Dobyns Champion XP vs St Croix Legend Tournament

Started by FISHMD, April 30, 2020, 08:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FISHMD

I'm considering between these rods for a jigging/texas rig rod fishing from a kayak. Looking for feedback on comparing these rods to one another. Thx

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FISHMD on April 30, 2020, 08:25:45 AM
I'm considering between these rods for a jigging/texas rig rod fishing from a kayak. Looking for feedback on comparing these rods to one another. Thx

Years ago, before I switched over to Dobyns, I was a St. Croix guy. St Croix Premier's, Avids, and LTB's. I still own these rods BTW... they are very good rods. I switched over to Dobyns rods because they balance better for my tastes and the reel grip compliment my grip better as well.  Please come back and let us know which brand you chose to fish with. 

FISHMD

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 30, 2020, 08:35:40 AM

Years ago, before I switched over to Dobyns, I was a St. Croix guy. St Croix Premier's, Avids, and LTB's. I still own these rods BTW... they are very good rods. I switched over to Dobyns rods because they balance better for my tastes and the reel grip compliment my grip better as well.  Please come back and let us know which brand you chose to fish with.

Thanks for the feedback. So far from all forums I've gathered the St Croix LTB seem to get higher marks on build quality and durability and the Dobyns XP on balance, weight and sensitivity.

zippyduck

My partner is a St. Croix man and I'm all Dobyns. The build quality is very close but the balance goes to Dobyns in all of their rods. Sensitivity changes in both brands with which rod you are using.

The Champ XP 744c is about the best jig rod I've ever used other than the Xtasy 755c. I've tried my partners St. Croix jig rod and it doesn't feel right and I have trouble feeling the bottom content. But he loves it and catches lots of fish with it.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

loomisguy

I'm a fan of the LTB. The 7ft 1 MHF is a great jig /plastics rod . The build quality of SC is hard to beat, maybe by Megabass.
I've got the jig rod and topwater rod in my boat now and they both balance on the reel nut with a Curado E and a Curado 70 respectivly.

Oldfart9999

The only way to tell which is best is for you to try each and use what you think fits your needs best. The St,Croix is made here, blank and all, that's all I'll say.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FISHMD

Quote from: Bassinlou on April 30, 2020, 08:35:40 AM

This was a difficult choice since my favorite rod right now is a Dobyns Fury 705cb although I have caught more fish on my St Croix mojo bass MJS71MF. I went with the LTB because my fishing buddy who is a pro highly recommended it. Haven't recieved it yet so I can't give any feedback. Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FISHMD on May 02, 2020, 04:33:56 PM
This was a difficult choice since my favorite rod right now is a Dobyns Fury 705cb although I have caught more fish on my St Croix mojo bass MJS71MF. I went with the LTB because my fishing buddy who is a pro highly recommended it. Haven't recieved it yet so I can't give any feedback. Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Best of luck to you, hope the new rod serves you well. Remember to come back and give us that feed back.  ~beer~

caddyjoe77

personally, i have had many dobyns rods, and have a few of the St. Croix LTB.  The LTB I have is the 6'9 Worm and Jig and the Carolina as well as some of their spinning rods. 

I personally think the build quality, (specifically the finish -- other things being pretty much equal) is a little better on the St. Croix and the feel is a little better on the LTB.  Nothing wrong with the Dobyns and the little experience I have with the 744 it is a great rod but i like the LTB a little better. 

Most of my reels are Daiwa and for some reason they seem to balance better -- but again that is my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.  I think the best thing you can do is appease the bait monkey and sell the one you dont like :D
BeerMe

FISHMD

St Croix is back-ordered so my LTB order was canceled. This gives me more time to make a decision and I am throwing the Dobyn's Kaden into the mix. Any reviews on the Kadin compared to the Champion XP would be appreciated.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FISHMD on May 15, 2020, 03:15:10 PM
St Croix is back-ordered so my LTB order was canceled. This gives me more time to make a decision and I am throwing the Dobyn's Kaden into the mix. Any reviews on the Kadin compared to the Champion XP would be appreciated.

Only a certain number of Kadens were released for testing purposes, and they were all sold. Their re-release is TBD. I say get a the CH XP and have a blast!!

FISHMD

My impatience plus an accepted bid on Ebay led me to pull the trigger on a Dobyns Champion XP 704c. It's been shipped. Thx for all the input everyone.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FISHMD on May 16, 2020, 06:40:13 PM
My impatience plus an accepted bid on Ebay led me to pull the trigger on a Dobyns Champion XP 704c. It's been shipped. Thx for all the input everyone.
Cool. Congrats!! Come back and let us know how you like it when you fish with it a bit.

zippyduck

You will love that rod. A very versatile rod and a very good t-rig and small jig rod.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

FISHMD

Quote from: zippyduck on May 16, 2020, 08:30:12 PM
You will love that rod. A very versatile rod and a very good t-rig and small jig rod.

I just received it and am really impressed by how light it is. I am going to need something for heavy jigs...Suggestions?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FISHMD on May 24, 2020, 04:18:08 PM
I just received it and am really impressed by how light it is. I am going to need something for heavy jigs...Suggestions?
How heavy are the jigs?

FISHMD

Quote from: Bassinlou on May 02, 2020, 05:56:34 PM
Best of luck to you, hope the new rod serves you well. Remember to come back and give us that feed back.  ~beer~

Dobyns DC 704 C feedback.. This rod does everything I needed. It's light, sensitive, well balanced and I feel it helps me catch fish. I really do like the Dobyns rods.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FISHMD on June 01, 2020, 06:54:26 AM
Dobyns DC 704 C feedback.. This rod does everything I needed. It's light, sensitive, well balanced and I feel it helps me catch fish. I really do like the Dobyns rods.
... appreciate the feedback. Enjoy your new Dobyns.

FISHMD

I promised to give a follow up. I've been very happy with my choice of Dobyns Champion XP. I was fishing with an accomplished fisherman who was explaining how his St Croix Lengend extreme was the key to his success due to it's sensitivity. I handed him my Dobyns Champion XP to tryout and he was absolutely amazed at the sensitivity.  I have since sold my Mojo Bass and picked up  Dobyns Sierra mainly because I like the feel and balance of their rods better.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FISHMD on October 23, 2020, 08:32:09 PM
I promised to give a follow up. I've been very happy with my choice of Dobyns Champion XP. I was fishing with an accomplished fisherman who was explaining how his St Croix Lengend extreme was the key to his success due to it's sensitivity. I handed him my Dobyns Champion XP to tryout and he was absolutely amazed at the sensitivity.  I have since sold my Mojo Bass and picked up  Dobyns Sierra mainly because I like the feel and balance of their rods better.
...appreciate the follow up.