Lake Kerr info?????need help bad.

Started by flippin-fool, May 16, 2006, 08:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flippin-fool

Guys I'm fishing the BFL gator division and if all goes well in my last tourney Sept 9 and 10, I will be advancing to the regionals in NC on lake Kerr. I currently sit in 3rd place in the non boater standings, so I should make it even if I fall flat on my face in the last tourney. Anyway the regional is set for the beginning of October. I am looking for any patterns that fish will be on during that month as well as water clarity, depth, temp, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
I live in Florida therefore I am a flippin fool.

Creel Limit Zero

Hey flipping-fool.  Congrats on doing well in the BFL.   ~c~  Nice work.  You may want to post another one in the Virginia Bass fishing reports section as well.  It is located mostly in Virginia.  Also, a 3 day out of state fishing license is cheaper if bought in Virginia...

I know Reddmann fishes Buggs Island Lake (Kerr Reservoir) quite often.  He might be able to give you some good tips.  I've only fished Kerr in the spring...

Good luck to you.   ~c~

flippin-fool

Thanks CLZ. I'm going to post there now. When you fish there in the spring how is the water clarity? Is this lake the typical deep southern lake, I mean does it have lots of ledges and drop offs close to shore. Here in Florida our lakes are mostly soup bowls with gradual banks and lots of hydrilla, Kissimme grass, weeds, slop, etc. Can you give me a mental picture of what to expect from Kerr?

As for my currant position in the BFL. I have two things to thank for that, great boaters who put us on fish and the ability to junk fish. It can be challenging fishing behind such great fisherman especially when they position the boat to best aid themselves (which I completely understand). I have had to adapt by using spinning tackle and different tactics to put fish in the boat. It is fun though.

Creel Limit Zero

I've always fished it in pre-spawn, water temps in the upper 40's to low 50's.  Never got warm enough to have a lot of slop/grass.  I hear there is a lot of grass in the upper creek arms in the summer.  There are a lot of lay downs and bushes that hold nice fish.  Very few docks.  Lake is generally muddy up lake and clear more towards the dam.  It does have both gradual banks in the feeder creeks and a lot of ledges and drop offs in the main portion of the lake.  I think your best bet is to explore the upper creek arms and follow the ditches and channels in the fall looking for those migrating bait fish, but I'm only speculating.   ;) 

I know one thing, you should be watching where the pool is on Kerr, it can vary significantly due to rain fall and power generation.  You will want to find out what level it is at.  Also huge to know when they are going to generate power if possible.  Not sure how to find that out, but if they are generating, there will be a nice current going on.  That will change how the fish are biting. 

Hopefully it'll be at full pool, at low levels the water can be below the bushes.  That's no fun.   :'(

flippin-fool

I know what you mean (currant generation). Here on lake Kissimmee, when they are pushing water thru the dams the bass stack up with their forks and knives ready to eat. I will look into the power generation as the event gets closer. Thanks.

Jason

flippin
fished kerr alot while i was living in virginia and in the federation up there. when you are fishing the lake in october the fish will be in a schooling mode. the lake is not like your lakes down in florida. the lake predominant structure is points. the lake and river are just full of them. one thing i would try is a carolina rigged fluke or lake fork ring fry and pound the points. the lake also has humps and ridges. the water temp should be in the high to mid 60's. lake is full of 3-4 lb fish.

flippin-fool

Jason thanks. I will have a c rig ready. I don't get to choose fishing locations as the non boater but I will be ready with the right rigs.

flippin-fool

Okay guys the date is set October 12,13,14th. Launch at Satterwhite point. Guys I need help real bad even as a non boater. I need things like water clarity. Water temp (that time of year). Type of cover. Basically any details about lake Kerr that might help me prepare.

I limped into the tournament after falling from 3rd in the Gator division to 36th following a horrible last outing and getting zeroed. Any information on Kerr would be greatly appreciated thanks.

reddman

Quote from: flippin-fool on September 11, 2006, 09:50:06 AM
Okay guys the date is set October 12,13,14th. Launch at Satterwhite point. Guys I need help real bad even as a non boater. I need things like water clarity. Water temp (that time of year). Type of cover. Basically any details about lake Kerr that might help me prepare.

I limped into the tournament after falling from 3rd in the Gator division to 36th following a horrible last outing and getting zeroed. Any information on Kerr would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Email me

I cant help you out.  Just make sure you mention this post when you email me....

Later REDDMAN