Technique Consensus

Started by ike8120, January 03, 2020, 03:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ike8120

Trying to get some idea of what technique is preferred. I am setup for all three myself. My fishing is from the bank or a dock and mainly stained and shallow water.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

Oldfart9999

While I use drop shot the most I use all 3, if the DS isn't working I'll try the shaky head, the Ned rig is last.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

gtrpickr

out of the 3 I havent tried ned yet but the shakey head is the one I use most

kdubracing

Forgive the dumb question, but what are the reasons you would use a ned rig vs. shaky head? With my limited research, I don't see that huge of a difference. Is it mainly the size of the bait? They seem to me to be pretty similar presentations.

zippyduck

The shakey head is a bottom contact technique, and the ned rig is used as a swimming technique. Well it was originally. now people use the ned rig for everything. From bed fishing to deep jigging.

The difference is mainly size but size makes a big difference at times.

Depth, speed, size, then color are the most important in that order.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

kdubracing

That makes sense. I was under the impression the ned rig was primarily bottom contact also. Thank you.

Donald Garner

I've not tried the Ned Rig yet.  I don't do very much Drop Shoting either.  I like using that Shaky Head set up though.  You can use finesse worms or a big 12 inch worm depending on the size of your Shaky Head.  I fish it in different structure locations also.  I've even used it flipping and Pitching.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Quote from: zippyduck on January 11, 2020, 04:42:19 PM
The shakey head is a bottom contact technique, and the ned rig is used as a swimming technique. Well it was originally. now people use the ned rig for everything. From bed fishing to deep jigging.

The difference is mainly size but size makes a big difference at times.

Depth, speed, size, then color are the most important in that order.
What he said.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishballer06

Quote from: kdubracing on January 11, 2020, 02:45:21 PM
what are the reasons you would use a ned rig vs. shaky head?

For me, it's weedless-ness. A shaky head will come through anything. The Ned has an exposed hook, so weeds and wood are an issue.

As to the original post - I'm on team Neko rig.  ~cf
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament