Spare tire

Started by Pipepro, February 17, 2020, 12:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipepro

So while trying to plan the steps for my trailer I see that my spare tire is Definitely in the way.

The question is, should I build a new spare tire mount to hold the tire up under the bow of the boat OR should I just toss it into the bed of the truck and lock it up there. I do have a bed cover on the truck, and the bed rarely sees more than some bags of groceries.

Whatcha all think?

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Captsteve

Yes, move it under the bow. IMHO

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Mike Cork

I've had all kinds of stuff stolen at the ramps but never my tire... knock on wood. I have an under bow carrier and it works great. If you have sketchy ramps then it might be worth locking up. Just don't forget to check the pressure from time to time. In the bed of the truck, out of site out of mind...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pipepro

I dont think the ramps around here are too sketchy, but a lock keeps an honest man honest.

Bud Kennedy

I don't see how the spare tire original position is a problem.  Have you checked out a Trick Step style design?

Capt. BassinLou

If your handy enough to construct an under the bow spare tire carrier, go for it!! As far as protection. I have mine held down with a security cable and anti theft plug nut. If they really want my spare they will have to work at for a bit.

Pipepro

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 17, 2020, 01:36:23 PM
I don't see how the spare tire original position is a problem.  Have you checked out a Trick Step style design?

Yes, I am considering something similar to the Trick Steps. The tire is almost dead center to where I would need to mount the steps. Its kinda hard to see but here is the basic idea:

Quote from: Bassinlou on February 17, 2020, 01:48:30 PM
If your handy enough to construct an under the bow spare tire carrier, go for it!!

I can handle making it for sure, Im just trying to figure out if its even worth doing. Reading through some other forums I see most just put it in the bed and lock it up.  So far I dont see any downside to locking it in the bed now that I only have the 1 truck.

Mike Cork

I wonder if you mounted the tire on a vertical plate and switched it to the other side if it would be in the way of the tongue jack. Probably will... The under bow is the way to go

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

just pulled up the picture of your boat from the video and I see what you mean.  I was thinking you mount was farther back under the bow  and not forward like is shown in the picture. Maybe an under bow between the trailer frame mount would work in this case. The picture you posed today is where I thought your spare already was.  The idea in the bottom picture should work well.

Pipepro

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 17, 2020, 02:47:16 PM
I wonder if you mounted the tire on a vertical plate and switched it to the other side if it would be in the way of the tongue jack. Probably will... The under bow is the way to go

I agree. I was looking at just swapping sides with it or making it a vertical mount. I saw a canted vertical mount, where the tire was just off of vertical to kind of match the curve of the hull. Im still not sold. I think Ill concentrate on the steps, and then see how I feel about the spare tire.

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 17, 2020, 03:04:47 PM
just pulled up the picture of your boat from the video and I see what you mean.  I was thinking you mount was farther back under the bow  and not forward like is shown in the picture.

I think its a ridiculous mount for sure.  I have been wanting to get rid of that mount since I got the boat. I think the steps will force me into action! 

Bassinkorea

With the spare tire in that location doesn't it act as a step in itself?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Pipepro

Quote from: Bassinkorea on February 17, 2020, 07:49:22 PM
With the spare tire in that location doesn't it act as a step in itself?

Sorta, Its not all bad hopping up into the boat, but if the wife were to try and step down from the boat onto that tire, its too far of a drop. That and with nothing to hang onto its a good recipe for a fall. 

big g

When you done with this project take a bunch of pics for us.  Thanks
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Deadeye

Cut the Flat Plate off, Weld it back on (you may need to put an extension on), on the Side. Move the Entire Mount back to right in front of the Axle.

That is where Range put mine and it works great. Never in the way.

Or buy the Spare Tire Mount from Harbor Freight and use it to mount wherever you want. I was planning to weld/make one for my U-Trailer until I found the one from HF. I could buy it cheaper than the material would of cost me.

Pipepro

Quote from: Deadeye on February 18, 2020, 06:08:03 AM
Cut the Flat Plate off, Weld it back on (you may need to put an extension on), on the Side. Move the Entire Mount back to right in front of the Axle.

You mean something like this?

This is the canted mount I mentioned earlier. I think something like this would work and be easier to access than laying under the boat. All good ideas, lots to consider.

TNDiver

OOh I like that because it would also provide some hull protection from an accident or if you hit something while trailering.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Donald Garner

Quote from: Pipepro on February 18, 2020, 07:38:01 AM
You mean something like this?

This is the canted mount I mentioned earlier. I think something like this would work and be easier to access than laying under the boat. All good ideas, lots to consider.

That would work.  IF you ever had to change a flat you wouldn't be having to get under the hull.  It right there waist high easy to get too.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard