Portage chain 10/24

Started by Pipepro, October 24, 2019, 05:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipepro

Had an early dentist appointment today so I did the natural thing and took the whole day off. Wife and I headed out to the Portage lake chain to try our luck.

Weather was partly sunny and temps in the low 50s. Winds out of the North around 5 to 10mph. Water temps 53.4 degrees.

I have been playing with my navionics app and had a few places I wanted to graph. We found some fish  under some bait in about 14 feet of water.  Not huge schools but even with my minimal Hook3 sonar you could see the bass under the bait. 

I won a raffle earlier this year and splurged on my first spinning setup because I wanted to learn how to dropshot. Perfect timing! 15lb PowerPro with 8lb sunline leader tied to a #1 VMC  Neko hook. Picked out a Strike king rage swimmer 3.25 Ghost shad color and a 1/4 oz pencil sinker.

Flipped it out, let it hit bottom. Lifted the rod tip and wham! Just like it's supposed to happen! Went on to catch 3 more and lost one big one when he wrapped me up in the motor.

You can see in the pics I don't have much for sonar on the boat so I moved to the back to see a bit of what I'm supposed to be dropping to. A front mounted sonar and a new/bigger one for the console are in order. The wife thought it was cool seeing the fish on the screen and then actually catching them.

Lots of fun, and I'm sure I'll be doing more of this in the future!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Lipripper

Thanks for the report and glad y'all caught some fish. ~c~ It's  8) that your wife likes to watch the fish on there as you catch them . With her on board I can see some new sonar on the front.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

j cal

Looks like a great time out!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Joe-L

zippyduck

Dropshots can be deadly this time of the year. Congrats on the catches.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bigbass201

I love fishing that chain of lakes!   Way to piece together that drop shot bite!  Did you stay on Portage, or did you venture into the other connecting lakes?
R & J Bass Fishing Videos

https://rumble.com/c/c-364035

Pipepro

Quote from: Bigbass201 on November 10, 2019, 05:02:41 AM
I love fishing that chain of lakes!   Way to piece together that drop shot bite!  Did you stay on Portage, or did you venture into the other connecting lakes?

A few weeks ago we had fished up the chain a bit, but I stayed in Big Portage for most of the afternoon. Once the wind picked up so I couldnt stay on my spots, I moved over to little Portage and found a few there.

I really like fishing that chain as well, the only bummer is the tiny launch. I hate that its the largest chain of lakes around here and only has parking spots for 20. Sheish. Way to Go Michigan! I just got back from a trip to Lake Cumberland KY, and the launch down by the dam was one of the biggest I have ever seen! 2 things we cant make here in Michigan, roads and boat launches! 
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Lipripper

Quote from: Pipepro on November 10, 2019, 11:11:19 AM
A few weeks ago we had fished up the chain a bit, but I stayed in Big Portage for most of the afternoon. Once the wind picked up so I couldnt stay on my spots, I moved over to little Portage and found a few there.

I really like fishing that chain as well, the only bummer is the tiny launch. I hate that its the largest chain of lakes around here and only has parking spots for 20. Sheish. Way to Go Michigan! I just got back from a trip to Lake Cumberland KY, and the launch down by the dam was one of the biggest I have ever seen! 2 things we cant make here in Michigan, roads and boat launches!
Isn't that the truth. MY son and daughter both live up there and and y'all have lakes everywhere but most of them your lucky if you can find a spot to park 15 boats at them and the roads in winter time are a mess.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bigbass201

Man are you spot on about that!  This time of year I prefer Little Portage over Big Portage anyway.  That small channel stinks for loading and unloading.  I was on Barron Lake in Kentucky about 3 weeks ago.  I didn't take the boat, but man do they have big boat launches there also.
R & J Bass Fishing Videos

https://rumble.com/c/c-364035