NuTech Lure Hooksets

Started by apenland01, January 05, 2020, 09:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apenland01

About a year ago I bought about 10 skirted NuTech jigs thinking I might use them one day.  I never did.  I also bought about 10 naked jig heads and I've used them often, in lieu of a Texas rig.

My main goal was to start fishing a true skirted jig this year and I went out and spent the day fishing just a jig with a trailer and caught my first two true jig fish.  What was notable was that both fish were hooked right in the middle of the upper jaw of the mouth.  I'd read about this, but saw it firsthand on Saturday.  Pretty cool deal.....

zippyduck

I've also seen it first hand. They are the best bottom dragging jigs I've ever used.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Princeton_Man

Yes sir!

You'll see that kind of hookup on NuTech's spinners and Crazy jigs too.  ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

If you search youtube you'll find a video or 2 that explains why it happens, very interesting indeed.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Here's Bo's video from about 6 years ago. It does a good job.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

Just as soon as we get some soft water I will have lots of NuTech jigs and other baits to try and duplicate the same thing.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

merc1997

Quote from: Lipripper on January 07, 2020, 02:31:07 PM
Just as soon as we get some soft water I will have lots of NuTech jigs and other baits to try and duplicate the same thing.
by the way, did they get there yet?  sent them priority mail.  thought you might be looking at a fishing trip further south.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

SHC286

Apenland, I blew my dad's mind with some Nutechs. Hold them over a solid table top and drop them. 8-9 times out of 10, they'll land with the hooks pointed upwards.

I haven't watched Bo's video, but comparing them side by side with other jigs, is easy to see the differences and theorize how the different design elements work together.

Lipripper

Quote from: merc1997 on January 07, 2020, 06:38:05 PM
by the way, did they get there yet?  sent them priority mail.  thought you might be looking at a fishing trip further south.

bo
I got them Bo and have been dealing with so much I haven't even had time to open them yet.  ~sweat :surrender: With my wife dealing with the shingles and taking care of her but just as soon as I get them open I will post some  ;PHO)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

apenland01

I just got a bunch of cheaper jigs using my gift card that I won from MFT and UB.  I'm going to use the cheaper ones for practice, since I lost 2 NuTechs last week and save my NuTech jigs for my tournaments.  I won't feel so bad about losing the cheaper jigs....

SteveTX

Quote from: apenland01 on January 13, 2020, 05:35:22 PM
I just got a bunch of cheaper jigs using my gift card that I won from MFT and UB.  I'm going to use the cheaper ones for practice, since I lost 2 NuTechs last week and save my NuTech jigs for my tournaments.  I won't feel so bad about losing the cheaper jigs....
Just curious what were you fishing that you were losing the NuTech jigs? What line and what cover mainly is what I'm wondering about?

apenland01

We have a lot of rock structure with scattered hard small bushy trees growing in between.  I was fishing straight 15lb K9 100% fluoro line.  The problem is the snags were in 20-40 feet of water and I couldn't get them free using my usual techniques.  I got them free quite a few times getting right over the top of them or behind, if I was able.  However, some were just too snagged to get free, so I cut the line.

I don't normally fish deeper water, so I had a hard time with snags where I was fishing.  Supposedly, the football jigs I got are supposed to be a little better for the rock structure, but I'll find out this weekend if that's true lol....

Princeton_Man

Quote from: apenland01 on January 13, 2020, 06:21:27 PM
We have a lot of rock structure with scattered hard small bushy trees growing in between.  I was fishing straight 15lb K9 100% fluoro line.  The problem is the snags were in 20-40 feet of water and I couldn't get them free using my usual techniques.  I got them free quite a few times getting right over the top of them or behind, if I was able.  However, some were just too snagged to get free, so I cut the line.

I don't normally fish deeper water, so I had a hard time with snags where I was fishing.  Supposedly, the football jigs I got are supposed to be a little better for the rock structure, but I'll find out this weekend if that's true lol....
We have the same issues around here. If I can get the boat on the opposite side of the structure I can sometime free it but I loose two or three to rocks every year.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

Thanks for the information. I don't fish a lot of rocks here so that won't be a big issue for me. I have a few of the NuTech jigs and fished them some the past year or so with some success. They did pretty good in my shallow vegetation filled waters.  ~shade

Oldfart9999

We deal with toothy critters here, it's not unusual to lose 4, 5, 6, a day, the worst part is the lack of fight; set the hook and 2 seconds later the end of the line is coming back at you, neatly cut by a set of perfect dentures, no body makes a jig that will prevent that and I refuse to use stainless leaders. It's why I make my own jigs.
Rodney

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 15, 2020, 06:28:41 AM
We deal with toothy critters here, it's not unusual to lose 4, 5, 6, a day, the worst part is the lack of fight; set the hook and 2 seconds later the end of the line is coming back at you, neatly cut by a set of perfect dentures, no body makes a jig that will prevent that and I refuse to use stainless leaders. It's why I make my own jigs.
Rodney

At 4 or more a day, I believe I'd have to use stainless steel leaders. lo

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 16, 2020, 05:49:34 AM
At 4 or more a day, I believe I'd have to use stainless steel leaders. lo
I've been tempted!!!
Rodney