I made an impulse buy...

Started by Jacobguy, December 01, 2019, 12:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacobguy

Ok so in my defense everyone it's a really good deal, anyways I went out and bought the Lews Mach II casting reel for $70 when it retails at $140 I know a lot of people here are partial to shimano and daiwa because its american made but I couldnt resist. Anyways it's a 7.5.1 gear ratio and I'm not sure what rod I'm going to get to pair it with, I already have a Daiwa Fuego CT 8.3.1 with a Dobyns 735C so what kind should I pair it with to cover the most amount of techniques possible (medium)? Also which is better for top water? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but its exciting getting new toys . What do you guys think of the reel and what rod would you pair it with? Thanks so much guys, also I know I havent been posting much lately but trust me I'm still actively fishing and stalking the forum in the shadows. Thanks a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

SteveTX

I'm a Lew's guy and don't have a problem fishing what ever brand I like the features and comfort of. If the other brands wanted my business they would offer reels that compare in the size and shape with the same or better features for the same money or less.

As for the reel I think aesthetically a Fury rod would be a great choice. Green and black. I like the 95mm handle and knob material. My big hands in my head work better with the wider spaced knobs. Its a Magnetic controlled reel and they work pretty good I have quite a few, but I prefer the newer (ACB) centrifugal systems.

A Medium Heavy is going to give you probably the better overall amount of techniques possible. So I'd say a Fury FR 734C since its a budget rod assuming you looking budget price.

On the bad side from my opinion I pass on all the non aluminum frame reels. This reel is a plastic (graphite frame) frame reel. Its just my opinion and I'm not trying to bash. But Lew's reels are inherently smaller and with less material I believe the stronger more rigid material the better.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SteveTX on December 01, 2019, 12:23:19 PM
I'm a Lew's guy and don't have a problem fishing what ever brand I like the features and comfort of. If the other brands wanted my business they would offer reels that compare in the size and shape with the same or better features for the same money or less.

As for the reel I think aesthetically a Fury rod would be a great choice. Green and black. I like the 95mm handle and knob material. My big hands in my head work better with the wider spaced knobs. Its a Magnetic controlled reel and they work pretty good I have quite a few, but I prefer the newer (ACB) centrifugal systems.

A Medium Heavy is going to give you probably the better overall amount of techniques possible. So I'd say a Fury FR 734C since its a budget rod assuming you looking budget price.

On the bad side from my opinion I pass on all the non aluminum frame reels. This reel is a plastic (graphite frame) frame reel. Its just my opinion and I'm not trying to bash. But Lew's reels are inherently smaller and with less material I believe the stronger more rigid material the better.
^^ This.

Except for the part about using Lew's reels everything Steve said was exactly what I was gonna say.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

WTodd

Obviously you should pair it with another impulse buy; a new rod that's on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacobguy

Quote from: WTodd on December 01, 2019, 12:43:26 PM
Obviously you should pair it with another impulse buy; a new rod that's on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha! I was thinking the same thing, anyways itll be a few months till I re-save the funds for a new rod I'm just seeing what I should get for future reference. Also guys I can very much return it if you guys think I'll be able to get a better reel for the price. How big of a deal is the graphite compared to a metal body? I dont care much for the magnetic vs. Centrifugal brakes because my Daiwa has magnetic brakes and it works just fine for me. Thanks so much!

Princeton_Man

Lew's are good reels, I have and fish quite a few of them and have them on some of my Dobyns Savvy rods (predecessor of the Sierra). Mostly 734s. The reel is pretty universal, the bait and technique you plan to use it for will help determine the rod.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Jacobguy

So overall it's a decent reel? You guys think it'll do what I need It to do (lighter techniques- spinners, cranks, chatters, etc.)? Or should I return it and get somthing better? It's not a big deal if I have to my brothers returning his. Thanks.

Capt. BassinLou

After Shimano, my other reels are Lews. Actually my next reel is going to be a Lews as well, and an aluminum frame construction is a must.

FishaHallic

Quote from: Jacobguy on December 01, 2019, 01:39:37 PM
So overall it's a decent reel? You guys think it'll do what I need It to do (lighter techniques- spinners, cranks, chatters, etc.)? Or should I return it and get somthing better? It's not a big deal if I have to my brothers returning his. Thanks.

Since you asked I will give my opinion.  I am no reel expert by any means and I am basing my opinion solely on what I have experienced.  In the last year or so I have replaced and added to my baitcaster reels and the only one I have not replaced is my Lew's (only because it is the newest of the old).

IMO I would depending on how much of a hurry you are in and if the $ allows return the Lew's.  If you watch amazon  every day for the 13 Fishing concept Z you will be able to pick it up for around $90 or so where just a few months ago it was selling for $200.  My buddy bought one @ $200 and I tried it and it was nice but I could not spend that much on a reel so I waited and caught it on Amazon for $93.  I am still watching it and the price goes up and down, one day it was $90 and the next it was $113 and as I type this it is $108.  If it goes below $90 I will grab another one (I don't really need it but it would be too good to pass up).

In your position and mentioning you wanting to cast lighter baits I would go with the concept Z.  This reel is so smooth it almost feels different I really can't explain it but it is very smooth and will cast lighter baits with ease when matched to the right rod.  Now I may not be comparing apples to oranges because I do not know what size of reel your Lew's is or if it is a newer model but it sounds like it is a little older technology where concept Z is newer technology.  I heard they are clearing them out for a new model, don't know if that is true but it makes sense because of the price drop.

I bought  3  Diawa Tatula TWs which I don't remember how much I paid and I bought 1 Curado 70 for around $150 ish and the Concept Z,  all nice reels but I if I had to buy another of the 3 it would be the concept Z which is just as nice as my Curado 70 but for less money.

I am sure some people can cast light weights on the reel you bought but for approximately $25 more you will have one of the newest type reels out there that can cast light weights with ease for a great price.
BTW, when you go buy a new rod someday, take your reel with you and feel the balance and the grip and reel feeling, you will end up with a better combo and be happier.

One last thing, I like my Lew's reel it is very smooth and works fine but it does not cast as good the other reels I mentioned, I went to look at what model it was but I can't find it on the reel.  My Lew's was around $130 or so and I bought it maybe 4 yrs ago so a different model may work better.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

FishaHallic

removed a link, sorry
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

zippyduck

Keep the Lews. they make a good reel and that is a great price. It may not throw lures under 1/4 oz. but it will throw chatterbaits. and spinnerbaits just fine.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Jacobguy

Thanks a ton for the input I really appreciate it, I think I'm gonna keep the reel just because I already have it and if I need an upgrade in the future I will, I'll also look into the Concept Z but 13 fishing makes reels look like toys which I'm not a fan of but for a good reel I can get over. I'll pair it with either a Dobyns Fury, St. Croix BassX, or a Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 I wont have it for a while so I'm still doing my reading. I know a lot of members here are partial to Dobyns and I love Dobyns, great rods, customer service and I enjoy supporting Mr. Dobyns especially since hes a member here and interacts with us personally but I'm a newer angler and I do want to branch out and see what I like with different brands. Also how do you guys feel about micro guides compared to standard? Thanks everyone.

SteveTX

Quote from: Jacobguy on December 01, 2019, 09:51:48 PM
Thanks a ton for the input I really appreciate it, I think I'm gonna keep the reel just because I already have it and if I need an upgrade in the future I will, I'll also look into the Concept Z but 13 fishing makes reels look like toys which I'm not a fan of but for a good reel I can get over. I'll pair it with either a Dobyns Fury, St. Croix BassX, or a Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 I wont have it for a while so I'm still doing my reading. I know a lot of members here are partial to Dobyns and I love Dobyns, great rods, customer service and I enjoy supporting Mr. Dobyns especially since hes a member here and interacts with us personally but I'm a newer angler and I do want to branch out and see what I like with different brands. Also how do you guys feel about micro guides compared to standard? Thanks everyone.

Micro is fine if you do not plan to ever use a leader. Macro I believe is what they call the "mid" size guides now days. I prefer them as they aren't so big as to hang going in and out of my smallish rod locker. Also if I was to use a leader it wouldn't be limited on its length.

zippyduck

Micro guides are great if don't use leaders or fish in cold weather ( under 32 degrees ).
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

ike8120

Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

LgMouthGambler

Newer Doyo offering are worlds better than in the past. That particular reel, like said before, has a plastic frame. I'd stick to mono/topwater(spooks, peppers, etc). Definitely not for anything hard core. Look into TWs sale, as the Tournament MB is on closeout, and an additional 20% off brings it under $100. Its a good deal. I have picked up a few more Doyo (Lews) offerings to play with, and will update to a thread later on. Meanwhile, enjoy it, it should last a decent amount of time if you dont fish all that much. Next time, pay attention to the specs of the reel, because some seem like a good deal because they MSRP the reel for WAY more than its worth.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Jacobguy

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 02, 2019, 05:16:58 AM
Newer Doyo offering are worlds better than in the past. That particular reel, like said before, has a plastic frame. I'd stick to mono/topwater(spooks, peppers, etc). Definitely not for anything hard core. Look into TWs sale, as the Tournament MB is on closeout, and an additional 20% off brings it under $100. Its a good deal. I have picked up a few more Doyo (Lews) offerings to play with, and will update to a thread later on. Meanwhile, enjoy it, it should last a decent amount of time if you dont fish all that much. Next time, pay attention to the specs of the reel, because some seem like a good deal because they MSRP the reel for WAY more than its worth.

So where should I go to look for the Tournament MB sale? Also by TWs do you mean the Daiwa T wing System? And let's say I were to return it since I already have an 8:1:1 should I get a 6:3:1 or 7:5:1 for other techniques? Thanks.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Jacobguy on December 02, 2019, 11:29:17 AM
So where should I go to look for the Tournament MB sale? Also by TWs do you mean the Daiwa T wing System? And let's say I were to return it since I already have an 8:1:1 should I get a 6:3:1 or 7:5:1 for other techniques? Thanks.

Sending you a PM bud.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Jacobguy on December 02, 2019, 11:29:17 AM

PM sent

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FishaHallic

Quote from: Jacobguy on December 01, 2019, 09:51:48 PM
in the future I will, I'll also look into the Concept Z but 13 fishing makes reels look like toys which I'm not a fan of but for a good reel I can get over.
`Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I agree, not a fan of the color but I got over it.  I'm sure you will be happy with your Lew's.

Good luck
                            TRUTH MATTERS

FishaHallic

Am I violating a rule by posting a good deals by certain vendors?
                            TRUTH MATTERS

SteveTX

Quote from: FishaHallic on December 02, 2019, 02:18:05 PM
Am I violating a rule by posting a good deals by certain vendors?
From my understanding, no hyperlinks except to forum sponsors, but a text link that can be copied and pasted I believe are OK.

However if you become a Charter Member you may post hyperlinks in the Charter Member Only section of the forums.

Im sure if I am wrong a moderator will correct me and explain.  ;)

Jacobguy

Hey guys update, so we went to pick up the Lews reels today and my dad accidentally bought 4 when he was ordering them so he returned the Lews and he got $90 in return... we bought them for $70. So there was a Abu Garcia Revo SX on sale for $99 and we got halfway home untill we realized we got the extra $20 and we turned around went and returned all of the Lews and bought 2 Abu Garcias. Untill the 24th if you spend over $100 you get $20 back so we got 2 free whopper ploppers today since we got one in store. But the only problem with that for me is that it's an 8:0:1 gear ratio and I need somthing lower since I already have an 8:3:1. But I'm wondering does it matter that much? Gear ratio? It would be nice to have a 6:3:1. Ok let me sort of put this together- We go back when they're in, return them, buy them back so we get another 20$ off a piece then we get the Revo SX for $80 BUT I could return it not buy it back then buy the Daiwa Tatula which is normally $130 with ANY gear ratio I want for an extra $10 since I'll have the return money and $20 discount. Just wanted to let you guys know how it is progressing and ask you, keep the Revo SX with the 8:0:1 or buy the tatula for an extra 10? Thanks so much guys that's my spiel.

Smallie_Stalker

Here's my two cents worth.

Just curious, what is your reason for wanting a lower gear ratio reel? Not knocking them since I own quite a few. Lke I said just curious.

I own Abu reels and I own Daiwas. If I were in your position I would spend the extra $10 bucks and get the Daiwa in the gear ratio you want.

Just my opinion.

Keep letting us know how things progress and how you like whatever you decide on.

Jacobguy

Hey smallie, thanks for the advice. My reasoning for wanting a lower gear ratio is my 8:0:1 is pretty fast and it get annoying and abrasive to have to slow down my (not sure what to call it) handle turning speed, and quite hard for slower techniques and colder weather when fish are a bit lazier. Its be nice and much more convenient to have a 6:3:1 where I can turn the handle at a normal speed and it be easier for slower techniques. Also if I do spend the extra $10 for the Daiwa I've really wanted a Tatula since I got into fishing they just seem super cool. Thanks!