What lb test braid on spinning?

Started by Bankbeater56, February 21, 2020, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankbeater56

Good morning all,
I have been away from fishing for a while due to dad and granddad duties but hoping to get back to it come end of school year. Anyway, I have 2 Daiwa BG Spinning Reels that I recently purchased (2500,3000)
I have 15lb test spooled on the 2500 and was wondering what to put on the 3000. Should I stick with the 15lb or go higher?
I will be using it on a med/heavy fast rod. I will be using it for just about everything (no specific tecniques)
just an all around set up.

Thanks
Gregg

SteveTX

I just throw 20lb braid on mine. I am one of those who doesn't buy into the fish are skeerd of my line thing though. If I was I would just give the fish some sun glasses and I would still use 20lb braid and use a leader of what ever dainty fluro or mono I thought I needed.  lo

Princeton_Man

I use 10lb Power Pro on my medium action rig and 15lb on my medium heavy rigs. My reels are 2000 and 2500s and without meaning to, that keeps within Diawa's and Abu's specs.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 21, 2020, 10:34:18 AM
I use 10lb Power Pro on my medium action rig and 15lb on my medium heavy rigs. My reels are 2000 and 2500s and without meaning to, that keeps within Diawa's and Abu's specs.

similar.  focus on 'line diameter' of the braid as the key for spinning.  that puts me at 12# braid (4lb mono diameter) for my spinning rods.  2000 size reels.

rcjoutdoors

You can definitely upsize the line slightly just in case you get into a situation where you need a bit more line strength. You can also stay with the same test on the bigger spool if you needed more capacity. I have 10-30 on various few setups for freshwater and inshore. I can use the light braid primarily in open water and add leaders. I may use heavier line near docks
Fishing is life!

cbburke

using 8 or 10lbs Sufix 832 Braided Line (Ghost) on my 2500 reels
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

Pferox

I'm running 2000 and up series spinning reels.  Anything over 5000 usually gets mono.

On I use 20 lb on any of the reels.  30 or 40lb usually goes onto the 3000 and 4000 reels I use.

I have a few favorite brands but my most favorite brand is "Whatever is on Sale".

A lot of it depends on where you are fishing at also, Up North I would think about lighter line, but down South, 20lb would be minimum
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

I use Fireline on all my spinning reels. It cuts vegetation a little better than regular braid and seems a bit more abrasion resistant. About 95% of the time I use 14 lb. test which has the diameter of 6 lb mono.

I have gone as low as 6 lb test/ 2 lb mono diameter and as high as 30 lb test/ 12 lb diameter depending on various factors, but that 14 lb does the lions share of spinning reel duty for me.

All my panfish reels also have Fireline on them as well. Here 6 lb/ 2 lb mono diameter is the most used but I've gone lower.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pferox

Fireline used to have a fused line and a braided line.  I really liked the fused stuff, is that still around?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Pferox on February 23, 2020, 12:09:02 PM
Fireline used to have a fused line and a braided line.  I really liked the fused stuff, is that still around?

The fused stuff is my favorite too, and that's actually what I was referring to. It is still around but it's getting harder to find at retailers. It is a 4-strand thermally-fused line versus a braid. You have to look for the packages that say either "Fireline Original".

They have a new 8 carrier version but that is a true braid. I haven't tried it so I can't offer an opinion on that stuff.

Here's a picture of box from the Original Fused Line:
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Jacobguy

I've got 25# on mine only because I fish for walleye with it too, and somtimes you hook the occasional lake trout. And I dont feel like letting it run.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

I use from 6 to 20 lb on my spinning just depends. I switched to Power Pro from original FireLine, it cast better, I'll have to try the 8 carrier.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FishinBuck07

geneinnc

20 for the most part. I have one light rod dedicated for small lures with 10lb.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jwkelley51

I use 15 on all spinning. I have trouble tying 10 and I'm a line watcher, big time. I can't see the 10 moving and jerking near as well.

Dink Dawg

Deadeye

As you can tell, where you fish and what you fish in and how you fish greatly effects what size line you will be using.

I unlike most "southern guys" carry several Spinning Rigs with me on the boat. One, I have the space for them. Two, they give me more options for different presentations. Three, I grew up with Spinning and still enjoy using it.

I have one rod with 8 lb mono. That one is for those days when Bass are not biting and I decide to save the day by catching a few Specks or Bream. But I have caught Bass on it on those Cold Cold Florida Days while using a Hard Jerkbait. Something about that smaller line in cold water gives it just the right deal to make them bite. It is a 6'6" Medium rod with a 1000 sized reel.

I have two rods rigged with 12 lb mono Big Game. I use them for Hard Jerkbaits in warm weather, Shakey Head, some Topwater, and Whatnot. They are on Medium 6'6" rods that are older than some of you with 2000 sized reels.

Lately I have added two more to my collection. They are 6'6" Medium and MH rods spooled on 2500 series reels with 50 lb Braid. I use them for Wacky Rig, Topwater, and with the MH can use it fir pretty much whatever Bait I want to throw.

You might of noticed they are all 6'6". For one they fit in that rod box easily and I can walk baits better with that size rod.

So there is no One Right Answer. You must adapt your outfits to Your Personal Style of Fishing.

If I had only 2 Outfits, as the Original Poster stated he had, I would most likely rig one with 15-20 lb braid and one with 30-50 lb braid. With those two you can pretty much fish anything anywhere.

However if the waters I fished were really really clear, then I would switch that to 15 lb and 20-25 lb Flouro by a quality brand.

Personally I find the Sunline Assassin to be a perfect mix of Limpness, Castability, and Toughness and is what I use for all my Flouro needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbburke

Tend to throw 8/10 braid line with 10 lbs leader.

I'm fond of Suffix 832 Ghost braid line as I'm a line watcher.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

HellaBass

For finesse stuff I use 10-12lb braid with 8lb leaders.
For heavier stuff and docks, I use 30lb braid to 12-15lb fluoro leader

For what you are doing, I would split the difference and run 15-20lb braid mainline and add small leaders when needed for finesse

ike8120

I am using 8-10# on my finesse rigs with FC leader.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

chrisD46

Ned Rig : #8 lb. Power Pro + leader
Shaky Head / Wacky Rig /   :  #10 lb. Power Pro + leader
Pitching finesse jigs near cover / docks : #15 lb. Power Pro + leader .

*I tried #20 lb. Power Pro on a #3500 size spinning reel set up and while it worked fine I just wasn't getting as long of casts due to wind and rod guide friction . Although the #20 lb. braid line size resists wind knots better and is stronger around cover - I don't like the casting distance I was giving up in open water applications . I'd have no problem though  using #20 lb. Power Pro + leader  pitching to cover or docks .