To stay away from 2 stoke

Started by Captsteve, February 20, 2020, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captsteve

Looking at buying a used boat. I do not want a 2 stroke engine. Most ads don't specify.  So what engines and years do I need to stay away from?

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Captsteve

Must be some outboard knowledgable guys on here

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Mike the fox

I'm guessing but I would say anything before around 2000 or so is most likely gonna have a 2 stroke. It's usually pretty easy to tell from a picture. 4 strokes look huge on the back of a boat, especially the early models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FD

Older 4 strokes are HEAVY. 2 strokes have a much better horsepower to weight ratio.

The Evinrude Ficht had some issues in the early 2000's but I had one with zero issues from mine.

I've had the Evinrude and two Mercury two strokes in my last 3 boats and have had very few problems.

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Captsteve

Thanks guys

Steve
Headed for the Lake

SteveTX

Im running a 2000 Johnson with the factory oil injection. Its been flawless as far as dependable goes.

Mike Cork

To pick a specific year would be hard. Many companies made both for several years and only two or three years has everyone went to 4 strokes.

Rough guess, anything newer than 2015 is probably a 4 stroke, anything 2010-2015 could be either but the size is a good tool to help determine. Earlier than 2010 you had to specifically ask for a 4 stroke and only companies like Honda, Yamaha had them. Again this is a rough estimate.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Steve, Evinrude and Johnson are still 2-stroke. Even the new G-2 Etec is a 2-stroke. Just about everyone else is making a 4-stroke now. The risk involved in buying a used outboard IMHO is the same regardless if it's a 2 or 4 stroke engine. Any outboard that has been properly maintained, operated, and taken care of can last you a lifetime.

I'd worry that people treat four stroke outboards like they treat the 4-stroke lawnmowers and tractors. They'll change the oil a couple times including when they go to sell it. If you're buying a boat that just a few years old, the motor probably had at least a 3 or 4 year warranty and the dealer may have all the service records unless the owner serviced it himself or didn't service it.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

I learned something new, no idea BRB was still making two strokes. But BRB isn't BRB anymore so... I'll just put my foot in my mouth and hope away...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mike the fox

Quote from: SteveTX on February 21, 2020, 11:00:04 AM
Im running a 2000 Johnson with the factory oil injection. Its been flawless as far as dependable goes.

That's funny. I had a 98 Johnson and let's just say if hate were people, I'd be China! As far as that goes I've had nothing but problems with both johnson outboards I've owned. I know lots of guys that loved Johnson and were sad to see them go but I've never been anything but relieved to see mine go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 21, 2020, 11:32:22 AM
I leaned something new, no idea BRB was still making two strokes. But BRB isn't BRB anymore so... I'll just put my foot in my mouth and hope away...
Nearly two years ago I heard from an extremely reliable source that BRP/Evinrude was working on a 4-stroke. The Etec and Etec G2 has been so successful that they keep pushing any plans to introduce anything new further down the road. The Etec and Etec G2 have both exceeded their planned lifespan. The Etec was supposed to have reached "end of life" when the G2 was announced.
I've been told that when their next outboard hits the market it will be revolutionary. 2-strokes are cheaper to build and have fewer moving parts. That's got to mean fewer warranty claims and less warranty costs.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

Quote from: Mike the fox on February 21, 2020, 11:44:00 AM
That's funny. I had a 98 Johnson and let's just say if hate were people, I'd be China! As far as that goes I've had nothing but problems with both johnson outboards I've owned. I know lots of guys that loved Johnson and were sad to see them go but I've never been anything but relieved to see mine go.

I got the only good one they made.  lo

Side note I'm about to go fishing at 1pm wont surprise me a bit if it throws a rod out the side.  ~roflmao

Oldfart9999

Any 2 stroke under 15 years old should be ok to buy and parts are readily available. The older 4 strokes had a few issues, among them folks not servicing them when they should. The new 4 strokes are lighter and more responsive and sip fuel but they still require maintenance that 2 strokes don't but if the maintenance is done then there shouldn't be issues.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Captsteve

Thanx guys, now considering a 2 stoke. Looking at a 19' stratos with a 115 2 stroke. 2011 for $12,500

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Captsteve on February 25, 2020, 08:13:48 AM
Thanx guys, now considering a 2 stoke. Looking at a 19' stratos with a 115 2 stroke. 2011 for $12,500

A 115 on a 19' Stratos is going to be slow and tough to get on pad.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 25, 2020, 09:17:12 AM
A 115 on a 19' Stratos is going to be slow and tough to get on pad.
I agree.

Bud Kennedy

+1 on Princeton Man post.  Just not enough motor for that boat.

Deadeye

Quote from: Captsteve on February 25, 2020, 08:13:48 AM

Sounds like someone blew the engine and replaced it with a cheaper one.

Any 19 ft Boat is going to struggle with a 115 or it will be propped to get on plan fast with a very low top end.

Captsteve

Thanks for the info

Steve
Headed for the Lake

WTodd

First I'm a 4 stroke fan but like Lee said early models are heavy and therefore 2 strokes of the same years are faster. Merc has solved the weight problems now but that won't help you. The only recommendation I can make is when you see a boat Google the engine and see if any systemic issues come up. Also any 18' glass boat needs a 150, 19' a 175 and so on.....as a rule of thumb.

Before you buy get all the info you can on the boat and motor; maintenance records are a must and do a compression test too.

Captsteve

All great info, thanks

Steve
Headed for the Lake