Power Pro response....

Started by FiveAlive, May 16, 2006, 04:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveAlive

Dear Taylor,

We're sorry for the trouble you have experienced with our line.  PowerPro is the premium line on the market and everyone at Innovative Textiles takes great pride in ensuring that we continue to not only meet, but also exceed industry standards.  Here are some suggestions that may help reduce the problems you have been experiencing:

·        If you experience excessive line wear or unexplained break-offs, check your rod tip and guides with a Q-tip to make sure there are no microscopic burrs or cracks – the fibers of the Q-tip will pull out if there is a rough spot.
·        Set your drag to match your tackle. We recommend that you back off on your drag setting - go a little lighter than your monofilament setting for your reel. No stretch lines can be tough on the gears in light reels. Also, since you are not loosing power down the length of the line as with mono, you will not loose hook setting ability.
·        PowerPro doesn't require the same motion as monofilament.  When you get a strike, a gentle snap of your wrist will set the hook.  Because there is no stretch, every inch you move your rod tip equals an inch of movement at the lure.  Also, attaching a monofilament or fluorocarbon leader to your PowerPro line can help absorb some of the shock of the initial strike.
·        Spectra Fiber is an especially dense material, and color simply encapsulates the line and wears away with time. This is normal and does not affect the strength or performance of the line. To re-color the PowerPro simply put a slit in a permanent magic maker's tip and run your line through it.
·        If your line starts to feel soft or mushy on the reel, especially when fishing with light baits, you should repack your reel.  Make an extra long cast or let the line out behind your boat, then reel it in while holding the line taut with your fingers.  This will improve casting performance and keep the line from "digging in" after a solid strike.
·         Knot tips: Try passing the line through the eye twice before tying your knot - this will improve your knot strength by 25% instantly.
·        Weights with rough or sharp edges on the inside can cause nicks and abrasions that will damage your line.  Try pushing a toothpick or a hook through the tip end of the weight to smooth out the edges, before using it.
·        IMPORTANT: Although PowerPro is extremely strong, it isn't indestructible.  If the line starts to look frayed or worn, this is your indication that it's time to retie. If you are fishing around rocks and structure, you will need to retie more often than if you are trolling in clear water.   This way your line will always perform at rated strength.  When your reel no longer has enough line capacity, it's time to take off the rest of the old line and tie on a fresh section of PowerPro.   

If you feel the line proplem is a manufacturing one , please fill out the attached form.   

thanks, Ken C.

Chasin' the dream.

T1A

sounds like ya get the blow off ::)

FiveAlive

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that 8)
Chasin' the dream.

Fishaholic

:roll2: ~roflmao :roll2: :roll2: that's a form letter...it's exactly the same response I got  :roll2: :roll2:

BigCheese

That's kinda what I figured they would say ::)

Denny Brauer

I think it is time for me to try some different braid.
Denny >:(
JIGMEN LIKE BIG GIRLS

FiveAlive

Yeah I figured they just pasted my name on a letter....oh well, better go strip the Power Pro off my reel lo
Chasin' the dream.

JayPea2006

Before the bashing of power Pro begins let me just quote them "while the product is strong, it is not indestructible".

My point is that before you go and start a lynching give the product a fair shake. Respool with fresh Power Pro and follow the steps they outlined to ensure you are getting the most out of the product as well as your investment. Then re-evaluate it's performance.

I'm not sponsored by Power Pro, but have put it under some pretty tough conditions such as pitching 20 feet deep into flooded timber and ripping fish through it back to the boat. I do my part to make sure it is in top condition and have not had a problem with the product.

Good luck and hope you'll give it another chance.

FiveAlive

I've been thinking about going to 65 lb test and giving it another shot. We'll see.......
Chasin' the dream.

GotstaFish

When I snag a crank bait in the rocks 20# Power Pro with tow my 19 foot 3000# boat to the snag. Sounds like you have a guide or know issue.  ~shade
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

LoonyToon

:-\ Did You check your guides with a Q-Tip as was suggested before you got that response............
   It is a standard form letter sent to 99.9% of their public customers, so don't be upset......
:-* .......If you deal alot with the store you got your line from go to the sporting goods mngr. and explain to him/her your situation and see if they won't let you have another spool to try out and let him send it back----------remember the merchants motto: Customer Satisfaction or your money/product exchange back...............
   If you can find out who their Bait and Tackle supplier is you may stand a shot that way, otherwise you have to spend your $$$$
on a product you were not too satisfied with---that is if You really want to give it another try----------Personally I left that crap 2 1/2 years ago and started using Stealth by spiderwire for the same reasons.....I have very very very few problems with the stealth......
except I have ruined a good light tackle reel (stripped gears) my bad.

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Creel Limit Zero

So what was the form that they sent.  Maybe fill it out and see what happens?  I'm sure everyone will get this standard response, but go one step further, and maybe someone will respond in more than a form letter...

hesjustbassin

After reading the response, I opened a box of powerpro and the response almost matches what they put on their foldout.  >:( Not very much thought given at all in their response.
'Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting the different results' Albert Einstein.

topcat

That letter they sent was a first responce letter......they gave you the option to go to step two and file a claim.....using the form they sent.....in many cases the first letter satisfy the customer and all are happy...

if you file the claim they will probably send you a new spool of line and all will be well....so that is up to you.....what else can they do...lets be reasonable...and as JayPea said lets don't drag their name through the mud give the line another chance.......

I think your problem is with the weight...and not with Power Pro.....or there would be a lot of complaints filed if the line was bad from the factory..I would suggest you change weights and see if it wasn't the weight or the bobber you was using......you read what I pasted to you from BassPro so check the weight out also.... and send them a letter of concern as you did Power Pro.......

Topcat

FiveAlive

I am going to give them another chance, not dragging anyones name in the mud ~shade
Chasin' the dream.

topcat

FiveAlive  ~c~ thats a great decision.....I would give the line another chance... and check that weight.....I believe is your problem....hope you are not offended at that phrase dragging in the mud....you know what I  mean     ;)  .......

Topcat

FiveAlive

I'm not saying it's not the weight, I just don't see how it could be??? Me and my buddy are BOTH using the BPS tungsten and the weights have the inserts in them. I recently turned him onto the bobber stops to peg the weights, and he wasn't having any problems. He has already switched brands also. I can't give up the BPS weights, I get too good of a price on them to give them up (My dad works at BPS part time).  :-\
Chasin' the dream.

TeamFATBOY

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything but what are you looking for or trying to acheive out of this? :-\

Chemdawg

The bottom line is you need to be comfortable with the brand you choose.
"We sleep safely in our beds because brave men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm." George Orwell

Warpath

I used to use Power pro on a regular basis and only recently respooled one of my spinning rods with it.  I do use a 20 # fluoro leader on my Power Pro, which is the 6 # diameter, 20 # test version.  I haven't noticed any difficulties with the line or knot strength.  Sorry your having trouble 5 Alive. 

What I would do is take every piece of the set up out and replace it.  Use a different weight just for a day and see if you break off.  Use a mono or fluoro leader as suggested and see if you have problems.  Mix and match until you find the problem.  I know I was having issues with fluoro and palomar knots that I was not having with mono or fluoro.  Now I only use the trilene knot with fluoro and I have had zero issues. 

Hope you get it figured out. 

Eric

NC Buck

Any of you guys that are getting rid of your PowerPro line, send it to me.  It is the best braid I have ever used.   '-{