Me and my boy had a fun day

Started by Bassinkorea, April 06, 2020, 06:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

Here's some photos from our fun day on the river today social distancing.

Prior to today, my 5 year old son Damon had caught and landed just 2 bass. Today he landed 6, with the biggest one being our big bass of the day. He was totally buzzing (and still is) and I was so proud of him.

Click here for the report
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Capt. BassinLou

He's hooked now for sure!! Great father and son moment. Thank you for sharing BK .

Florida Bass Fishing Reports , Dobyns Rods , Lockett Lures

Bassinkorea

Thanks Lou. He is already getting excited about the next trip.

ImUrNv

Awesome memories!

Couple questions since I have a 6 year old interested in catching fish, but the attention span isn't there yet.

Did you start him on the spinning rod, or a kids spincast first?  Is he able to cast by himself or are you doing it for him?

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Cuervo Jones

Wish my old man had taken me fishing! That's awesome!
Quit reading this and go fishing!

Mike Cork

That's pure awesomeness :toot:

Surely won't be the lat time he catches bigger bass than dad ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Steve, tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us.  Both of your kids seem to really enjoy being out on the water.  Glad you had the time to take him out.

Congrats to your son on the big fish of the trip also  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bassinkorea

Thanks a lot guys  ;D

Quote from: ImUrNv on April 06, 2020, 07:32:48 AM
Awesome memories!

Couple questions since I have a 6 year old interested in catching fish, but the attention span isn't there yet.

Did you start him on the spinning rod, or a kids spincast first?  Is he able to cast by himself or are you doing it for him?

I don't have any spincast tackle, so I just pumped him straight into the spinning rod. He is able to cast himself, and he even picked up the way to cast within an hour or so. However, he casting distance and accuracy is still way off (understandably), so I usually cast his bait to a good spot and hand it back to him.

We were out a few times last week and I tried him with a bobber with a wacky worm underneath. Just like your son, his attention span was short and he gave up after a very short time. Luckily for me, he loves reading books, so we always take a bunch of books and he either reads all day or he will play with all my discarded worms  lo

But as soon as he felt the pull of the 1st bass on this last trip he was hooked and kept fishing until his arm/hand needed a rest. He ended up catching 6 on a simple jighead and a 5" curly tail worm.

I have learned that you really need to give them a worm that catches dinks and to cast it into a well known spot that holds fish to get the percentage of catching something up there.

Hope this helps a little.

zippyduck

BK,
Excellent photos and advice in this post !  ~c~
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"