Quantum tour s3 pt

Started by hog head, February 19, 2020, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hog head

Has anyone used a quantum tour s3 pt if so what did you think thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

I dont have the Tour model, but I do have the Smoke KVD S3 which is very similar. So far I'm pretty impressed with its smoothness and castibility. The ergonomics of the reel are nice and compact, and the spools hold a lot of line.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

hog head

I have been looking at one just don't know anyone that had them. I figured it is there high end reel so it should be good. Right now I have a tatula sv tw I love and some older shimano curados I would like to upgrade.

loomisguy

Depending on what model Curado's you have that may not be a upgrade.

hog head

There from the 90s I think bataan or something like that.

geneinnc

I have 2. The KVD signature is quickly becoming my favorite. Smooth as silk makes long days with a crankbait easier. I'm about 50/50 with Quantum now that I added a Vapor. Those Vapor reels shine with the smaller crankbaits too.

I'm rating the Abu Revo reels equal to the Quantums I own.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

hog head

Thanks for the input

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: hog head on February 19, 2020, 10:30:17 PM

i have the quantum smoke s3 pt which is essentially the same thing minus the carbon fiber handle or refined version that the tour s3 is.  i have higher end shimanos and lews reels along with 13fishing reels to compare.  i must say the quantum reel is probably the one i have in my hands most when i'm out fishing.  yeah the brakes are loud, but VERY effective.  the reel is ultra quiet though on retrieve and is about as smooth as a sub $200 reel can get.  i've had no problems with it and really like the size and shape of the reel - how it palms in the hand.  for example, a chronarch mgl is really low profile and very comfortable but the spool is recessed much more than the quantum, even with a spool full of line.  incidentally the quantum spool holds 75 more yards of line than a chronarch mgl and has what feels like a slightly wider spool.  fortunately, i was lucky enough to low ball on ebay for $90 brand new in box for the quantum and haven't regretted it at all.  there's something about the reel that grabs you.  no you won't be overly blown away at the build quality etc...  but, it's a very reliable workhorse and just flat out performs.  oh, and when you dial it in right it i will outcast my chronarch and metanium mgls.  i'll admit i'm a little surprised by the smoke s3 pt.  i guess if KVD uses/used them that must amount to something...now i have an idea why.

hog head

Thanks for the input if I appreciate your feedback.

fishballer06

I owned one for a little while but never actually fished it. Seemed like a decent reel for the money. I'm not a huge fan of the Quantum braking system, but it works fine.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

geneinnc

Brakes need lube after 5 outings roughly.

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: geneinnc on April 20, 2020, 06:25:02 PM
Brakes need lube after 5 outings roughly.

i've never done this in a year of owning mine and it casts even better now that's it's broken in.  i don't lube brakes on any of my reels then again most are shimanos and their maintenance is pretty minimal when it comes to lubrication.

geneinnc

Quote from: hydrillagorillahunter on April 23, 2020, 04:56:44 AM
i've never done this in a year of owning mine and it casts even better now that's it's broken in.  i don't lube brakes on any of my reels then again most are shimanos and their maintenance is pretty minimal when it comes to lubrication.
I might need to amend that statement. Next day after living the brakes noise is back. From what my service buddies tell me brakes are normally to blame a tiny bit of rust in a bearing can cause the noise.

The noise came back yesterday. I'll tear it down and see if I can find the problem. Its casting fine, just noisy.

Sorry for any misinformation and I will post the outcome.

fishballer06

Quote from: hydrillagorillahunter on April 23, 2020, 04:56:44 AM

All of the new Shimano's with the new braking system need a drop of oil on the brake drum every few trips. It's a better system, but it does require a little more maintenance than the Shimano's of 10 years ago. 
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: fishballer06 on April 23, 2020, 10:54:21 AM
All of the new Shimano's with the new braking system need a drop of oil on the brake drum every few trips. It's a better system, but it does require a little more maintenance than the Shimano's of 10 years ago.

Ive always swiped Shimano brake drums every few trips with light oil. All the way back to the B series.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: geneinnc on April 23, 2020, 09:24:44 AM
Sorry for any misinformation and I will post the outcome.

i wouldn't imply misinformation here; in your defense quantum does state that 'you can' oil the centrifugal track lightly on their youtube channel.  now i knew of the maintenance before i actually got my reel and checked for this when i got it and the track was dry which seems logical.  it appears to be a brass track and they rate the reel as salt-guard protected so not sure why oil is recommended on their youtube channel other than maybe the polymer type used.  their maintenance department advises to keep it dry which is funny.

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: fishballer06 on April 23, 2020, 10:54:21 AM

assuming you mean the svs infinity system here, it's all i own with them because i really like the system - not a DC fan.  also, the only maintenance i can find from shimano online is relatively old, but the theme of tight tolerances and minimal oil remains the same it seems. 

now on the svs system i don't oil the brake pipe assembly as it was dry out of box on all the reels i own, but i'm not sure if it needs to be.  again, i have no clue of what shimano advises with current tech without calling them, but assume the polymer tabs would wear faster with oil since more load/contact from the brake pipe would be required due to less friction depending on the polymer used.  not a big deal, but now i'm curious if shimano advises if the brake pipe assembly should be lubed.  food for thought though in the link below with regard to polymers in oil-lubricated conditions.  apparently not all are suitable for oil-lubricated conditions which makes me wonder why certain reel manufacturers might recommend versus the other.

if they've advised you to oil the brake pipe then let us know - i'll start doing so.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4628(19980627)68:13%3C2175::AID-APP14%3E3.0.CO;2-Z

i'll say this - the brakes on the smoke s3 pt are probably the best i've used.

MagForceX

Quote from: hog head on February 19, 2020, 10:30:17 PM

I have a Tour S3. More than having no meaningful complaints about it I think it's a great performer. The brakes aren't touchy and the fact that I don't have to pop open a sideplate to turn on or turn off brake blocks is a real plus. The one thing that surprised me is it's long casting capability. I think there's something specific about this braking system that allows the brakes to be set low enough to allow for extra long casts, but also controls the spool in a way that allows for extra oomph to be put into the cast without penalty. All I know is that if I want to fire a bait far I can. Really far actually. The bearings are stock, just re-oiled. It palms well and is very smooth while cranking lures back in. It's not "brand new out of the box" Curado K smooth, but very close actually. Not much more to add except for I'll be trying out a few more models in the line to see what's up. Regardless of whether those pan out or not I'm definitely getting a few more Tours.

hog head

Thanks for the review

MagForceX

Quote from: hydrillagorillahunter on April 23, 2020, 03:27:16 PM
assuming you mean the svs infinity system here, it's all i own with them because i really like the system - not a DC fan.  also, the only maintenance i can find from shimano online is relatively old, but the theme of tight tolerances and minimal oil remains the same it seems. 

now on the svs system i don't oil the brake pipe assembly as it was dry out of box on all the reels i own, but i'm not sure if it needs to be.  again, i have no clue of what shimano advises with current tech without calling them, but assume the polymer tabs would wear faster with oil since more load/contact from the brake pipe would be required due to less friction depending on the polymer used.  not a big deal, but now i'm curious if shimano advises if the brake pipe assembly should be lubed.  food for thought though in the link below with regard to polymers in oil-lubricated conditions.  apparently not all are suitable for oil-lubricated conditions which makes me wonder why certain reel manufacturers might recommend versus the other.

if they've advised you to oil the brake pipe then let us know - i'll start doing so.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4628(19980627)68:13%3C2175::AID-APP14%3E3.0.CO;2-Z

i'll say this - the brakes on the smoke s3 pt are probably the best i've used.

Hi,

The oiling instructions for the brake pipe are included in the fold out that comes with the reels. That section is definitely included with the K's instruction sheet. Shimano recommends one oiling per five uses, or once a month. I do it every 3rd use.

It's true that oil may soften the brake blocks. Shimano said as much regarding the early SVS Infinity red blocks as found in the Chronarch CI4+. Bantam1 made recommendations to add a small bit of their oil directly to the blocks initially and use the reel within hours in order to shape the block to the pipe's diameter. That definitely helped with my sample. Those blocks were prone to screaming and oiling solved that for the most part.

"i'll say this - the brakes on the smoke s3 pt are probably the best i've used."

Same here. I agree. I'm sort of amazed that this real gets virtually no attention on the forums. All I know is that I'd like a few more. With my luck Quantum will shift their business model to making handbaskets and they'll become unobtanium. The niche things I like have a habit of disappearing somehow.

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: MagForceX on April 24, 2020, 08:56:00 PM

The oiling instructions for the brake pipe are included in the fold out that comes with the reels. That section is definitely included with the K's instruction sheet. Shimano recommends one oiling per five uses, or once a month. I do it every 3rd use.

It's true that oil may soften the brake blocks. Shimano said as much regarding the early SVS Infinity red blocks as found in the Chronarch CI4+. Bantam1 made recommendations to add a small bit of their oil directly to the blocks initially and use the reel within hours in order to shape the block to the pipe's diameter. That definitely helped with my sample. Those blocks were prone to screaming and oiling solved that for the most part.

mag...thanks for this.  i could've sworn i went through the paperwork that came with my reels on at least one and obviously overlooked this.  and there i was like a fool searching for reel maintenance videos on youtube and online, only found old vids and PDFs.  now i know...and i've had my reels for a while now.  i haven't had any noise issues or brake issues, but then again i run my reels pretty loose and thumb quite a bit to control casting distance and eliminate backlashes. 

i mean if it came down to it i believe two brakes are set out of box, so in theory anyone could swap to the other two and follow the correct break-in and maintenance process that you've explained, if this proper maintenance was overlooked.

and i agree, it's tough to find good coverage online on these latest offerings from quantum.  i had low expectations to be honest prior to getting mine.  i think i had read here and there that they're cheaply made etc...  then i'd read otherwise...super smooth casting...casts a mile and so on.  well i got lucky on ebay and snagged mine NIB for dirt cheap.  figured that i paid half price so what do i have to lose.  well, what i gained is probably my favorite reel to use over my other reels that are 3-4 times the price.  like i said, there's something about it that grabs you...the ergonomics, the weight, the smooth retrieve and the outstanding brakes...it just feels like a blue collar reel that gets the job done, that simple! 

hog head

Thanks for all the input guys.