Old Keel Guard removal and replacement

Started by Bassinkorea, April 10, 2020, 02:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassinkorea

The keel guard I have on my boat now has been peeling off in one corner at the top ever since I bought my boat, but it's slowly getting worse. Although it doesn't affect the boat at all as it's above the water line, I still want to replace it.

Is there a way to remove the old one and all the glue/adhesive material easily?
I was thinking about using a heat gun and slowly warming it up and peeling off, but want to see what others here have done/used.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Mike Cork

The only one that I know of being removed, the guy didn't find time and let the lake take it.

I've been told that it's a real PITA to get it off and clean off all the other glue. If you're certain there isn't water getting between the hull and the Keel Guard I'd look at using a epoxy to seal up the spot that's coming loose.

You might try the Keel Shield website and see if they have an FAQ on this?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

I'd seriously consider finding an adhesive to inject into the area that's coming loose. I've used that double sided 3M commercial tape for projects at work. It's some amazing stuff and not neant to be removed. I'd think a heat gun used carefully would soften the 3M adhesive,  but it will be a mess. That said, Mike's suggestion is best. Contact the Keel Shield folks.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bassinkorea

I finally got around to repairing my Keel Guard. After a few emails from a couple of keel guard suppliers, I found out the brand of guard I have (Megaware keel guard ) and they gave me their recommend solution. Below is the video I made during the repair.
This repair video was recorded in June 2020, and as I post this video in August 2020, it is still holding up perfectly, no signs of delaminating so far.

Oldfart9999

Good job Steve!!! You sure have a fast left hand. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bassinkorea

Donald Garner

Great job tks for sharing the video with us.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard