Tow vehicle tires

Started by CraigP83, December 27, 2019, 08:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigP83

What tires are you guys running on your tow vehicle? I got a 2013 F150 that came with Goodyear Dura Tracs, they are due to be replaced. I believe I'm going to try some Falken Wild Peak AT3W and see how they work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

apenland01

I don't have to deal with much rain or snow, so I went with the Michelin Defenders on my 2014 F-150.  I really like the smooth ride and they are super quiet on the road.  I haven't had them off-road much, so I can't speak to that either.

coldfront

discovery AT3's.

ran across them a couple years back.  not a lot of better options at the time and like them. 

sounds similar to what you're looking at.

https://tirepost.com/2019/02/01/falken-wildpeak-at3w-vs-cooper-at3/

Pipepro

The tires I like the best for a mostly road vehicle are the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Quiet and sure footed on wet, icy, and snowy roads.

I have run them on 2 previous trucks and love them. Surprisingly long tread life for a tire with this much grip.

I have run Nitto, BFG, all terrains and mudders, Cooper Discoverer AT, Hankook dynapros, and a bunch more.

Overall the Michelin are the ones I put on my wife and kids vehicles just for the peace of mind.
2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike the fox

Nitto terra grapplers on my '14 tundra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveTX

Hankook all terrains are on my truck. It was what was on it when I bought it. I have finally worn them down to where I have started looking at what I will be replacing them with. Man its fun shopping. Not really, man they are expensive. So far I am just checking out all terrain tread patterns as they are all I need. Definitely going with a 10 ply or 12 ply I hate the bulging sidewall look when you put a gallon of paint in the truck.  lo

Princeton_Man

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2, but I'm outfitted for some real nasty driving conditions. With those under a GMC 2500HD, it rides like a truck.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Goldstar225

I'm currently using BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 (Load range E) on my 2014 F150 SC.  Got them for towing a camper.  In that regard they did great.  I've put 55,000 miles on them and they look like I have about another 15-20K left.  Excellent traction in light snow and mud but wet road traction is disappointing.  Tread wear is even but the tires are getting louder as the wear down.

For my next set I'm going with the Michelin Defenders.  I don't haul a camper anymore and I spend a lot more time on wet roads than snow or mud.

Donald Garner

Right now I'm running Goodyear Wranglers on my wife's Silverado.  I've not had any issues with them.  I've had them on my previous Silverado and GMC Sierra.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

TNDiver

Does anyone auto dealers run deals where you buy 3 tires and get fourth for a $1?  I wait for those deals, plus they do free tire rotations.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

apenland01

I know Discount Tires here on the west coast have those specials all the time.  I think you guys on the East have American Tire or something similar, that is related to Discount Tire.  I've never had a bad experience with Discount Tire in the past 15 years of using them.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: apenland01 on January 02, 2020, 09:51:37 PM
I know Discount Tires here on the west coast have those specials all the time.  I think you guys on the East have American Tire or something similar, that is related to Discount Tire.  I've never had a bad experience with Discount Tire in the past 15 years of using them.

Discount Tire, Tire Rack, and sometimes Amazon are the places I've bought my last three sets of tires. I've only run the BFG AT's on my truck and I've bought them from all three. I've played the brand name game with my Toyota. Since it was new I've put about 45k a year on it so it's gone through to tires. I've settled on Cooper tires for it the past two times. Cooper is a great tire and American made.

Luckily, I have a friend with a tire machine and balancer in his shop so, I skip the crazy mounting fees. ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

apenland01

I ran Cooper Discoverer ATS on my old Explorer and they were great for that vehicle.  They were always on special too, which was nice.

TNDiver

I like to research on Tire Rack and see what others opinions are for the same vehicle.  Helps a lot. 

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Rangerman

Guys tires are most important on trailers more so than truck and cars.  Run a ST tire due to heavier side walls and will help with flex on the road.  Always run at max psi cold. You are asking for double trouble on pass car  or truck tires. ~b~

apenland01

Quote from: Rangerman on March 02, 2020, 08:28:30 AM
Guys tires are most important on trailers more so than truck and cars.  Run a ST tire due to heavier side walls and will help with flex on the road.  Always run at max psi cold. You are asking for double trouble on pass car  or truck tires. ~b~

Agree, but the OP question about a tow vehicle, not a trailer. 

TNDiver

My biggest fear is sliding my tow vehicle into the water while trying to either put in or take the boat out because I lose traction.  In fact, I just dreamed last night that very thing happened.  I don't know, maybe it is rare for it to happen, but still a fear.  So from that standpoint, and someone who has had to deal with snow, tires on the tow vehicle are just as important in my mind.

Rangerman

Sorry for Hi Jack should have been under trailer ~shade60 years of dragging a boat vehicle tires are important brand is not as important and good tread and proper PSI cold.  Most of the vehicles produced for the last 15 years have tire display on dash.  Use and and watch.  Heat build up of over 15% +/- you are looking for a blow out.  Below pressure builds heat dam quick.   Proper psi on tow and trailers is most important.  Most over looked by most bassers.  Believe me I know trailer after dealing with the Ranger Trail from Hell lo Car tires, wrong indexing or clocking ~b~ ~b~
Boy's I hire Dale Earnhardts pit to crew to follow me on a trip.  All is well thanks to a great Ranger Dealer and TLC.