advice for me being new to fishing

Started by mashburn, December 02, 2019, 11:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mashburn

Howdy everyone and thank you for helping me. I am in my mid 30's and just purchased my house on Lake Sinclair in GA. So I am wanting to get into fishing. I know the lake is great for catfish, but it gets tiresome fishing for only that. I can literally a brim over the edge of my dock and have a catfish within minutes.

Anyhow I say I am new to fishing. because I do not understand when to use a baitcaster or what lure to use or if there is big reason to not do a granny knot. LOL.... My family knows how to fish, and I am a little embarrassed to admit to them I honestly feel that dumb.

I do not have a boat, so I will be fishing from my (two) docks. I am in a great cove known for the game winning biggest size bass.

I also would like to catch primarily bass. There is hybrid, large mouth, stripe, spotted and a couple others in this lake.

My biggest thing is should I use a baitcaster or Spin cast? and what is some great reels for a begginer. I would say my budget is maybe $100 just for the reel. And then what type of Rod should I use? (I am also ok with waiting for a few months until I find something on a great deal)...... With the baitcaster I have now, it does not seem to throw but maybe 10 feet, unless I put something really heavy on it. So I get discouraged it does not go far enough.

Next what type of lures, tackle and etc should I use? If you can, could you tell me what is good for cold weather with wind, cold weather on cloudy day, sunny weather overcast, etc etc. I would like to have a great go to for each season for each weather condition. As well as what colours to use..... this lake to me is murky mostly. I would say visibility could range around 1'-2'. And the water seems to be pushing in and out lately, but there is times where it is smooth.

What type of line should I be using? I am always afraid I could catch that big 20 pound bass and he breaks the line, however I hate to miss out on the 6 pound bass because my line is to thick.

What is a good knot to make?

feel free to add any other advice or any questions.

Thank you,

mashburn

Here is 2 images of my property.

mashburn

Here is my property layout. the spot circled in red is brush covering that is semi beach sand. During the summer I could see bass and shad swimming in that area. Specially when the may fly's came out. But right now for the winter time I don't see any activity, nor anything swimming in that spot.

The area in green is where it goes to about a foot off the seawall and then gradually goes out to maybe 3'. And that distance from the seawall to where it drops off to 3' is probably 100'.

The area in orange is a good drop off. at the seawall it starts at 3' or more. and then goes to 7' or more at the end of my dock. I am unsure the depth after the end of my dock but I know there is a channel about 20' (but I am unsure the depth of that as well).

mashburn

here is a map of the depth. I know that at the end of my dock the water level goes from 7-8. The red on that represents my property bank. and the green square is a close idea to where my dock is.

Bud Kennedy

Looks like you have a nice lake there.  Plenty of good water as well as some deeper water in what appears to be the main lake.  I see on line that the lake is listing smallmouth and largemouth bass along with the catfish you spoke about earlier.  One thing that pops out for me is that you really need to consider becoming a boater.  This lake looks like it has a lot of interesting water that need explored.

If you just want to begin to learn about fishing then I would first recommend a spinning rod and reel set up.  Start by throwing plastic worms, spinner baits etc from the bank until you become comfortable making casts.  You have so many choices based on budget to get you started and for $100 you should be able to get there.  Bass Pro Shops, Academy Sports or even Walmart is a good start for your very first learning set up.  It won't take you long until you will want something better.  I would recommend beginning with Monofiliment line in the 8 to 10 lb test category.  Then pick up some terminal tackle like bullet weights in a range of 1/16 oz thru 1/4 oz and a pack of worm hooks or two should get you going.  All you need are some plastic worms in a green pumpkin color to begin with.  After you begin your fishing addiction you will soon be visited by the infamous bait monkey who will ensure you will want to buy a whole bunch more stuff including the aforementioned boat.  Good luck to you.  Keep in touch here at Ultimate Bass and don't be shy about asking questions.  Lots of folks here willing to help.  The easiest knot for you to begin with would be a palomar knot.  You can google it and find websites with animation to teach you how to tie it.  So many knots to choose from

fishballer06

Looks like a nice piece of property you have there. Would you mind if I came down and stayed with you for the winter?  lo

If you know how to use a baitcaster, then that's the route I would want to go. Get yourself a 7' MH powered rod to go with it, and put 12 or 14lb mono on your reel and that should handle almost any application you need to throw.

There's a lot of different techniques/presentations you could buy. Here's a few baits I would recommend with the setup mentioned above.

-3/8oz spinnerbait in white
-1/4 to 3/8oz jig in any craw color pattern (greens, browns)
-5" Senko
-7" Powerbait Power Worm, 1/4oz bullet weight, 3/0 offset worm hook
-1.5 Strike King KVD Squarebill in any baitfish looking color
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

mashburn, first let me say welcome and second what an amazing and detailed set of posts. You gave us a ton of detail to work with.

For me, lets start with the reel. You said you have one that you are frustrated with because it won't cast far. Many baitcasters have adjustments we can work with to help increase casting distance. First is the cast control knob under the handle. Back the knob off until the spool will shift from side to side inside the frame. Then tighten it back up until this movement just stops.

What brand and model reel is it? I can help you dial it in better and possible get you casting well with it so you can spend that hundred dollars on baits :-*

Looking at your water layout. I'd highly suggest shaky head worms and weightless senko style baits. Use the search tool here on the site and it will help you find tons of information on both of these presentations. They are great in the winter, use the shaky head close to the creek on colder post front days and the weightless senko in the shallower water on sunny warm days.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

mashburn

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on December 02, 2019, 12:21:32 PM
Looks like you have a nice lake there.  Plenty of good water as well as some deeper water in what appears to be the main lake.  I see on line that the lake is listing smallmouth and largemouth bass along with the catfish you spoke about earlier.  One thing that pops out for me is that you really need to consider becoming a boater.  This lake looks like it has a lot of interesting water that need explored.

If you just want to begin to learn about fishing then I would first recommend a spinning rod and reel set up.  Start by throwing plastic worms, spinner baits etc from the bank until you become comfortable making casts.  You have so many choices based on budget to get you started and for $100 you should be able to get there.  Bass Pro Shops, Academy Sports or even Walmart is a good start for your very first learning set up.  It won't take you long until you will want something better.  I would recommend beginning with Monofiliment line in the 8 to 10 lb test category.  Then pick up some terminal tackle like bullet weights in a range of 1/16 oz thru 1/4 oz and a pack of worm hooks or two should get you going.  All you need are some plastic worms in a green pumpkin color to begin with.  After you begin your fishing addiction you will soon be visited by the infamous bait monkey who will ensure you will want to buy a whole bunch more stuff including the aforementioned boat.  Good luck to you.  Keep in touch here at Ultimate Bass and don't be shy about asking questions.  Lots of folks here willing to help.  The easiest knot for you to begin with would be a palomar knot.  You can google it and find websites with animation to teach you how to tie it.  So many knots to choose from

Thank you. I do plan on getting a aluminum cheap boat soon. just to get me out there. Eventually when the wife allows me to spend money, I will be investing in a boat.

With it being cold right now, is that why you are thinking worms? and do something like a texas rig and fish the deep waters?

mashburn

Quote from: fishballer06 on December 02, 2019, 12:41:48 PM
Looks like a nice piece of property you have there. Would you mind if I came down and stayed with you for the winter?  lo

If you know how to use a baitcaster, then that's the route I would want to go. Get yourself a 7' MH powered rod to go with it, and put 12 or 14lb mono on your reel and that should handle almost any application you need to throw.

There's a lot of different techniques/presentations you could buy. Here's a few baits I would recommend with the setup mentioned above.

-3/8oz spinnerbait in white
-1/4 to 3/8oz jig in any craw color pattern (greens, browns)
-5" Senko
-7" Powerbait Power Worm, 1/4oz bullet weight, 3/0 offset worm hook
-1.5 Strike King KVD Squarebill in any baitfish looking color

With a 14lb line. Does that mean a 20 lb could break it? And thank you or the tackle ideas. I will be putting that on my list to grab this weekend.... If I went to a 50 pound. is that something a fish of 5 pounds would see?

is there a particular brand of baitcaster that is worth it or that I need to stay away from?

and seriously my house is an open door. on my property is a boat ramp. only rule is you have to take me. Lol. and then we will have a fish fry every night. LOL

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: mashburn on December 02, 2019, 03:34:31 PM
Thank you. I do plan on getting a aluminum cheap boat soon. just to get me out there. Eventually when the wife allows me to spend money, I will be investing in a boat.

With it being cold right now, is that why you are thinking worms? and do something like a texas rig and fish the deep waters?

Worms are good starter baits just about any time in any weather.  T Rig is a good way to go especially if there is any cover under water you my hang up on.  Also good in weeds and will come through without getting hung up.  Otherwise using a worm on a Shakey Head as Mike suggested is also a good way to go.  You will have to find out what works for you.  It won't take you long to figure it out but you do need to be patient and spend some time at the water.

mashburn

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 02, 2019, 12:42:37 PM
mashburn, first let me say welcome and second what an amazing and detailed set of posts. You gave us a ton of detail to work with.

For me, lets start with the reel. You said you have one that you are frustrated with because it won't cast far. Many baitcasters have adjustments we can work with to help increase casting distance. First is the cast control knob under the handle. Back the knob off until the spool will shift from side to side inside the frame. Then tighten it back up until this movement just stops.

What brand and model reel is it? I can help you dial it in better and possible get you casting well with it so you can spend that hundred dollars on baits :-*

Looking at your water layout. I'd highly suggest shaky head worms and weightless senko style baits. Use the search tool here on the site and it will help you find tons of information on both of these presentations. They are great in the winter, use the shaky head close to the creek on colder post front days and the weightless senko in the shallower water on sunny warm days.

Thank you. I like to give as much detail because I know it isn't as simple as throw a cricket on and throw at the end of the dock and you'll get something. LOL.

I will be searching those to things and finding what color and etc I would like to purchase this weekend.

the baitcaster is a shakespear Sigma 6.3:1. The reel is 7' Medium action (8-20 pound line) Ugly Stick.
- If you think I should get better, I will. and I need to be buying my own anyhow. this is my dads he left here.

Mike Cork

Quote from: mashburn on December 02, 2019, 03:54:11 PM
Thank you. I like to give as much detail because I know it isn't as simple as throw a cricket on and throw at the end of the dock and you'll get something. LOL.

I will be searching those to things and finding what color and etc I would like to purchase this weekend.

the baitcaster is a shakespear Sigma 6.3:1. The reel is 7' Medium action (8-20 pound line) Ugly Stick.
- If you think I should get better, I will. and I need to be buying my own anyhow. this is my dads he left here.

The ulgy stick is a standard of beginners. I'll bet there isn't a member of this forum that didn't use one at one time or another. However, as your skills improve your desire for better equipment will also. Just take it slow, lots of money to be spent LOL

As far as a reel the sigma is pretty begginer. I'd look to a Shimano SLX or a Daiwa Fuego, both are right at that $100 mark and will greatly improve your casting. If you need to stick with the sigma a bit, adjust the spool tension like I said and take the spool out and clean the shafts with a lint free cloth. If you have some fine oil, put just a drop on the bearing while you have the side plate off.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

DonM

Bass Pro has a great deal on Pro Qualifier II reels--half price.  Very nice reel.
DonM

znate80

www.tacticalbassin.com

Prepared to go broke...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNDiver

What stores such as Bass Pro, Academy, etc do you have near you?  That can help as well for ideas.  A lot of people swear by Academy's baits.  There are also sponsors here such as Monster on the upper right, NuTech, etc that would have what others posted as well.  When I started out, I bought a cheap $50 basic Shimano and regretted it.  I moved up to the Curados.  The Bass Pro Qualifiers are good reels as well.  For a Rod, you will want to spend at least $100.  The Bass Pro ones are pretty good, but there are others.  Like  Fishballer said, look for a rod about 7' in medium Heavy and that will help with most applications.  The other thing is once you have your set-up, practice!  If you go with the Baitcaster, you will need to train your thumb to not get a birds nest.  It will happen, it happens to all of us, but they will happen less frequently.  I think Fishballer hit it best with the baits.  Also, don't be afraid to go to local bait shops and ask them what works for the lake as well.  You might get some good advice that way too.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

WyattEarp

If your on a budget like I am, Academy has the Garcia Black Max Rod and Reel combo for about $79.00.
I have been using a couple of them that I picked up 6 or 8 months ago and so far they have been fine.
Caught a 7lb. bass with one of them and have caught several 3-4 range..
If you can afford more, by all means - but if money is tight they work pretty well.

Nice looking back yard you have there.

WyattEarp

Oh and for the record

I think the rattle-trap is the best lure ever made !
17lb test Fluorocarbon line

I tend to use a crank bait more than anything else, even when I have to work for them.
I was out on Murvaul last weekend and fished for about an hour with no luck - A guys comes up with an umbrella rig and lands a 4lb on the first cast- I just kept casting my crank - nailed 2 a little after that, so persistency paid off I guess..
Just my 2 cents

Oldfart9999

You've gotten a lot of good advice so the only thing I would add is you may want to try a Ned rig also, it's a versatile way to go and blends well with shaky head and drop shot.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: mashburn on December 02, 2019, 03:39:23 PM
With a 14lb line. Does that mean a 20 lb could break it? And thank you or the tackle ideas. I will be putting that on my list to grab this weekend.... If I went to a 50 pound. is that something a fish of 5 pounds would see?

is there a particular brand of baitcaster that is worth it or that I need to stay away from?

and seriously my house is an open door. on my property is a boat ramp. only rule is you have to take me. Lol. and then we will have a fish fry every night. LOL

My largest fish was umpteen years ago....a 35 pound carp on 8 pound test Trilene XL.  Reels have a drag.  Make it work for you.  Let the rod do its job.  People use 50 pound (#) braid for frogging (and even 65#).  No one I've ever read about uses 50# mono for bass fishing.

A Daiwa Fuego CT is a great reel for the money.  Can be found for $70 and sometimes less.  Lew's Speed Spool LFS at $100 gets good reviews as does the Shimano SLX.  Which hand do you crank with?  Amazon has a Lew's Tournament MB in left hand for $97...normally a $140 reel.  You've missed TW's closeout sale on them for $80.  Want to spend more?  Walmart has a right hand Okuma Helios SX for $157.26 (reg. $230...5 left when I checked).

Rods.  Check out the Berkley Lightning for $35.  Or the Lightning Shock for $50.  The Daiwa Aird X ($55) gets excellent review.  The Ark Lancer and Viper are on sale at TW for $80 and $90 respectively.  I like my Fenwick HMGs at $100.  The Dobyns Fury line are excellent rods at the $120 price point.

You have a beautiful looking property.  I am jealous.   :)

EDIT:  There are several good knots.  I use a Uni Knot that I learned to tie way too long ago.  It holds for me in any line type.  Lures are another money trap.  Can't go wrong with some type of worm.  I fish a 10" ribbontail worm a lot when visiting Florida.  I like spinnerbaits.  You can tie up thousand in lures if not careful.

big g

(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Jacobguy

It seems the OP hasn't responded in a while but I'll add in and say that these fine gentlemen here suggested me a Daiwa Fuego CT along with a Dobyns Fury 734C and they could not have put me on a better path! I had very similar questions to you and they helped me every step of the way. Hope everything works out! You have an amazing piece of land!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk