Go-To Tackle Tray?

Started by TWBryan, January 30, 2020, 01:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWBryan

Just wondering what everyone keeps in their tackle-box,or tray ,or bag for bank-fishing. I am about through collecting lures,I have all I could ever use,need, or can stand right now. The approach I am thinking of taking is to fill up a 3700 plano tackle tray with what I might need to fish from the bank. I just got a small Flambeau spinnerbait box that holds six spinnerbaits,which I'll add to the tackle tray. Likely toss that into a small backpack. Keeping it light and easy beats hauling around a big old tackle box.

I suspect I'll put in about 3 topwater baits,and some of those wacky/do nothing/senko/sluggo worms,and a few jigs.

Thanks For Looking :)
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

Smallie_Stalker

That's a solid plan. The best part about something like that is if you know a certain type of lure or color produces well on a different body of water you can switch out items easily for a trip.  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

TNDiver

I guess it depends on where you fish and depth.  I always want a crank bait too or rattle trap, but otherwise I think you are good.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Capt. BassinLou

I only carry with me a Columbia waist pack when I go bank fishing, and one multi-purpose outfit. I carry an assortment of plastics. For ex, stick worms, uvibes, and flukes. A couple of spinner baits in small zip lock bags, a couple of crank and jerk baits, and one frog. An assortment of hooks and my lead weights are in a small vitamin container. I fish lean and very mobile. Don't like to be carrying things in my hands besides my rod and reel.

TWBryan

smallie-stalker, my understanding of color is a tad primitive,if a light color don't work ,then switch to a dark color. ;)

TNDiver, mostly by the banks it if fairly shallow and there is always heavy vegetation. The only place I use a treble hook is on a topwater. I am thinking to use swimming jigs as a crankbait substitute. :)

Bassinlou, your system sounds very streamlined and well worth looking at. They have chest packs nowadays and I considered one of those. My main concern with a waistpack would be that everything would be loose and become a tangled mess when I needed something. :)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: TWBryan on January 30, 2020, 03:00:15 PM
Bassinlou, your system sounds very streamlined and well worth looking at. They have chest packs nowadays and I considered one of those. My main concern with a waistpack would be that everything would be loose and become a tangled mess when I needed something. :)

Depends on how you organize your pack. I utilize smaller ziplock bags to separate baits and lures. For treble baits I use old rapala or chug bug packaging. This way the lures stay separated and don't tangle  with the other baits.
:-*

kdubracing

I carry a backpack with a few 3700 boxes and a worm binder, along with pliers, nail clippers for line, etc. Works well. Especially when I go a couple of places I ride a bicycle to the spots.

JoeB

I carry a Flambau box that is 1.25x3x4.75 that contains all my hooks, weights, beads, etc. A few bags of soft plastics, pliers, and a water bottle. That all fits in a small shoulder bag. One rod and reel and I am ready to go I like to travel light. I lean more towards soft plastics because the places I fish they work for me.

Donald Garner

I can't even remember the last time I went bank fishing.  But there are times during the Summer Months here in Texas that I do go Wade Fishing in the lower Lampasas River.  When I do this type of fishing I wear a fishing vest that has numerous pockets.  I have my clippers & forceps for removing hooked fish.  I keep all my baits, weights and hooks in their store bought packages.  My fishing rod is a 5ft Ultra Light with a Mitchell 308 Spinning reel loaded with 6-8lb clear mono.

My fishing vest has a couple large pockets.   These could hold the smaller Plano Boxes with crankbaits and spinnerbaits if I decided to pack some along. 

The baits I use are small soft plastics (Zoom Trick Worms, Small curly tailed grubs, Small Baby Brush Hogs; 2/0 EWG hooks and small worm weights or pinch sinkers)

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

TWBryan

Bassinlou,I'm giving it some thought,maybe I can find pack that will hold a water bottle and 2-3 smaller plano boxes.  :-*

I appreciate all the replies,good to be able to bounce an idea around. :)

apiazza

I picked up a small sling style bag on amazon. Can be rigged over either shoulder and opens from both sides. It will 2 or 3 3600 size boxes and the front pouch holds plastics pretty well. Outside  has mole on it which makes attach things like license, pliers, ruler etc really easy to carry and access. I usually bring 1 or 2 rods bank fishing and the second can actually be attached to the side of the bag. For the 20 something bucks I paid it was a good buy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fishballer06

Here's what's usually in my bank box:

Mann's Baby 1-
Lipless crankbait
Spinnerbait
2-3 jigs
Handful of Senkos
Handful of craw style plastics
A few Keitechs in 3.3 and 3.8", and maybe a few flukes
Buzzbait and a popper (warmer months only)
Small assortment of tungsten (1/8, 1/4, 3/8)
Small assortment of hooks (EWG, Offset, Wacky, weedless keel weighted)
Small accessories (snaps, orings, weighted wacky worm/neko weights)
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Jacobguy

Quote from: apiazza on January 31, 2020, 10:27:13 AM
I picked up a small sling style bag on amazon. Can be rigged over either shoulder and opens from both sides. It will 2 or 3 3600 size boxes and the front pouch holds plastics pretty well. Outside  has mole on it which makes attach things like license, pliers, ruler etc really easy to carry and access. I usually bring 1 or 2 rods bank fishing and the second can actually be attached to the side of the bag. For the 20 something bucks I paid it was a good buy.

Got a name or link to this miracle bag? ;) Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

apiazza

Quote from: Jacobguy on January 31, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
Got a name or link to this miracle bag? ;) Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
GZTLJ Fishing Tackle Storage Bag Outdoor Shoulder Backpack Fishing Backpack Hunting Backpack (Brown)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T6Y7284/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dJxnEb5CDGNP7

TNDiver

I wish they had that when I bought mine.  Like that much better.  A sling bag would be good in case you have to grab your gear and go fast, like if you get chased by an animal or a person

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

apiazza

Quote from: TNDiver on February 02, 2020, 10:06:42 PM
I wish they had that when I bought mine.  Like that much better.  A sling bag would be good in case you have to grab your gear and go fast, like if you get chased by an animal or a person

That seems oddly specific of a scenario....almost like it comes from experience  lo

TNDiver

Yup!  Was fishing near an over pass.  Around here and up north, the homeless like them for the cover they provide and this one had fish in the stream below.  Anyways, one day I was done fishing and heading back to my car when I was greeted by an aggressive dog barking at me.  I was about to hit him with my rod and draw my handgun, when the homeless guy from the overpass yelled out and called the dog back.  Didn't even know he was under there!  He apologized, but yeah, it was an experience.   Also got chased once by a pack of dogs, but I didn't have as extensive of a lure collection, so I didn't have a bag.

TWBryan

Actually found a pack made by picifun I might get next month. Probably not going to carry all that much in it. I'm thinking for topwaters I'll try a hula popper, a frog,and maybe a suicide duck. Recently bought a pair of swimming jigs ,might try one of those. Spinnerbaits ,probably 3 at 3/8 oz and 3 more at 1/2oz. Found a seller on evilbay that makes nice spinnerbaits,price is good. When I received mine he has thrown in some trailer baits,and a buzzbait. I thought it was a nice surprise anyway.  :)

msrtex

A decent waist pack can be comfortable and carry a lot of gear.

VaHooligan

I've got an old hiking backpack that holds a couple tackle boxes drinks snacks first aid stuff etc that I've found words well for bank fishing. Frees up my hands to carry a pole and can toss the pole on the backpack on the side cause it has straps to keep the pole from flopping around if I want to wonder around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ike8120

I use a Plano weekender to carry down to the bank, I have  a Cabelas's Magnum that I leave in the car.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"