Spawn

Started by FlatsNBay, January 11, 2020, 08:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

When do peacocks generally go on the bed in Miami and Broward county? What's your favorite baits for catching them off the bed?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Flying lure

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on January 11, 2020, 08:24:50 PM
When do peacocks generally go on the bed in Miami and Broward county? What's your favorite baits for catching them off the bed?

FWC just released their fishing forecast for Jan-March, and they answered this question coincidently. As far as the spawn, Pea's will begin to spawn as soon as the water temps begin to warm up, which can be as early as March and they will continue to spawn until the water cools down again.

As far as baits. Any lure that can get into or close to their nest. With live bait they go bonkers, Crankbaits, suspending jerkbaits, plastics, and jigs. Not so much with spinnerbaits surprisingly. But once a nest has been identified, you can sit there until you find what really works.

I feel bad for them after a while, because they are so easy to catch during this time. I make exceptions to my rules when I do come across a rare pig of peacock though. 

FlatsNBay

So, do they generally spawn after largemouths?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on January 12, 2020, 12:37:30 PM
So, do they generally spawn after largemouths?

If the water temps warm up, yes. What that temperature is, I need to look up.

big g

I too find them easier to catch if you see them on a bed.  Pulling a plastic through the bed draws a reaction almost every time.  At first they just remove it and spit it out.  Soon they get pissed-off and try to kill the plastic.  Just slow pull it and let it die in the bed.  Momma will soon come with a vengeance.   ~rant
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.