705 glass and 805cb

Started by strongx, October 25, 2019, 10:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongx

Gentlemen,

Another crankbait question. I was trying out my 705 glass this week to see how deep a diver I could use. I really like the rod and it feels good for lipless, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and 8-12' cranks like DLNs. But the deeper divers like 5/6xd's and dd22's still felt hard to fish. After a few cast and retrieves, I was ready to try something else. I am understanding that a longer rod like the 805 is great for deep divers. My question is does the 705 glass and 805cb overlap for crankbaits or will something like a 765 be needed between the two? Will the 805 be good for dt10's? Dt14's? Whats the bottom of the sweet spot for the 805? :help:

coldfront

I'm liking a 755 and stepping up to a 765 for things like XD6/DD22 and bigger

Dink Dawg

I don't own the 805CB but it was built for the DD22 which it 5/8 ounce.  I have a 764CB which handles the DD22 well so the 805CB should work with baits up to an ounce.  There is some on line stuff about about the Paul Mueller model which is the 805CB "glass" which is composite.  If the length is not a turn off, that would be a great option.  I'm sure Gary is hunting but he may chide in soon.

strongx

Thanks guys. Like I said, I think I like the 705 glass for lipless, chatterbaits/spinnerbaits and cranks up to about 12'. So if the 805cb can take over on the cranks where the 705 glass leaves off, then the decision for me is deciding between the 805 glass or graphite.

If it matters between those two, right now, I don't expect to start buying and throwing 8/10xd's. I like the action of the 705 glass rod so maybe I would like the 805 Paul Mueller. I'm looking for something that is not exhausting to fish. I would put a tournament mb 5.6 on it. All advice is appreciated.

fishballer06

I have the 765cb and a DT10 seems like the sweet spot for that rod. I also have an 806cb that I use for my really big billed stuff.

My 705cb is a good all around moving bait rod. Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swim jigs, rattle traps, squarebills, DT4/6's, etc. It's such a versatile rod.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

strongx

I have read about others using the 765 for bigger cranks but didn't think it would handle the 5/6xd's. I was hoping to go from the 705 glass to the 805 without needing another rod for cranks between those sweet spots. I don't plan on fishing with the 8/10xd's right now so the 806 might be a little too heavy for what I need.

BTW-I'm getting used to these dobyns cranking rods and think they are awesome.

Gary Dobyns

The DC 764CB was made with the Deep Little N in mind. It fishes wiggle warts, Rock Crawlers and mid-size baits well. The DC 805 CB was made as a DD 22 and 6XD sized baits. The DC 806CB was made for 8XD and 10XD baits. By pure accident our best 10 XD rod might be the DC 794SB. It simply takes some of the work out of that "man-Killer" bait.

The DC 705CB Glass is a very popular rod but used mostly with traps and medium divers, it's a 5 power but handles heavier baits as well. Some anglers will want a stiffer or softer action depending on their likes. You can do a lot with our 5 powers. But don't over look that 764 CB, it's one of my favorites. THX!!!

strongx

So if I use a 705 glass for the squarebills and up, and a 805 for the dd22 and down, will they overlap in their best fishing ranges or will I need another rod between them like a 764cbrm or 765 glass? Recommendations?  :surrender:

Mike Cork

They are going to overlap well. However as experience has told/taught me, the better I get with a presentation, say crankbaits, I learn that I want to get that perfect rod for each presentation. It's an obsession. What I'm getting at is that yes they will overlap and work great for you. But as you start really dialing in your crankbait fishing, your gonna want that middle rod.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

strongx

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 07, 2019, 09:43:24 AM
They are going to overlap well. However as experience has told/taught me, the better I get with a presentation, say crankbaits, I learn that I want to get that perfect rod for each presentation. It's an obsession. What I'm getting at is that yes they will overlap and work great for you. But as you start really dialing in your crankbait fishing, your gonna want that middle rod.
Thx Mike. That's what I needed to know. The obsession thing is getting to me as well. :-* But if I can "buy some time" after getting an 805 that would be great. I need something to throw the dd22 and 5/6xds on. The more I read about the 764cbrm the more I think I need one on those as well. ;) Should I expect the 764cbrm to replace the 705 glass for squares, dt6s, and DLNs or be a tweener rod between the 705 and 805? From what I have read, the 764 may be ALOT better rod for those baits anyway.I could always use the 705 glass for chatters I guess.

Mike Cork

Keep us posted as the obsession takes hold. Sounds like you really enjoy the feel of the crankbait. Many anglers don't even know there is such a thing, crankbaits are chunk and wind for them.

Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 11, 2019, 09:34:36 AM
Keep us posted as the obsession takes hold. Sounds like you really enjoy the feel of the crankbait. Many anglers don't even know there is such a thing, crankbaits are chunk and wind for them.

So true, so true. Then there is the feel of what your line is doing while your cranking and how that can help you avoid hangups.  ~shhh
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

strongx

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 11, 2019, 09:34:36 AM
Ok guys, a little more advice is requested. I have (2) 705 glass champion rods and one 705cb from the fury line. I like them all and they seem to be able to handle about everything - great all around rods. But the monkey is demanding another rod. I'm trying to decide which one to get next with "next" being the key word:

1. A 805 cbrm or 805 paul Mueller for the dd22's and 6xd's;
2. 764 cb for medium divers and it is described as the best crankbait rod;
3. 704 cb for smaller squares/cranks and jerks;
4. 736 glass for chatter/spinner and other stuff.

I probably won't need all of these but having the "right" rod for the lure makes it a lot better. The 705's I have work fine for the chatter/spinner and medium divers, so maybe one of the 805's or 736 glass would be next.

Opinions?

zippyduck

Stongx,

In your case the 805 would be my next one. the 736 would do the same stuff plus chatterbaits. You already have that covered.
The 805 is going to cast farther and handle the bigger baits for really deep cranking.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

strongx

Quote from: zippyduck on December 09, 2019, 10:07:14 PM
Stongx,

In your case the 805 would be my next one. the 736 would do the same stuff plus chatterbaits. You already have that covered.
The 805 is going to cast farther and handle the bigger baits for really deep cranking.
Thx zip. I was leaning to the 805 but then reconsidered and started to go with the 704 for smaller stuff. I guess I talked myself out of it! Do you recommend the cbrm or the glass for the 805? it will be for 6XDs and DD22's and the like.

zippyduck

That would be a personal preference. If you want more sensitivity then the 805cbrm. If you want less strain on your forearms then the glass. Also the glass tends to hold fish better for me.

If throwing just the bigger baits I would go glass myself.

strongx

Quote from: zippyduck on December 11, 2019, 06:09:35 PM
That would be a personal preference. If you want more sensitivity then the 805cbrm. If you want less strain on your forearms then the glass. Also the glass tends to hold fish better for me.

If throwing just the bigger baits I would go glass myself.
As I get older, I am all about less strain. So the glass sounds really good. I have heard the 805 cbrm was made for dd22's. Will the 805 glass handle them and 6XD's about as well? Besides sensitivity, any other limitations from the glass? I have read a lot of online opinions on them both. Trying to get all the info I can as the rods are pricey (for me) and I cant put one in my hand. I also realize that either one is probably going to be awesome for me.

zippyduck

Being as it is only part glass not much difference. The only difference with the glass models is accuracy takes a slight hit. Still has the hooking power but has a little more leeway to keep a fish pinned. It will throw the same lures.

Mike Cork

Strongx I think you'll be very happy with the 805 glass as long as you are comfortable fishing an 8 ft rod. It will cast both the DD22 and the 6XD's well. And as Zippy stated it takes stress off the arms. But it can be awkward at first because it's long, but if you're used to fishing the upper 7 foot rods then it's not going to be an issue.

Cork's Reel Service

strongx

Thx guys. That is all helpful. Through reading a bunch of opinions on these rods, Gary has sold me on the 764cbrm. I know I will end up with one of those. He really goes on about it. Do you think using both a graphite 764 with a glass 805 is the best plan? Or should stay with all glass or all graphite? Tell me if I am splitting hairs?

From what I have read, these two can cover most all crankbaits except for close quarters. I have both 7' glass and graphite for those. I am liking these dobyns crankbait rods. ~c~

zippyduck

Yes using both is a good plan. Some rods are just designed better with one or the other.