What do you use for a Spinnerbait Rod?

Started by Deadeye, April 20, 2020, 07:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye

I have a 7' Rod that is actually rated as a Spinnerbait-Worm Rod. The Line sizing saya 10-20 (MH Range) and Medium Fast Tip.

It is great for the feel, meaning I can feel every turn of the Blades and everything that it touches.

But it is VERY HARD to get a good Hook-Set with a Spinnerbait.

I loose an average of 2-3 for everyone landed. It just seems like the end is to wispy and doesn't have enough backbone to get the hook in. I took the Floro off and put on 50 lb Braid and it's some better but still loose way to many.

With Bigger Fish it does better, with those 1-2 lbers it's a toss up.

Or could it be the Brand of Spinnerbaits? Lately I've been using the BPS Brand and the Bass seem to like them, the hooks feel sharp enough to stick in my hand, so kind of doubt that's it but who knows?

So I'm looking for suggestions of what you guys use.

Capt. BassinLou

I use a Dobyns Champion 734 for Spinnerbaits. Cheaper alternatives will be the Dobyns Fury 734 or Sierra 734.

Florida Bass Fishing Reports , Dobyns Rods , Lockett Lures

fishballer06

I use a Dobyns Champion 734 and a Dobyns Extreme 704 for most of my 3/8 - 5/8oz spinnerbaits. If I get up into 3/4 - 1oz range, I'll use my Shimano Expride 7'2" H.

Some guys like a moderate or a moderate fast action for spinnerbaits since they are a moving bait, but I still prefer a fast action for them because it's a single hook bait and I want to know I can drive that hook quickly into the bony parts of a fishes mouth if/when they bite. I also fish them around weeds a good bit, so the fast action is nice if I need to rip them free of a weed.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

zippyduck

I use a Dobyns Sierra 734. It has a fast action but just a little slower than most fast action rods. Never had a problem hooking fish. I've caught largemouth, smallmouth, pike, and musky on it.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

Witch Doctor Surman 50G. There just isn't any moving bait it doesn't fish well.

Donald Garner

I use a Bass Pro Shop Extreme 7ft (MH) Fast Tip casting rod for spinnerbait fishing.   I like using Academy Wahoo Brand Spinnerbaits.  I've had good success with them and have lost very few fish.  The line I use for spinnerbait fishing is Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb mono.

BPS doesn't carry the Extreme Rod anymore.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

apenland01

I'm using a Powell Inferno 704 MHXF.  I was going to use it for my fluke rod, but I didn't like it for that.  I really like it for spinnerbaits.

Deadeye

The guys with the Dobyns comments.

I have no idea what they mean.  A 734 vs a whatever number means nothing to someone that does not use or understand Dobyns Speak.

So, what is the Rating and Action of these rods?

It seems like a MH with at Fast to Medium Fast Tip is the average answer, which is basically what my rod is.

I'm wondering if it is something with the BPS Spinnerbaits hook. For one thing they are not a very deep hook opening. Add a trailer and you got even less.

Don I really like Academy's H2O Cranks, I'll give their Spinnerbaits a try.

Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippyduck

Fred,

The 734 in all Dobyns series is called a heavy action casting rod with a fast action. Many of us consider it closer to MH power.
The numbers are 7'3" 4 power.

It is no where near a moderate action. Many use this model for jigs and t-rigs also. And I have caught quite a few on jigs with it also but mainly use it for spinnerbaits, swimjigs, and Keitech type swimbaits. It has lots of hook setting power.

earldogg

Use a St Croix Ltbc70mhf, a reel between 22-28ipt, 17 Lb mono and have never lost one. Gl

Deadeye

Quote from: zippyduck on April 20, 2020, 06:00:30 PM
Fred,

The 734 in all Dobyns series is called a heavy action casting rod with a fast action. Many of us consider it closer to MH power.
The numbers are 7'3" 4 power.

It is no where near a moderate action. Many use this model for jigs and t-rigs also. And I have caught quite a few on jigs with it also but mainly use it for spinnerbaits, swimjigs, and Keitech type swimbaits. It has lots of hook setting power.

Thanks Zip, makes it a little easier to understand.

Oldfart9999

BPS Crankin Sticks, a 6'6" and a 7 footer. Pro Qualifier reels in a medium retrieve speed. 20 lb braid, the rods have enough give to make it a perfect outfit, the braid also cuts grass better than anything else.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Dink Dawg

Dobyns Champion 734C and the Champion 736CB Glass when fishing large willows in open water for smallies.  The 734C makes a heck of a swim jig rod too.

FlatsNBay

Quote from: apenland01 on April 20, 2020, 05:40:24 PM
I'm using a Powell Inferno 704 MHXF.  I was going to use it for my fluke rod, but I didn't like it for that.  I really like it for spinnerbaits.
What Apen said. I use a Powell 704 for Spinnerbaits with 15 lb F/C. What that means is a 7'0 rod with a (4) medium heavy power. I will also use the 7-3 in the same power at times but prefer the shorter rod for shorter roll casts.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Deadeye

Since what everyone is saying they are using, MH with medium fast to very fast tip, is basically what I am using I'm going to try some different brands of Spinnerbaits and see if it makes a difference.

I chose to start the search with the SK Pro series. Comes with a longer skirt and a Trailer Hook already installed.

Pros that I see are:

Longer Skirt should eliminate the need for a trailer, thus leaving more Hook for Hooking.

Trailer Hook already built in, good for those short strikes.

Hooks are SHARP, much sharper than the BPS ones I was using.

Hooks are much bigger than the BPS ones.

Cons:

Can't change out Trailers for a color or action change. Might be able to use the Zoom Chunk Trailers but then your loosing Hook Size again.

I'm going to give them a try and see how it goes. Price wise at Academy they were about the same range as Booyah and other Name Brands that didn't come with Trailer Hooks already.

zippyduck

I never use a trailer on spinnerbaits. I am usually throwing them in grass or slow rolling around wood and have found no need for a trailer.

Princeton_Man

I'm using a Dobyns Sierra 734 and a Dobyns Savvy 734. I usually use a split tail grub trailer.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club