3 Dobyns Rods

Started by strongx, March 28, 2020, 05:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongx

I can talk myself into getting 3 rods right now. I want to stay at the champion level and below (unless convinced otherwise lol). I am thinking:
1) DC764CB
2) DC744C
3) DC704CB

Feedback please. These are 3 rods that Gary has really bragged on. Come to think of it, he brags on most of them! ~c~ Are there others I should consider while this supersale is going on? I don't want to overlook the fury or sierra line.

I currently have a DF705CB and DC705CB Glass and like them both. I have also considered the DC736 Glass, DC805CB glass or graphite, DC704CB Glass, and DC765CB Glass.

zippyduck

Hard to give feed back unless we know what you want to use them for.

You already have two universal cranking rods.
The DC744c is a great jig and t-rig rod. but not real versatile for anything else.

The 704cb is a good jerkbait rod but anything else you want to throw on it can be handled with the 705cb.

The 764cb is a great rod for deeper cranks.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

strongx

You're right zip. I wasn't specific at all. I don't have a great 1/2 oz football jig w/trailer rod - so the 744 seems highly recommended. I don't love the 705's I have for throwing the 6-14' cranks. It feels like I really have to work (fishing ain't work for me) to get distance on the cast-so the 764 gets a lot of praise for these medium cranks.
So I guess I'm trying to decide among the 805cbrm or glass, 765 glass, 736 glass, 704cb, or another for that 3rd rod to order. Even though I have really got into jerkbait lately and the 704 is THE rod for that, I have more flexibility with old spinning rods to throw these jerks. My chatter/spinnerbaits easily overpower my spinning stuff so I was thinking 736 glass, but the 705's seem adequate for a novice like me.
That leaves deciding between the 805/805 glass and the 765 glass for the dd22's, 6xd's, and bigger DT's. Again, it's a workout trying to get distance on these with my current rods.

Thoughts?

zippyduck

Gary is going to recommend the 805 CBRM for the bigger baits.

I don't own one as I'm not a big cranker. I throw the 6XD on my 735cb glass and it works but a longer rod would be better.
a 736cb glass is an awesome chatterbait rod but it really doesn't work for spinnerbaits for me. And would work for some of the bigger cranks.

For spinnerbaits I like a SA734c for more accurate casts and more hook setting power.

I love my DC744c for jigs and use it for football jigs a lot. It is also great with a 1/4 oz. hula grub also, I have one DC744c  just for that presentation.

Dink Dawg

Wow!  That is three great additions.  The 704CB is the best jerkbait rod ever.  It is also super for poppers, 1.0 and 1.5 size crankbaits.  If you throw a Bandit 100 you will get it right quick.

The 764CB RM is fantastic.  It is the PERFECT rod for Curve 55's, Deep Little N's, Rock Crawlers, Wiggle Warts, and can even throw deeper baits like a Cloud 9,size10 or DD14/22. Great lipless rod in moderate grass. 

The 744C is an animal all by itself.  It has it's own signature action, very fast but no mistaking it....it has an active tip.  Don't pigeon hole this rod into one bait.  You can throw heavier swim jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and texas rigs. I've even thrown HB frogs on it.   It just locks up pretty quick.  You are going to love it.   Great choices!

Mike Cork

I think you've already done all the leg work here and are just needing some assurance and I say heck ya pull the trigger. You're all over it with these rods for what you're talking about.

The only question I would pose is, have you used an 8 foot rod before? Some love them and will never go back and others find they are too much for them...

If you have used a long rod and didn't like it then stick with the 764, but if you've not found that length that gets to be too much for you then give the 8 footer a shot.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

strongx

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger and called Dobyns this morning. I should have the 744c, 764cb, and 805cb on the way. I'm definitely anxious to get them!

To be honest, I will probably wish I had gotten the 704cb or 736glass instead of that 805. But I have other rods to use for jerks and chatters, not for the dd22s. I hope to eventually get those other two rods.

Mike-I'll have to let you know about the 805. Hopefully I will love it.

...and now for reels...

Mike Cork

Looking forward to your thoughts on all of them.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

strongx

I'm kinda anxious about my order. I called Monday morning. They didn't ask for my email or provide any tracking number. When should I expect it here in East TN?

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: strongx on April 01, 2020, 05:45:52 PM
I'm kinda anxious about my order. I called Monday morning. They didn't ask for my email or provide any tracking number. When should I expect it here in East TN?

Just my opinion but I wouldn't worry about it. They've NEVER not shipped an order. With the sheer volume of orders they have due to the massive sale going on they are working very hard to get them all out as soon as humanly possible and in the order received. My advice would be to please be a little extra patient and if it doesn't show up by Friday call them and see where things stand. 903-919-8028

Also, this could be a FedEX issue. With most carriers things are taking an extra day or two longer than normal. If you have the FedEx app on your phone you can sign up for an account and text alerts. That way anytime a label is created for a FedEx shipment to your address you will get a text letting you know and then you can track the package every step of the way.

I'm assuming you called in your order. Typically you wouldn't get a tracking number in this instance since they don't generate one until the items are packaged and ready to go out. To protect your privacy they won't ask for any information you don't volunteer unless it is necessary to process your order, so while they will need a street address to ship your order to they do not need an email address.

The first order I ever placed with them I asked them to take my email address and send me a tracking number when one is generated and that worked. I would take that approach in the future.

I hope that helps alleviate some of your worry.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

strongx

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on April 01, 2020, 06:10:26 PM
Just my opinion but I wouldn't worry about it. They've NEVER not shipped an order. With the sheer volume of orders they have due to the massive sale going on they are working very hard to get them all out as soon as humanly possible and in the order received. My advice would be to please be a little extra patient and if it doesn't show up by Friday call them and see where things stand. 903-919-8028

Also, this could be a FedEX issue. With most carriers things are taking an extra day or two longer than normal. If you have the FedEx app on your phone you can sign up for an account and text alerts. That way anytime a label is created for a FedEx shipment to your address you will get a text letting you know and then you can track the package every step of the way.

I'm assuming you called in your order. Typically you wouldn't get a tracking number in this instance since they don't generate one until the items are packaged and ready to go out. To protect your privacy they won't ask for any information you don't volunteer unless it is necessary to process your order, so while they will need a street address to ship your order to they do not need an email address.

The first order I ever placed with them I asked them to take my email address and send me a tracking number when one is generated and that worked. I would take that approach in the future.

I hope that helps alleviate some of your worry.
Good stuff, thx smallie. I will be happy if it's here by Friday. I couldn't have driven there and back in 4 days! ;D

When does the sale end? Im counting change for that 704cb I still want. 8)

Just anxious..

zippyduck

The sale ends Friday.
I need a 705cb and a DX742sf and should pull the trigger but the new rain suit already had the woman gasping for air.

fishballer06

Quote from: zippyduck on April 01, 2020, 07:50:56 PM
The sale ends Friday.
I need a 705cb and a DX742sf

Don't order the DX742SF, because when you do and I hold it, I'll want to buy one too.  ~shade
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

strongx

Rods were delivered earlier today! Packaging was VERY secure.  ~c~

The rest of the day will be spent "going through the stuff" and thinking about that 704cb. :-*

Thanks Gary for offering this deal. Many of us never would have been able to buy such nice equipment without the discount.

strongx

Follow-up on the 3 rods after a few months of use: 805cb, 764cb, and dc744c.

The dc744c is the best rod I have ever fished with. I have learned to pull those jigs and can feel the mud, logs, and rocks. The xtra fast action took some getting used to, but I have grown to really like it. Im anxious to determine the high side for this rod. Will it throw 3/4 oz plus trailer, or will i need to go to another rod?

The 764cb is an extremely versatile rod. Though I kept a medium diving crank tied on for several months, I now have a bladebait tied on. Ive not caught as many fish with this rod as I dont seem like a great crankbait fisherman ... yet. No regrets - it's a super rod.

I was least sure about buying the 805cb, but I am glad I did. The length was easy to get used to, and I can bomb those heavier cranks and moving baits. I dont have any other rod that can do what the 805 can do.

Dam0007

764 and 805 CB rods are killer as a 5XD 6XD 1,2 punch. Throw some DT10s on that 764, it feels like it was made for them! Love the action of the 744!
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass