Keel Protection for Aluminum Boat?

Started by Catawba_Mike, April 14, 2020, 09:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catawba_Mike

Hey folks, I hope everyone is doing well, and catching some spawners.

I just purchased my first aluminum boat a couple of months ago, a Lund Pro V Bass. I was wondering if anyone on here has thoughts about whether keel protection is necessary on aluminum hulls, and if so, recommendations on how to best protect the keel. I want to be able to beach the boat, but I am super cautious and more than a little OCD about keeping my rig in good condition.

I have heard of guys spraying the keel with Bedliner (Linex) for protection, but thought I might get some good input and ideas here. Thanks in advance.
Catawba Mike

Princeton_Man

Hey Mike,

You can put a KeelShield on an aluminum boat. I would contact them before ordering though, just in case there are any specifics you should know ahead of time.

https://www.gator-guards.com/blogs/featured-blogs/tips-install-keelshield-aluminum-boats
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Catawba_Mike

Thanks you for the reply. I just visited the KeelShield site, and they essentially have a picture of my keel on the front page as an example of the type of hull it won't fit. Oh well, I will look into the Linex option.
Catawba Mike

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Catawba_Mike on April 19, 2020, 10:52:09 AM
Thanks you for the reply. I just visited the KeelShield site, and they essentially have a picture of my keel on the front page as an example of the type of hull it won't fit. Oh well, I will look into the Linex option.

I had a Starcraft years ago with a keel like yours and used to beach it all the time. It actually wore a hole through the keel. It didn't really cause any harm since the hull is behind it and wasn't damaged. I just filled it with epoxy and sanded it smooth.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

If it's a riveted hull you might have a problem but I can't think one with a welded hull, you might want to call the customer service and check with them.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Donald Garner

Good luck getting what you want for your boat.  I've not seen any Aluminum Boats down my way with a Keel Shield.  What I have seen though is a few of them have that  Bedliner (Linex) on the hulls for protection. 

I'm sure if there was a good heavy coat applied it would work just as well.  At least it wouldn't be coming loose and peeling off the hull like a Keel Shield would.

Keep us updated on the out come.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard