Why can’t I see my bait on my graph?

Started by Ice Cold Peanuts, November 07, 2019, 07:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice Cold Peanuts

Graph on the bow is a Humminbird 858. I can never see the jig dropping down under me. Transducer is mounted in the trolling motor so I'm confident it's straight down. Is it more likely sensitivity, the kHz setting or something else? I'm sure there are many factors that need to be right. What are your thoughts?
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

Princeton_Man

Are you using 2D? Try increasing the sensitivity.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Wayne P.

Quote from: Ice Cold Peanuts on November 07, 2019, 07:42:44 PM
Graph on the bow is a Humminbird 858. I can never see the jig dropping down under me. Transducer is mounted in the trolling motor so I'm confident it's straight down. Is it more likely sensitivity, the kHz setting or something else? I'm sure there are many factors that need to be right. What are your thoughts?

Chart Speed at 10.
Use 83/200 kHz.
Switchfire Max and adjust Sensitivity to have just a little clutter.
Maintain boat control so your presentation is straight down.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Wayne P.

This is with a Helix G3N MEGA unit that has less coverage than 83 kHz (42 degrees vs 60 degrees). Tandem crappie jigs 1/16 oz and 1/32 oz.

Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Ice Cold Peanuts

Thanks guys, I'll check the KHZ I'm running at and make sure I'm on 2D. Cold Front - I'd send a screen shot if I knew how to do that.

Unfortunately I put Irene to bed for the winter Saturday as low-and-behold, it snowed last night. I won't get a chance to test anything until maybe April. ARGH I hate to hear me say that.

Thanks again all.
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

coldfront

Quote from: Ice Cold Peanuts on November 11, 2019, 04:08:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check the KHZ I'm running at and make sure I'm on 2D. Cold Front - I'd send a screen shot if I knew how to do that.

Unfortunately I put Irene to bed for the winter Saturday as low-and-behold, it snowed last night. I won't get a chance to test anything until maybe April. ARGH I hate to hear me say that.

Thanks again all.

cell phones work even for challenged guys like me!  ~roflmao

just have to email the image, then 'host it'.  then attach it.  5 years later?  boom!

simple!

Oldfart9999

Easiest thing to do is work with your sensitivity then the KHZ you're running with. Surface clutter is another thing to work with, takes time and patience but is doable and you'll learn how to make adjustments on the fly.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.