Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2" Trailer ball/stainless steel?  (Read 1454 times)

FishaHallic

• Smallmouth
  • Clearwater Florida
2" Trailer ball/stainless steel?
« on: October 27, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »

This may be a stupid question but when I am driving around I see trucks with their hitches/balls all sparkly and shiny and I wonder if they actually use them, mine is kinda rusty and greasy looking but I use it on a weekly basis.  I suppose my ball is chrome platted, I don't know but do they make like a stainless steel ball and or hitches that won't rust.  Vanity is not an issue for me but my hitch and ball do look a little tacky  :embarassed:.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec

9lbs 15oz PB

WTodd

• Charter Member
Re: 2" Trailer ball/stainless steel?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 07:23:54 PM »

Your instincts are correct; they have them for looks only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishaHallic

• Smallmouth
  • Clearwater Florida
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 08:13:50 PM »

Well that sucks, I tell you what if I did not need a hitch I would take it off.  Thanks
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec

9lbs 15oz PB

SteveTX

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »

Just know there is nothing wrong with using equipment for what it was meant to do. Even if it scratches it up a little bit.  lo

On the subject of trailer hitch balls. I wont call the forum name but probably the most hilarious thread I ever read was about to grease the ball or not.  ~roflmao
AOY 19' IBASS Hot Rodders Zone

bigjim5589

• Forum Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 09:30:44 PM »

I've never given that any thought, but my truck looks beat up anyway! It's what happens when you let your wife drive it!  ::)

I would think that stainless steel would not be strong enough to be used as a hitch ball. Those I've bought have all been chromed, and after awhile would get beat up & scratched but again, not something that ever concerned me.

I did use a light utility trailer for awhile to get my Gheenoe around, and if they make them out of stainless, I guess it would have been OK since it was all very light. I wouldn't trust it with a bigger bass boat, that's for sure!  :shocking:
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:25:04 AM »

My trailer ball is close to 20 years old, I recently sprayed it with some WD 40, and used a very light wire pad and cleaned off all the grime on it. Surprisingly it came out looking pretty dang shiny.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 11:02:40 AM »

Just get one of those bass shaped ball covers, nobody will laugh too hard. lo lo ::) You could always buy a user ball and a looker ball you keep waxed and polished. ~shade ::)
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FishaHallic

• Smallmouth
  • Clearwater Florida
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »

There won't be a "looker ball",  I guess I will be like all the rest of the real boaters and leave my ugly ball on the truck, I use it too much to be switchin all the time.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec

9lbs 15oz PB

SteveTX

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 03:43:20 PM »

There won't be a "looker ball",  I guess I will be like all the rest of the real boaters and leave my ugly ball on the truck, I use it too much to be switchin all the time.
Thats the spirit! Tell them its Patina, seems there are a lot of people that like rust and horrible paint these days.

Another good thing about leaving that ball in is how it will absolutely wreck these little cars today if they hit you from behind. A buddy just got hit the other day and it saved the back of his truck. Not even a scratch but it made a awesome V in the front of that car.  lo

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »

Thats the spirit! Tell them its Patina, seems there are a lot of people that like rust and horrible paint these days.

Another good thing about leaving that ball in is how it will absolutely wreck these little cars today if they hit you from behind. A buddy just got hit the other day and it saved the back of his truck. Not even a scratch but it made a awesome V in the front of that car.  lo
~roflmao ~roflmao That's not funny but it is funny.  lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 07:02:16 AM »

^^^ This is very true ^^^ ask me how I know.

West6550

• Ultimate Basser
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 07:08:08 AM »

Steve is one point. As a prior cop and then insurance adjuster.. leave the hitch on it. I have never worried about how it looks. If I see a hitch on a vehicle then I assume they use it. Unless it's on a stupidly lifted truck with a 37" drop adjustable hitch. Come to think of it.. I can't recall ever seeing a trailer on one of those trucks

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 07:15:48 AM »

Technically it's it's illegal to leave the hitch on when it's not in use in the peoples Republic of New York, you might wreck your shin bumbing into it in a parking lot.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

West6550

• Ultimate Basser
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »

Technically it's it's illegal to leave the hitch on when it's not in use in the peoples Republic of New York, you might wreck your shin bumbing into it in a parking lot.
Rodney
That's hilarious! Oh I forgot to mention tri balls hitches are the best!

FishaHallic

• Smallmouth
  • Clearwater Florida
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »

Oh great, my ball is dirty and greasy and I have a tri ball hitch to boot, I can't win.  I promise you this though, I am polishing my balls this weekend!  Pictures to follow  lo
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec

9lbs 15oz PB

SteveTX

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 09:04:42 PM »

I also have a tri ball hitch. When I had a jon boat it had a small hitch and my big boat uses the large ball. I got tired of going digging to find the correct size to swap them. With the tri ball hitch I always have the correct one with me.  ;) And I dont have to store any in my truck.

As for the shin damage after the 3rd of forth time you hit it you learn to leave a little room when walking behind trucks.  ;) Don't ask me how I know.  lo

Texans would laugh at a law requiring the removal of the hitch when not in use. If they made it a law they could write tickets non stop around here. Everyone has cattle trailers, side by side trailers, car haulers, lawn mower trailers, boat trailers etc etc etc.  ~roflmao

It would be about on par with Beto saying he would take our guns. What a dumb thing to say in Texas.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.