Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
Nines Optics

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 13 Fishing Concept Z  (Read 1094 times)

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
13 Fishing Concept Z
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »

I got this reel about 4 weeks ago. There was a sale at a vendor for a price that I could not refuse to get my hands on one.

First impressions of the reel just turning the handle...its very smooth. You have this different feel in this reel, and it is due to the bushings being in there instead of the bearings.

Paint, crazy color. Like a hot orange with pearl flakes. It's not a perfect paint job all over, but its mostly in the weird areas that there is a noticeable quality miss. It's ok, you cant really see it unless you are looking.

Casting this reel is not that bad. You would think that it wouldnt be as good as it is due to the bushings, but no. This reel spooled with 40lb braid does just fine casting soft plastic swim baits. Retrieving the reel with a bait on is quite connected feeling. Again, due to the bushings I believe.

So, after having it on the water for one outing, I decided to swap out the bushings for bearings. I have a few sets of stock Doyo bearings, so I decided to swap them in and try it out. Gonna do the same thing with the swim bait use. I'll get a few casts in the backyard today.

The only thing about swapping the bushings out, is that they dont take to it too well. The one in the side plate was stuck, and had to be pried out. So, it cant be re used.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WTodd

• Charter Member
Re: 13 Fishing Concept Z
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »

Better not fish with that reel in clear water because itíll scare the fish away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:55:21 AM »

The concept reels are popular around here thanks to a huge Academy Liquidation sale.

Reels that are about a year old start having the same worm gear and ARB issues. Worm gear and pawls are cheap through the company but ARB's are off the charts and specific to the reel.

To take a bunch of Louisiana mud and swamp anglers as a census on the durability of the 13 fishing reels, we are hard on stuff.

I can say this, everyone that has brought me one to fix, loves the reel and doesn't care what it costs, they want it fixed.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

hydrillagorillahunter

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:18:21 AM »

Better not fish with that reel in clear water because itíll scare the fish away

lol...well he should be good in the spring time, hell they might jump out of the water for it.

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »

I have one itís ok . Doesnít handle big fish through grass to well Iíll tell you that I know they say it has 22lb drag but handle doesnít turn so hot . Idk itís good if u get it on sale for like 120-150$ itís worth that but not a $200 reel in my opinion . $200 your getting into Tatula or curado territory and an elite or k will throw this thing across the lake. Plus concept. Z doesnít have centrifugal brake pins. Just a dial . Idk itís a good reel I donít see the hype though . I bought it because everyone was talking about casting distance but I think those who were never threw a higher end reel .

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 06:59:57 AM »

Got a Trick Shop kit for the Z. I will tell you the spool woke this bad boy up. Casting weightless swim baits was a dream with it. I'm liking this reel, and I have a total of $130 invested into it.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:09:04 AM »

I have one itís ok . Doesnít handle big fish through grass to well Iíll tell you that I know they say it has 22lb drag but handle doesnít turn so hot . Idk itís good if u get it on sale for like 120-150$ itís worth that but not a $200 reel in my opinion . $200 your getting into Tatula or curado territory and an elite or k will throw this thing across the lake. Plus concept. Z doesnít have centrifugal brake pins. Just a dial . Idk itís a good reel I donít see the hype though . I bought it because everyone was talking about casting distance but I think those who were never threw a higher end reel .

Higher end reel doesnt always = better casting distance. I bet you I can take a $70 reel and make it out cast some of the best in the $300-$500 range for under $100 total.  Ask me how I know  ;)

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 08:23:35 AM »

Yea there are definitely some bangers out there for under $150 just donít think the z is one of them I have one itís ok just saying there are better options for what this thing goes for I have a revo sx that will out throw this thing on any weight . I think the biggest drawback of this is not having centrifugal brake pins. Only the dial every baitcasting that I know of has magnetic brakes but if I take all centrifugal brake pins of a separate reel ( providing you can throw it like that ) you will bomb any reel far

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 08:36:33 AM »

Cmon you canít say the smoothness of this reel is great 5/10 at best . The boasted of 22lb drag (which doesnít kick in until the last turn of the drag wheel where it seems to go from 4lbs to 22lbs in like 8 clicks ) is I think overrated when are you going to use that? If your targeting bigger fish thatís low and for bass itís high. Just donít think this reel adds up to $200 the msrp if you get it on sale thatís cool I have mine on a 7í3Ē heavy ultra fast for top water
But even there it doesnt excel I have a revo rocket on a heavy stick for buzzbaits I use 10x more
Serious 90% of those you tubers who were raving about this reel were sponsored you wonít see too many serious anglers boasting this reel . If this is your flagship reel I donít mean to sound condescending honestly it is a good reel but when people start putting it up there with the heavy hitters it doesnít compare.

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 08:37:45 AM »

Also note the condition of it lol compared to the revo I just donít use it much itís 2x as likely to birds nest on me after a hook set as any other reel I own .

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 08:38:26 AM »

Yea there are definitely some bangers out there for under $150 just donít think the z is one of them I have one itís ok just saying there are better options for what this thing goes for I have a revo sx that will out throw this thing on any weight . I think the biggest drawback of this is not having centrifugal brake pins. Only the dial every baitcasting that I know of has magnetic brakes but if I take all centrifugal brake pins of a separate reel ( providing you can throw it like that ) you will bomb any reel far

I dont know if you realize the Z has centrifugal brakes, the pins are internal in the dial, as you set the dial numbers, it adjusts to how many pins are released to hit the drum.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »

Cmon you canít say the smoothness of this reel is great 5/10 at best . The boasted of 22lb drag (which doesnít kick in until the last turn of the drag wheel where it seems to go from 4lbs to 22lbs in like 8 clicks ) is I think overrated when are you going to use that? If your targeting bigger fish thatís low and for bass itís high. Just donít think this reel adds up to $200 the msrp if you get it on sale thatís cool I have mine on a 7í3Ē heavy ultra fast for top water
But even there it doesnt excel I have a revo rocket on a heavy stick for buzzbaits I use 10x more
Serious 90% of those you tubers who were raving about this reel were sponsored you wonít see too many serious anglers boasting this reel . If this is your flagship reel I donít mean to sound condescending honestly it is a good reel but when people start putting it up there with the heavy hitters it doesnít compare.

Poke around at my threads on reels I have started. You will see Im not your average bear.  ;) I have a little knowledge of reels. This reel was intended for salty anglers for corrosion purposes. Now, get rid of the stock spool, the CZ bushings, and its a different animal. Trust me. And most of the time people bitch about casting performance, they are using the wrong rod/line combination to throw the intended bait. Would I have paid $200 for the reel, absolutely not. Then again, do I think the Shimanos and Daiwas in the under $200 category are worth a damn anymore? Thats a no as well. But thats just me, and my 25 years of playing with reels.

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 09:12:03 AM »

Not criticizing your knowledge at all brotha no disrespect intended . I wasnít saying they donít have centrifugal brakes just not the setting pins . If that dial is indeed the centrifugal brake then the concept z doesnít have magnetic brakes there is only one dial one way to customize your brake settings . On almost every other reel u have the magnetic brake dial then the centrifugal brake pins . Just saying there is a much greater variance in customization. Iíve never customized a reel with aftermarket parts so I canít speak of how it is without stock parts . Donít you think 22lbs of drag is low for saltwater usage ? It just kind of limits the fish you can comfortably target . I feel comfortable regardless of what Iím going for with 35-45lb drag systems I think the concept z tx has that Iím not sure just saying itís an oddball reel

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 09:33:19 AM »

Not criticizing your knowledge at all brotha no disrespect intended . I wasnít saying they donít have centrifugal brakes just not the setting pins . If that dial is indeed the centrifugal brake then the concept z doesnít have magnetic brakes there is only one dial one way to customize your brake settings . On almost every other reel u have the magnetic brake dial then the centrifugal brake pins . Just saying there is a much greater variance in customization. Iíve never customized a reel with aftermarket parts so I canít speak of how it is without stock parts . Donít you think 22lbs of drag is low for saltwater usage ? It just kind of limits the fish you can comfortably target . I feel comfortable regardless of what Iím going for with 35-45lb drag systems I think the concept z tx has that Iím not sure just saying itís an oddball reel

The brakes you are referring to is a dual braking system found on the Doyo reels (which is who makes your beloved Abu reels). Cent and Mag ability, and yes, I really like that style as well. One of my best casting reels, and one of my favorites is the BPS JM Signature reel. Has the dual braking system, and a full aluminum construction. 22lbs of drag is a lot of drag for a LP baitcaster, and just fine for snook and inshore salty guys. Plus, its not always the lb rating, as much as the smoothness that it operates. Just think, if you need more drag per say, you have that thumb of yours to add to the equation.

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 09:46:16 AM »

We must have different reels lol the concept z is smooth? cmon if you have 25 years reel experience you mean to say that the drag system on the z is good? Thereís no drag in the first 40clicks then it goes from 3-4lbs to 22lbs in the final few clicks at least admit that and yes 22lb is phenomenal for a low pro reel and plenty for snook striper even skates just needs to be a shore rod but even there donít you have better options ? Per say a 3000-5000 spinning reel take the penn battle 2 for instance 1/2 the price (if Z is bought at 200$ ) and an absolute tank . Iíll rip a 40Ē striper through the water no problem not even looking back. I actually had issues with the z with a 5 lb bass through pads no joke reel was winding hard to turn everything it was just blah . Look at the braid on the pick I put up how sloppy it looked I think that is still from the nest of all nest I got casting the reel after that. I had to unspool almost the entire thing. I like bps reels they handle well and I think are very well priced .

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »

We must have different reels lol the concept z is smooth? cmon if you have 25 years reel experience you mean to say that the drag system on the z is good? Thereís no drag in the first 40clicks then it goes from 3-4lbs to 22lbs in the final few clicks at least admit that and yes 22lb is phenomenal for a low pro reel and plenty for snook striper even skates just needs to be a shore rod but even there donít you have better options ? Per say a 3000-5000 spinning reel take the penn battle 2 for instance 1/2 the price (if Z is bought at 200$ ) and an absolute tank . Iíll rip a 40Ē striper through the water no problem not even looking back. I actually had issues with the z with a 5 lb bass through pads no joke reel was winding hard to turn everything it was just blah . Look at the braid on the pick I put up how sloppy it looked I think that is still from the nest of all nest I got casting the reel after that. I had to unspool almost the entire thing. I like bps reels they handle well and I think are very well priced .

My Z is really smooth, for a Banax reel. And the drag is carbon, and I have no issues in the way it pulls. Now, if you are comparing to say a Shimano with MM gears, well the MM gears are smoother, but, they dont stay that way very long IMO. Disappointing actually. I see your setup, and it brings me to the rod/line choice for topwater baits. Im guessing its a 50lb braid you got on there? and a H XF rod? For topwater???

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »

Of course man braid floats and heavy rod for frogging setting hooks a no brainer brotha

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 10:04:23 AM »

Of course man braid floats and heavy rod for frogging setting hooks a no brainer brotha

If anything my rod is short for the purpose lol

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »

Thats not a frog you have tied on there.  ~shade

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 10:07:29 AM »

If anything my rod is short for the purpose lol

Length of the rod is relative to the user. There is no "set standard". I can frog with a 6'8 rod, no is no rule that says you cant. Remember, braid has no stretch, so if you know how to set the hook properly...

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 10:18:36 AM »

Noticeable difference in fish lost to a heavy/mag heavy upgrade from medium

bro_drey

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »

You did make a valid point no real set standards on any angler whatever suits you best

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »

Noticeable difference in fish lost to a heavy/mag heavy upgrade from medium

For frogs yes...but do you throw top water poppers and treble hook baits on the same rig as you do a hollow body frog?

FD

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 03:13:24 AM »

And most of the time people bitch about casting performance, they are using the wrong rod/line combination to throw the intended bait.

Bingo!

This is what causes most casting issues and 90% of the bitching anglers have no clue of its importance.
TR 20X2 - Merc 250 Pro XS - Humminbird      Ford F-450 4X4
               Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   CPF Lures Pro Staff

FishaHallic

• Smallmouth
  • Clearwater Florida
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 05:49:19 PM »

I think the Concept Z is a great reel.  I don't have any issues with it and it cast fine, seems pretty smooth to.  Now I don't own any real high end reels but I use this reel, curado 70 and diawa tatula sv-tws.  I think I paid $105 for the reel (in that area anyway) and would buy it again if needed.
l
BTW, my frog rod is a 6'6" mh Falcon Bucoo (original model) and I love it and would not change it.
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec

9lbs 15oz PB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 23 queries.