Fox/Coyote Hunting

Started by fishballer06, February 03, 2020, 08:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

I've hunted my whole life for basically everything under the sun. Everything except for fox/coyote. Now I've shot a few that I've come across while hunting for other critters, but I've never targeted them. Well now I've decided to finally get into this and I wanted to see what all gear you folks recommend for getting me started.

I planned on getting a nice FoxPro electronic call to start. And I'll need a nice red light (recommendations would be appreciated). Is there any other gear I need to get into this?

Thanks.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

coldfront

how much does the red jacket run?

Princeton_Man

Coyote hunting around here is growing in popularity. I'd love to get into it, but it's harder on the wallet than bass fishing and boats. I've shot them as they cross the field during the day, but that doesn't happen often when I can grab a rifle and get back in time to make the shot.

I have a close friend/neighbor who's an avid hunter and up till now stuck to deer, bear, and turkey. But since he recently retired, he's preparing to start hunting them. He has the rifles and a small electronic game call, but Coyote are very sharp. It's hard to lure them in because before they enter the target area, they circle the area with their nose in the air. If they pick up on the scent of a human, gun oil, or anything not natural to the area, they usually move on. Some folks set snares using steel cable. My buddy just ordered a high tech long range call that will allow him to be 300+ yards away (and yes, he can easily make the shot). Along with some suppressors, he's also going to be investing in some serious thermal and night vision optics. 

We have organized hunts here that aren't much different from bass tournaments except the coyote must be dead. Entry fees are usually $50-$100 per team and payouts are usually big for the most coyotes. Sometimes there's a payout for biggest (heaviest) and the smallest (lightest).
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

fishballer06

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 03, 2020, 09:17:58 AM
Coyote hunting around here is growing in popularity. I'd love to get into it, but it's harder on the wallet than bass fishing and boats.

We have organized hunts here that aren't much different from bass tournaments except the coyote must be dead. Entry fees are usually $50-$100 per team and payouts are usually big for the most coyotes. Sometimes there's a payout for biggest (heaviest) and the smallest (lightest).

Yeah, they're pretty predominant here in western/central PA as well. I see lots of the local shops and clubs advertising contests/shoots a fair bit. I'm not looking to get into anything like that until I get all the equipment and find some areas where I can find some dogs.

Like you mentioned, I know you can go all out with the thermal optics and such. I'm just looking to get an electronic call and some red lights. That should get me going and be able to have some success. I have a few buddies who want to try it with me, so that adds to the fun.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Page

I highly recommend starting in the daylight and getting a feel for what you are doing. When you do decide to go at night I've had best luck w a minimum of 2 people. One to run the call and light and one shooter. It's easier to have one person scan w the light and one guy on the gun. I've had great luck calling at night when there is a full moon and snow on the ground. Take shotguns and no lights and watch the call! They will run right up to it if you set up right and they don't get your wind.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Deadeye

Wile I haven't targeted them either, I am on a forum where there are guys that do. Most of them hunt at night with scopes that can seen in the dark.

Way Back When, most guys hunted during the day and carried both a Shotgun and Rifle for whatever range you found yourself in. Of course a Over/Under Rifle/Shotgun does both.

Good Luck, they need thinned out. I never heard them as a Kid in Jefferson County but my last trip back for a Deer Hunt the night before on the hill across from Mom's house they lit up. Had to be a big pack up there. The Amish that lived there were out with lights protecting their livestock. Crazy.

Down here it is touch and go. Where my hunting property is in the Panhandle they are crazy thick. Hear them almost every night.

Lipripper

Up here in Chicago they are a protected species and it's against the law to kill one of them. ::) A couple of weeks ago one was roaming around and bite a kid and the animal control people cornered it in someone's front yard behind some bushes and tranquilized it and took it to an animal shelter. They determined that it was injured because someone had shot it with a pellet or BB gun so that's why it did what it did.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

TNDiver

They are difficult to find and kill.  My dad did it for a while and got a couple, but more time spent in the field and not getting anything.  I went with him once and we saw one as we were unloading his truck to start.  By the time he got his gun, it was gone.   Didn't see anything the rest of the day.  As PM said, they have a great sense of smell and any scent they will be gone.  It is even harder to trap them.  Snare might be different.  Good luck.  My dad did it for a couple of years and gave up and sold off all his gear.

The other problem with the calls is wind can affect the distance.  That was one problem my dad had too.  Granted, this was a while ago, but it can play a role.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus