New to bass fishing

Started by hog head, February 03, 2020, 01:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hog head

Found this forum looking for information. I have only been bass fishing for a year but am hooked. Looking at a boat this week been going fishing with my buddy that got me started.  Thanks for the great forum seems like a lot of good people on here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Captsteve

Welcome to UB

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

Hey hog head. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

You are right about the people here. Best group of people I've ever had the pleasure to get to know. Whatever questions you have ask away. You will get a lot of answers and a variety of opinions on most things. And we'd love to see some pics of that boat if you get it.  ~sun

Whichever state you live in you may want to stop by the Fishing Reports section of the forum and find your state board. That way you can get some ideas on local waters and meet some other members from your neck of the woods.  :)

Since you are relatively new to bass fishing I'm sure you could use some more gear. If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest. We also have Weekly Contests so be sure and get in on those too each week as they become available..

We love pictures around here. Please feel free to post some pics of your catches anytime in our Catch of the Day board.

We're looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

hog head

Thank you guys.  I'm sure I'll have lots of questions if I buy that boat.

zippyduck

Welcome to UB !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes there are lots of good people here that share all kinds of info.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

WTodd

Welcome and you can to the right place for help in buying a boat.....what's our budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hog head

A guy in a near buy town has a 2002 bass tracker pro 165 for 3k. I have my kayak sold for 3k if I like the boat. I was supposed to look at the boat Saturday but we were catching fish and couldn't leave the lake.

hog head

Is there any common problems to look for when I look at this boat?

Lipripper

and to Ultimate Bass and we are glad to have you here with us so make yourself right at  :)hsh: and be sure to check out them links that Smallie gave you. I don't blame you about not leaving the lake when the fish are biting.  lo lo Good luck on finding yourself a boat.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

WTodd

Number of hours on the motor would help....maintenance records would too. Check the bottom of the hull to see if he abused it. It's 18 years old so it should look "fished in"

hog head

What would be considered a lot of hours?

WTodd

To be honest I don't know a specific number but if he put 50 hours a year X 18 gets you to 900 hours which seems high but if he maintained it and didn't beat it up it may be fine. Also do a compression test if you can

hog head

Thanks

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: hog head on February 03, 2020, 03:05:44 PM
A guy in a near buy town has a 2002 bass tracker pro 165 for 3k. I have my kayak sold for 3k if I like the boat. I was supposed to look at the boat Saturday but we were catching fish and couldn't leave the lake.

I had a 1999 Pro165 that I recently sold. Do a careful inspection of the the deck, since its made of wood. Does the boat still have its original carpet or has been it been replaced? Ask when was the last time the trailer bearings were replaced, as well as the trailer tires. And like WTodd mentioned, maintenance records would really help. Is the outboard the original that came with the boat?

hog head

I know its been sitting for 2.5 years and it has a mercury 25 horse bigfoot motor 4 stroke. Bearings are cheap and I am a mechanic by trade. I know it will need batteries and a impeller probably tires too. The tires might be ok since it is kept in a garage out of the sun.

WTodd

Being a mechanic is a huge plus because it can save you some money

Lipripper

Quote from: hog head on February 03, 2020, 03:36:23 PM
I know its been sitting for 2.5 years and it has a mercury 25 horse bigfoot motor 4 stroke. Bearings are cheap and I am a mechanic by trade. I know it will need batteries and a impeller probably tires too. The tires might be ok since it is kept in a garage out of the sun.

I would think if it's been setting for 2.5 years without being started it's going to need a good going over but if your a mechanic by trade you should be able to handle it.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

geneinnc

There is a wealth of knowledge here. I would strongly suggest you meet fisherman near you. I've had several new bass fisherman ask and I load them up on the Nitro and school is in!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

hog head

I live in central California lol. I'm sure there isn't much on a boat I couldn't figure out I just don't want a money pit.

Donald Garner

hog head,

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SteveTX

hog head

Thanks guys

Captsteve

Welcome

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake