Installing recessed trolling pedal

Started by ReelGood, March 27, 2020, 08:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelGood

Hi y'all!  I'm new to the forum, and excited to join. 

I have a 2006 pro craft 165 and want to install a recessed trolling pedal.

What is underneath??  If I cut the hole, will I end up cutting a cross beam??

I read a post where someone had a pro craft 175 and it fit, but I can't find ANYTHING on the 165. 

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks!
Reelgood  ~cf

SteveTX

Welcome to UB.

If it was mine I would scour the net for this as you are looking here. If I found useful information great if not you can check with some of the boat shops and see if any of them have done a model such as yours or have advise.

Im not familiar with that boat but I would look for access ports that you may get a hand or use a mirror and do some inspection. If you still cant get a idea there is only one other way I know and it requires a drill and a Digital Inspection Camera. These cameras can be bought for about $50 at places like harbor freight.

My boat has bracing all around the compartments. Im guessing most are this way. So you probably dont want to start up close to the perimeter of the boat or around compartments.

Bassinkorea

Is it possible to see what's under the deck area from inside the rod lockers?
When I installed mine (Triton) I looked inside the rod lockers and found there was on stiffener running front to back.

Welcome to the forum  ~c~

Sent from my LM-V510N using Tapatalk

2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

FD

Also welcome to the forum.

Is there a removable panel on your bow where the TM plug is?

Can you reach under from the front of your rod locker?

Can you remove the liner from your front center box?

Post a pic of the front of your boat. That might give us some more ideas.

FD

If you don't have pieces leftover, you didn't put it back together right...
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Deadeye

Hmm, When I did mine (2004 Ranger 185VS) I was able to call Ranger and talk to the Engineers there and got info from them on what to expect on my boat. He was Spot On and it went very smooth.

ProCraft is not still being made I don't think and I'm not sure who owns the Brand now.

On a 16 1/2 ft boat I'd bet there will be cross brace that you will encounter.

I had a PVC Pipe (under deck support Bow to back) and the Front of the Center Storage Compartment to cut through. I did as the Engineer suggested and used a piece of Cardboard to make a template of the Tray and use it mark out where on the Storage Box I had to cut to fit.

It worked perfect and the Tray fit right in.

My Ranger had a TON of Foam under the deck, lots of other don't,

Go to EZ Troll and watch their Tray Install Video. Doesn't matter if you buy their brand or not, it is the BEST video I seen on how to do a tray install.   

Remember to MEASURE TWICE AND CUT ONCE!!

I used a jigsaw, Reciprocating saw (to cut out the foam), Tape, Plastic, Shop Vac.

Princeton_Man

Like others have said, do some research. If you can find a marine dealer who sold ProCraft, ask them. On some boats you may have to cut into the tackle locker which also acts as support.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Also keep in mind that not all recessed trays are created equal.  Different materials (plastic & metal) and different sizes in some.  You have to consider the Minn Kota pedal is wider.