Belton Lake 16 April 2020

Started by Donald Garner, April 16, 2020, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Greetings,

Carl Johnson and I made a morning trip over to Belton Lake today.  We caught a mix bag of Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass during this trip.  We boated (7) bass with our (4) largest going 9.36lbs.  We launched out of Rogers Park Landing and fished the West Bank of the river channel.

Carl with our (4) largest bass > (3) Largemouths (1) Smallmouth

Weather Conditions:
Blue Bird Skies with forecasted temps 40 - 73dgrs with 46% Humidity and 16mph winds from the SSE

Lake Conditions
Water is lightly stained you can see your bait maybe 10 inches down
Water temps was 64dgrs at the area we caught our fish

Area and Structure fish caught from
Rogers Park Area West Bank of the river channel
Buck brush with gravel and rock bank line
All our fish were caught on the windy bank from depths of 2ft - 10ft deep

Key points of the fish catching
The fish were set up in front of the bushes in the water between 2 - 10ft.  The bottom of the area was a mix of gravel; rock chucks and some submerged tree limbs lying on the bottom.  There were (3) coves we fished that had the SAME TYPE of Bank Line structure.  We didn't catch a fish out of any of those coves.  If the wind wasn't blowing against the bank the fish weren't there.

I caught my fish (Largemouth Bass) using a 3/8oz Double Colorado Firetiger Spinnerbait.  I was dragging it across the bottom of the structure using a slow retrieve just enough to feel the blades turning.  As long as I could feel the structure I got bit.  All of the Largemouth Bass had the spinnerbait deep in their mouths.

Our largest Smallmouth was caught on that 3/8oz Double Colorado Firetiger Spinnerbait also.  He was  hooked under his lower jaw in 10ft of water 3ft from the boat.

Carl's Largemouth was caught on a 1/4 oz Shaky Head rig.  His method of retrieve was to drag and hop the bait across the bottom.  The one's he caught on his spinnerbait rig was just a straight medium retrieve.

Tackle Setups and Baits
Carl's Setups
Spinnerbait setup> Rod >BPS Tourney Special Spinning Rod; Reel >Shimano Syncopate Spinning; Line > Berkley Big Game 15lb. Clear Mono; Lure: 3/8oz Willowleaf Chartreuse and White skirt model.

Shaky Head # 1> Rod > BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast tip Casting Rod; Reel > BPS Extreme Low Profile Bait Casting 6.4:1ratio; Line > Berkley Big Game 15lb. Clear Mono; Lure > Zoom 6in G-Tail Black & Blue plastic worm

My Spinnerbait Setup
Rod: BPS Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast tip casting rod; Reel: ABU Black Max low profile baitcasting reel 6.4:1 ratio; Line: Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test mono; Lure: Academy Wahoo 3/8oz Modified Double Colorado Bladed Firetiger Spinnerbait

Carl's Fishing Machine

2004 Stratos 275 Pro XL w/ 115 Johnson; MinnKota 80lb Spot Lock Trolling Motor; Humminbird Electronics on bow and console

To learn more about Belton Lake here in Central Texas just click on the link below.

Belton Lake
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Good day to be out, congrats on the catching!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.