Help Me Make A Decision

Started by Smallie_Stalker, January 13, 2020, 02:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

So this is the deal. Next month I jump another decade in the annals of Geezerhood. I will be turning 60 ( :o) and seeing this is a milestone birthday I have cleared it with the wife to purchase for myself a new rod and reel. I have it pretty much narrowed down to a choice between two setups but it is here is where I'm stuck. And here are a couple things to keep in mind to help me choose:

It's no secret that crankbaits are my go-to lures and so one of my plans for this year is to fish crankbaits as much as possible. The Norman DLN is just about my favorite crank to throw (maybe even my favorite of all) but I know it's not always the right tool for the job.

Also, early in the season I fish a lot of larger moving baits. and with our lead laws I can't fish lead jigs or sinkers under 1 oz. Given that, I will be fishing 1 oz. NuTech Elite Blades and Bombers, 3/4 - 1 oz lipless cranks, Big wake baits like the Livingston Pro Wake (weighs 7/8 oz.), Super Spooks etc.

Keeping that in mind I have narrowed my choices to either:

DC 736 CB Glass with a Daiwa Tatula 200

OR

DC 764 CB with a Shimano SLX XT.

Also looking for opinions on the Daiwa Tatula 200 as far as it's ability to make long casts. I generally prefer centrifugal braking, especially when it comes to making long casts and I haven't really had enough time with my other two Daiwas to know if I'm satisfied in that area or not.

So which setup do you all think I should pick? Or do you think I should consider something else altogether?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all input guys.  ~beer~

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

Jim, help me out here a bit.  I have been under the impression that you seldom get an opportunity to do any type of fishing.  While all the stuff you are asking about are fine selections I wonder if they will just become rack queens.  Has something changes that will allow you to do a lot more fishing?

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 13, 2020, 03:00:42 PM
Jim, help me out here a bit.  I have been under the impression that you seldom get an opportunity to do any type of fishing.  While all the stuff you are asking about are fine selections I wonder if they will just become rack queens.  Has something changes that will allow you to do a lot more fishing?
I should have access to my BIL's (wife's brother) SUV 2-3 times a week and my other BIL (sister's former husband) has said he intends for us to get out in his car topper boat a couple times a month and he wants to plan a trip to Vermont around June or July.

Even if none of these pans out I will continue to improve on my current tackle as funds allow. Should a particular opportunity present itself I want to make sure I have the tools I need to get the most out of it. 

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dink Dawg

You're in a bit of a quandary.  The 764CB's sweet spot is 3/8-1/2 ounce and the action is for trebles. When Gary designed it, the Deep Little N was his bait.  The DLN has been my favorite for decades.  The hope to cross over to 1 ounce baits and or single hook baits places that rod at a disadvantage. I think you have a 734C and that rod would fill those heavier bait/single hook needs. 

AS far as a reel goes, my 764CB is paired with a Lews BB1 in 5.4 to 1 ratio.  If I was to need a replacement I would grab a Tatula 150 in 5.5 and be good to go.   It's a shame we can't get together so I could demo all my Dobyns.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Dink Dawg on January 13, 2020, 03:32:06 PM
You're in a bit of a quandary.  The 764CB's sweet spot is 3/8-1/2 ounce and the action is for trebles. When Gary designed it, the Deep Little N was his bait.  The DLN has been my favorite for decades.  The hope to cross over to 1 ounce baits and or single hook baits places that rod at a disadvantage. I think you have a 734C and that rod would fill those heavier bait/single hook needs. 

AS far as a reel goes, my 764CB is paired with a Lews BB1 in 5.4 to 1 ratio.  If I was to need a replacement I would grab a Tatula 150 in 5.5 and be good to go.   It's a shame we can't get together so I could demo all my Dobyns.

Thanks for the input Doug. Maybe someday in the future we will get to meet and I can drool over your Dobyns arsenal.  lo

Quandry indeed. The 764 CB would be a dedicated cranking rod with the occasional popper or other treble hook bait. That's part of what's making it hard to decide since concentrating primarily on cranking this year is a goal.

Yeah, the Sierra 734 should fill in the gap for some of them for now. I did look at the Tatula 150 but the 5.5 is only available in right hand and I crank on the left. And I think the brass gearing in the 200 would probably be better for handling the heavier lure weights. At some point in the future I may actually get to fish the big swimbaits I own so I think it would help there too.

zippyduck

Most of them will work well on the DC736cb glass but the DLN is going to work great on the DC764cb.

Honestly which lures will get the most attention. Then make the choice.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

TWBryan

smallie-stalker, I can't help on rods,but I have heard from several sources that the slx reel will cast a longer distance. The issue with the slx is that it has a plastic worm gear. No long term reviews,but I do wonder how long it will hold up. Between the tatula and the fuego the tatula seems to cast a bit further,friction slows the fuego down. Hope that helps. :)
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: zippyduck on January 13, 2020, 10:57:10 PM
Most of them will work well on the DC736cb glass but the DLN is going to work great on the DC764cb.

Honestly which lures will get the most attention. Then make the choice.

Thanks for all the input do fat guys.

They will each get a lot of use. Just depends on the situation at hand.

I really want to get back to my love of fishing cranks, and re-learning just how versatile they are, but at the same time I need something to throw those heavier baits with too.

I do have a couple of non-Dobyns cranking rods that can do the job for now until I can replace them.

I think at this point I'm leaning towards the 736/Tatula setup. I've still got a couple of weeks to sort some things out though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk