Budget spinning reel

Started by kdubracing, January 11, 2020, 02:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdubracing

I'm going to buy a spinning reel to pair with my new Dobyns 702 for finesse fishing. Will use for dropshot, ned rigs, weightless plastics, possibly shaky head. I will be in the $79 range. There are quite a few reels that appear decent. Pflueger Presidents, Shimano Sahara or Sedona, Diawa Exceler or Regal, Abu Elite Max, Lews Mach 2, any of the Bass Pro models. Anyone have some first hand experience with any of these, good or bad?

Princeton_Man

I have a Daiwa Exceler, a Shimano Sahara, and a Daiwa Regal. All very decent reels and about even in performance and durability. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

Shimano sahara is my favorite in that range, heck in any range.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

You should be able to pick up a Shimano Nasci pretty close to that price if you shop around , It's a great reel .

ike8120

I have a KastKing Sharkylll on my FR702SF Very nice reel for the price point,They come in different sizes. Also the Sharkylll gold is a little more expensive.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

apenland01

Quote from: ike8120 on January 12, 2020, 06:49:30 AM
I have a KastKing Sharkylll on my FR702SF Very nice reel for the price point,They come in different sizes. Also the Sharkylll gold is a little more expensive.

I have Shimano Sonora's, Sahara's and Sedona's and liked them all.  I still have 4 Sonora's, which are the older orange reels.  They've been great for sure.

I've also got some of these KastKing reels and my Sharky Gold III 3000 size is my preferred reel on my Dobyns DC 704sf fluke rod because it handles 12lb K9 fluoro blend better than my other reels.  I have 2 of these reels and they are both managing 12lb line with no problem.  I haven't had any de-spooling disasters since I found this reel and line combo.  I paid $69 for these reels and they have been worth every penny.

coldfront

Quote from: zippyduck on January 11, 2020, 04:33:12 PM
Shimano sahara is my favorite in that range, heck in any range.

yep.  bullet proof.

last time I went to find one, I ended up with the Symmetre model.  little higher price point.  love it.

Wizard

The President is 10 bearing, smooth as silk, good drag and sturdy. I use them on all my spinning rods.

Wizard

Jacobguy

Quote from: loomisguy on January 12, 2020, 06:14:08 AM
You should be able to pick up a Shimano Nasci pretty close to that price if you shop around , It's a great reel .
This ^^. I also love the Phluger Presidents.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

kdubracing

Thanks guys. It seems like most of the reels in that range are pretty solid. I stumbled upon a good deal on a Diawa Legalis LT 2500 with the 6.2:1 ratio and pulled the trigger on it. Got it for $52. I'll keep the others in mind as I will likely get one more spinning set up later.