Trailer Steps: The build

Started by Pipepro, February 19, 2020, 03:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipepro

Quote from: Deadeye on February 24, 2020, 04:45:16 AM
Since your designing it to fit your Personal Needs, might as well add a Hand Rail onto it as well.

Grip Tape is good, but Wet Paint is SLICK. Having something to hold on to might just save your Azz one day and eliminate a trip to the ER.

(hey we're all getting older and Bumps on the Back and Head are a Big Deal to us now)
For sure. I picked up some round for a handrail/grab bar. Doing some mock ups to see where it fits best and will clear the garage door.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

Pipepro

Almost finished. All I need to do now is pull some wire and connect the step lights to my trailer LED's.

I'm not sure how I feel about the tape. Time will tell.  I have to see how it fits with the truck hooked up still, I may have to slide it back further on the frame.

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bassinkorea

Looks really professional. Well done!!
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Donald Garner

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Captsteve

Great job

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Oldfart9999

And that's why you're a pro!!! Nice job!!!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pipepro

Thanks everyone!

With the weather breaking, so are the construction jobs. I start a new job tomorrow so my 2 months of relaxing and puttering around on the boat are over. Back to the ol grind for me. If I can find some time this weekend ill try and get it wired up and some better pics too.

Bassinkorea

I hope you are not going to be too busy working to where you can't get out and use the boat & new steps and catch a few  ~fff ~fff

Pipepro

That's usually how it goes. Laid off sometime in the Winter, work overtime all summer. I'll try and get out but the lakes here get crazy on the weekends.

Pipepro

Welp, everyone knows that the Covid -19 has hamstrung most of the country. We got laid off at the end of March and have  been  at the mercy of a tyrannical Governor since. She loosened the restriction on fishing from a boat with a motor so me and the wife got out today. Steps worked great and I even caught a Bass! I just enjoyed being out in the fresh air and had a chance to forget about things for a while. I'll try and get some pics of the LED's soon.

Lipripper

Thanks for the  ;PHO) and them steps look and work great. Glad you were able to get out and catch a fish alao. ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Another Great Project completed  ~shade  The steps look great and tks again for sharing the project and pictures with us  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Princeton_Man

Sorry to hear of your layoff. You could always go into business selling custom built trailer steps.  :-*
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Captsteve

Quote from: Princeton_Man on April 28, 2020, 08:18:13 PM
Sorry to hear of your layoff. You could always go into business selling custom built trailer steps.  :-*
I second that

Any day fishing, is a good day.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Pipepro

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. The layoffs are part of being a Union Pipefitter. Layoffs come when the jobs are done or when I am done with the contractor. Now to figure out what my next fab project should be. Im redoing the spare bathroom right now, but soon Ill need to work with some metal instead of drywall and tile.

Oldfart9999

Those steps look great!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ Time to get into stainless welding, I have a friend who was stainless certified stainless pipe, the rest of the chapter could be out of work but he had work and overtime.
Rodney

Pipepro

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 29, 2020, 07:41:07 AM
Those steps look great!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ Time to get into stainless welding, I have a friend who was stainless certified stainless pipe, the rest of the chapter could be out of work but he had work and overtime.
Rodney

Thanks Rodney!

Yes,  having a bunch of certifications helps. Not to toot my horn too much but I have been welding for more than 30 years, Been certified in Carbon, Stainless, and Aluminum. I have been an AWS welding inspector for 20 years, and been teaching part time at the Community College level for another 18 years.

There is always work somewhere for a welder, and I have traveled occasionally to find work. Now that I am older I view the layoffs as more of a decompress time instead of a punishment. I tell all the young apprentices to save their money, and to plan on working 8 or 10 months a year.  That way they wont be surprised when work slows down. Traveling for work sounds fun but living in hotels, or couch hopping to save some $$ isnt as glamours as it seems.

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bassinkorea

Glad to see those steps in use and that they work well  ~c~

Good job on the catch as well   ~c~ ~c~

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Pipepro on April 29, 2020, 10:25:51 AM
Thanks Rodney!

Yes,  having a bunch of certifications helps. Not to toot my horn too much but I have been welding for more than 30 years, Been certified in Carbon, Stainless, and Aluminum. I have been an AWS welding inspector for 20 years, and been teaching part time at the Community College level for another 18 years.

There is always work somewhere for a welder, and I have traveled occasionally to find work. Now that I am older I view the layoffs as more of a decompress time instead of a punishment. I tell all the young apprentices to save their money, and to plan on working 8 or 10 months a year.  That way they wont be surprised when work slows down. Traveling for work sounds fun but living in hotels, or couch hopping to save some $$ isnt as glamours as it seems.
You're right, upsides and downsides to everything, have to pick your poison. Those steps really look great and show a lot of thought and engineering. You're as skilled as any of the pros I met working for the welding supply company and I met a lot and saw a lot of work.
Rodney