This Tatula was more molded off the Steez frame. I didnt like the TWS sticking out either on these, and I got small hands. Lol. I wish Daiwa would just stop with this, I wonder though how long they will keep with the TWS through their line up.

That's what I heard. Every previous generation of Tatula has been so uncomfortable in my hands. This one definitely feels like a step in the right direction.

Lipripper

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 22, 2019, 11:57:36 AM
Yelp that monkey isn't done with you yet. and while your at it stop by here and feed him.  lo lo

All right who couldn't use a $40 Gift Card . Well here's you chance Monster Tackle is giving away one right here so stop by and enter. It's easy and only takes a minute and who knows you might get

Monster Fishing Tackle $40 Gift Card Giveaway 27 Oct 2019

Oh and while your in there looking for the answer to the question look around and buy a few things cause you could also enter into the big $150 Gift Card give away also.  ~c~ ~c~

Monster Fishing Tackle $150 Gift Code Giveaway

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

fishballer06

The rain has cleared up  ~sun
Time to test this bad boy out!

BarryFL

I have been wondering about the Elite series reels and what drives their price point without an SV spool.

The SV is a gamechanger.

When you have a chance to use it some, please post a review. Interested in a comparison to the Tatula SV, if you have one.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Lipripper

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 22, 2019, 03:29:25 PM
The rain has cleared up  ~sun
Time to test this bad boy out!
Well what you doing hanging out around here.  ~shade Get out there and catch some fish already.  lo lo Don't forget to tell us how it went and how you liked your new toy. ;D

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: BarryFL on October 22, 2019, 03:37:59 PM
I have been wondering about the Elite series reels and what drives their price point without an SV spool.

The SV is a gamechanger.

When you have a chance to use it some, please post a review. Interested in a comparison to the Tatula SV, if you have one.

~Barry~

SV spools are a specific niche. The spools are the keys to the reels when using for specific applications. Long cast models spools are geared for just that, "long casts". SV spools are more geared to shorter distances with more control, especially with lighter baits. Thus the different models based on the same platform, which in reality is mostly just the spool design.

fishballer06

Got out last night for a little over an hour with this reel to test it out. I was a little leery from the start, because this line broke about 8" above the knot whenever I tested it after tying on a buzzbait.

All that aside, I was a little blown away with the casting distance I was getting. I was throwing at 75% power and getting the same distance that I get with my Shimano MGL reels whenever I give them a full 100% power.

I'm not going to give a full review yet, because I didn't spend a ton of time with it, and I'm still getting used to this reel. The new no-adjust tension knob is a bit different, and the magnetic braking system is going to take a little getting used to as well. It seemed like I kept getting backlashes every time I threw with more than 80% power (or so), despite what I did with the brake dial.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend and put in a little more time with it. I'll report back if I do.

LgMouthGambler

Magforce is finicky when it comes to casting. Because its magnetic, and not centrifugal, you cant whip it. You more or less need to have a steady rate. Once you get used to it, you will be able to toss with ease, especially with the HLC reels by Daiwa.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 23, 2019, 11:31:15 AM
Got out last night for a little over an hour with this reel to test it out. I was a little leery from the start, because this line broke about 8" above the knot whenever I tested it after tying on a buzzbait.

All that aside, I was a little blown away with the casting distance I was getting. I was throwing at 75% power and getting the same distance that I get with my Shimano MGL reels whenever I give them a full 100% power.

I'm not going to give a full review yet, because I didn't spend a ton of time with it, and I'm still getting used to this reel. The new no-adjust tension knob is a bit different, and the magnetic braking system is going to take a little getting used to as well. It seemed like I kept getting backlashes every time I threw with more than 80% power (or so), despite what I did with the brake dial.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend and put in a little more time with it. I'll report back if I do.
So did you catch anything?  ;D

fishballer06

Quote from: Lipripper on October 23, 2019, 12:13:04 PM
So did you catch anything?  ;D

Only caught one, and it was the wrong species  ~rant

Lipripper

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 23, 2019, 02:06:03 PM
Only caught one, and it was the wrong species  ~rant
I saw your report and bummer and too bad you didn't catch a couple of them them you could of at lest cooked them up. ;D Here ya go this one had your name on it. Hope you still got room on your wall.  lo lo

Oldfart9999

Holy moly Lip is getting tough!!! :shocking: :shocking: He caught a fish but it was the wrong specie? ~roflmao ~roflmao
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FishinBuck07

Quote from: Lipripper on October 23, 2019, 03:14:51 PM
I saw your report and bummer and too bad you didn't catch a couple of them them you could of at lest cooked them up. ;D Here ya go this one had your name on it. Hope you still got room on your wall.  lo lo

Right here is the reason I don't put my fishing reports on here!!  lol  I would have a record I can promise you that!

fishballer06

Haha, right? Oh well, I'll hang it on my wall proudly.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishballer06 on October 24, 2019, 08:15:36 AM
Haha, right? Oh well, I'll hang it on my wall proudly.

Hang it on the wall? Put that fish in the fryer!  lo

Lipripper

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 24, 2019, 10:05:53 AM
Hang it on the wall? Put that fish in the fryer!  lo
He would need a few more of them that size to make a meal out of.  lo lo Heck I eat 8 to 10 fillets every time I cook them.