Trailer security

Started by RangerAndBass, May 01, 2020, 12:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RangerAndBass

I never had a need before, and hope I dont really, but what would you guys think is my best solution?
I have my bass boat parked in my garage but I want to leave the garage door open. The house is empty for long periods during the day or even over night. What would you suggest for security? I've looked online and seen chock locks, though you can pull a dual axle trailer with 1 wheel off so I would have to buy 2 at least I'm guessing. Or should I go with a coupler lock?
What's your suggestion, right down to make and model.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

WTodd

Not understanding why you want to leave your garage door open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerAndBass

Quote from: WTodd on May 01, 2020, 12:31:40 PM
Not understanding why you want to leave your garage door open

Well I wasn't gonna get into details but this is my florida boat. The garage is attached to horse barn and we have a person boarding horses over the summer and they want the doors open to allow maximum breeze. Our property is fenced and gated so it's not a real threat, but it would be foolish not to add a little more security.

WTodd

Gotcha.....lockable chocks would work as good as anything......if someone is motivated enough they're going to steal it.  A good old fashioned junk yard dog is your best bet

SteveTX

As was said anything is just a deterrent to ward off theivery. If someone wants that boat it doesn't matter what you do. That being understood a few deterrents would be:

1. A removable hitch mine has 2 pins you pull and the whole hitch slides out and can be put in the house. Any decent fab shop should be able to make this modification. 

2. The lockable chocks you mentioned.

3. A log chain through the spokes of 2 wheels or through the trailer frame and to a well secured D ring in the concrete floor.

None of these are 100% effective but could be enough to make a thief decide to hit somewhere else.

A great surveillance camera and insurance would be nice in the event a thief was determined he wanted it.

BarryFL

I wouldnt spend more to secure it than insurance cost.

~Barry~

~Barry~

zippyduck

My boats sit on the side of the house with a roof but no sides. I use hitch locks and a trail camera mounted in my kitchen window.
So far we have great pics of a female cardinal that doesn't like being filmed.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

FD

A quality coated bike lock works the best. If they really want it they will steal it anyway.

The bike lock is easy to use and will not scratch the rims getting it on and off.

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

allaboutfun

You need to make it so they can't hook it up to a vehicle. I use the attached lock for the ball lock then use a longer shank keyed lock for the coupler that I also include the safety cables in the lock. I have a swing tongue so I remove the pin and install a really heavy duty round key lock in the trailer part of the trailer pin ( see other pic, so they can't install their own pin).  Sounds like overkill but they will need to breach 3 locking points to hook up and they don't have access to the cables for a ghetto get away.

RangerAndBass

Thanks for all the good advice guys.
Barry, I hear ya. My issue would be getting a replacement boat in time that I dont loose any more time on the water when I am there!
Thanks again

BarryFL

If you got cash from an insurance claim, you could be on the water pretty quick. Guy that bought my old Triton, with cash, fished that afternoon.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Deadeye

I don't know of that particular Brand of Hitch Ball Lock, but I saw a video some time ago of the Yellow one where all they had to do to break it was Back into it with some force. Snapped it right off.

Ranger uses that Different Hitch style than some, so I bought a Pin Style Lock that slides through from one side to another. Works easy and well.

I have also seen where a guy used the supplied Ranger Pin on one side and one of those Pin Locks that slides open on the other side.

Places like Lowes and Home Depot also sell a Heavy Duty Cable Lock that I keep on the Spare. One of those would take more effort to remove than most Thieves would want to do.

RangerAndBass

Thanks Fred.

TNDiver

My dad cut the ball off an old one, stuck it up inside the trailer mount and then used a good pad lock to lock the coupler.  They had issues with people using a smaller ball and getting it under the trailer mount and still being able to pull it until they could get it secure enough to work in getting the lock off.  This would prevent that.  And the other things pros suggested.  Another idea: could you install a removable gate on the front of the garage?  That way it gives you more security, but also allows the breeze
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Bud Kennedy

Security is always a damned if you do /damned if you don't topic.  After being in the security business for 23 years, I can tell you that you can run but you can't hide.  Any locking system can be defeated and the best you can do is to use a hitch lock of some type just to make it inconvenient.  I personally use a Master Lock through the coupler lock.  It can be defeated but it will create an inconvenience and impede the opportunity offered the bad guy. 

If a thief is more professional and planned the theft,  then nothing is fool proof.  All you can do is make it inconvenient.  The pin lock also is ideal to protect the trailer just a bit in the parking lot attached to your tow vehicle while you and the boat are out fishing.  This also means being sure the hitch receiver on your truck is also locked into place.

RangerAndBass

Thanks TN & Bud. I think I'll go with the master lock. I really just want someone to think twice. If they steal it then I go with Barry's plan... collect the insurance and buy another boat!

BarryFL

Bryn, remember there are two types of insurance. Agreed value and assessed value. I have an agreed value policy. Boats can depreciate really fast, especially when insurance is involved.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Deadeye

Just for your info, here is what mine looks like.

I think it's a Reese but not sure.