Old Hickory Lake April 20, 2020

Started by TNDiver, April 20, 2020, 04:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

Went out today from about 11-2 with my two kids.  Not the best time, but was more wanting to try out a new area and my new Garmin Echomap Plus 93sv fish finder.  Realized I installed it way below the water line, using the instructions.    ~b~.  Have tons of questions about what I was viewing  ~roflmao

Lake is 60 degrees up in Drake's Creek.  It started out about 60 degrees outside and needed up around 70.  Winds were light, around 6-7 MPH.   I went today because tomorrow is supposed to be up to 12-15 MPH and it can get a little choppy on the main channel.  I tried some spots based on a contour map I found and found they were a little different than I imagined.   I just put a white/chartreuse spinner bait and chatter bait on my kids poles.  I used a spinner bait and Nutech Elite swimjig.  Didn't catch anything but didn't expect to.  Too many distractions with the kids having problems, still learning to use the trolling motor, etc.   It was great to get out of the house.  Did see the Rock Castle house from the water.  It was finished in 1796 and is one of the older homes in TN. 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Mike Cork

Just getting out is awesome. I'm with you, when I take the boys it's more about being out than catching anything. However they are practicing in the yard and getting better...

Keep at the trolling motor, you'll get it figured out.

With water temps like that, you should be able to start catching a few soon. On a day where there aren't as many distractions and you can concentrate, you're looking at spawning water temps so spend time working slow moving baits close to spawning grounds. Shakey head soft plastics and even top water if the wind isn't too bad.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

The wind wasn't bad, but it could gust and hit some spots.  A couple spots I wanted to hit already had boats on it, so that tells me there are bass there.  Also found out my daughters reel was not working (need to return it to BPS) so I had to swap it out with an old Johnson Crappie Pro reel from my youth!  I need to get them practicing on a bait caster.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Mike Cork

I think you'll be surprised at how fast they will pick up the baitcasters. With today's reels and the extra controls to prevent backlashes, I've seen many times where very young anglers are casting in just a few minutes. :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service