Alligator Alley 12/30-12-31

Started by Time2Fish, January 01, 2020, 01:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Time2Fish

Had to go west for the night so the wife and I decided to fish on the way down I-75 and the way back. 

On Tuesday we hit the rest area at MM35 and put in.  Fished about 20 minutes and had a small storm cell come up from the south and run us off.  Couple of bites but no fish.  Jumped in the truck and headed west. 

Got out of the weather and stopped at the Collier Co. facility just west of the big truck stop.  MM52 I think.  Put in and worked north.  There wasn't a weed in the water.  No cover, no nothing.  We ran north to the first bridge.  Lots of small fish popping the surface but couldn't get anything to bite.  Ran worms, frogs, lipless crankbaits and the kitchen sink but nothing.  It was barren other than a few gators.  Pulled out and left.

Got up Wednesday and rolled back east to MM32.  Put in and after seeing what Lou was doing in the Alley I pulled out a frog and went at it.  About 45 mins later, still no fish.  Water looked up to me but it was my first time there so I'm not sure.  After not having any luck on the frog I switched to soft plastic.  Got a hit on the first cast.  Missed him.  Got a hit on the second cast.  Missed him.  This went on for about 15 minutes without me putting anything in the boat.  I'm sure my wife found it amusing.  I tried everything, quick set, count to three, let them run, everything but I couldn't set a hook.  I could feel the weight of the fish on the line when I went to set but about a second later they were gone.  Long story longer, I finally boated 2 fish, neither of them very big, but both were hooked from the outside in, almost like I foul hooked them. Left there scratching my head.

I've been worm fishing for about 40 years and I've never had so much trouble setting a hook.  Can't wait to get back down there and try again.  While it was aggravating, I had a blast.  There's fish in them there waters!

Good luck in the new year fellas!

Lipripper

Look on the bright side it's got to get better.  ;D Hope y'all catch more next time.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Dang T2F, sorry to hear you had a tough go of it out on the alley. The worm strikes you are describing sound like Oscar to me. They will do that. What time of day were you out on the alley?

Thank you for sharing your outing with us.  ~beer~

big g

There are a mess of exotics out there.  Sometimes you can get below them by increasing the weight and fishing deep off the drop-off.  Sometimes they just drive you nuts.  You can be sure there are bass somewhere feeding on them.  The smaller ones are easy bait for bass.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

FLO GROWN

I learned this past year this is supposed to be fun, don't beat yourself up, some days you get them some days you don't,put some tunes on,  and kick back and have some fun.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

"Tight lines"

Time2Fish

Hey Lou, we were out from noon until about 3.  Could have been oscars. 

It was still a great day on the water and it's always nice to fish somewhere new.  Can't wait to get back out there!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Time2Fish on January 07, 2020, 08:04:47 AM
Hey Lou, we were out from noon until about 3.  Could have been oscars. 

It was still a great day on the water and it's always nice to fish somewhere new.  Can't wait to get back out there!
May have been, especially in the pads as you described. The bass were inhaling the baits when we went 2 days later. I was observing my kids lines, the line ticked once and the bass were off swimming with it.