Modified Kaden Kayak Rod 711SF is now a 691SF

Started by RocBass, May 07, 2020, 07:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocBass

I cut off the back end of my 711SF Kaden and used it yesterday.  It worked beautifully. 

I cut off the back 3" and put a golf grip end on the butt end.  Inside the blank, I put a small bolt that I wrapped once with electrical tape so it would hold inside the end and maintain the balance.  I weighed the bolt to make sure it matched the weight of the cork butt section I removed.

When I have more time, I will replace the golf grip end with some cork, or a winn grip end, as the golf grip is somewhat rough since it is one of those with cord imbedded in it for gripping.

I will attach a picture of a bass I caught yesterday using this rig.  If I had to design a kayak rod, this set up would be pretty close.  I would maybe move the reel seat up 1.5" and add 1.5" to the 3" butt section that I removed, still ending up with a 6'9" rod.  I like to try new things and modify things to see what works best for my purposes.

Hope I can help in any way to provide advice and talk to the Dobyns folks if they ever decide to offer a Kayak series.

I am attaching a pic of the rod with a bass in the next post.

RocBass

Here's a pic of the bass with the rod so you can see the modification that I made.

Smallie_Stalker

Nice fish!

I'm bummed I didn't get in on the Kadens for review but I don't know if I would have had the heart to cut one down if I did.

One thing I WILL say about anglers - we live the motto that necessity is the mother of invention.

Thanks for sharing the pic with us.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

apiazza

St. Croix has the Mojo Yak line which is a short handled rod. Would be an option for you if you don't want to modify your rods. Personally I like my normal handles in the kayak. Currently my longest handled rod is my Lews Mach II and it has been most heavily used rod recently just because of presentation.

RocBass

Nice fish!
Thanks, the weather here in upstate NY has been unusually cold, I think the water temp was around 51F yesterday and the air temp was about the same.  Last year I was averaging about 15 fish per trip in the first week of May, this year I'm averaging 4 fish.  Things should get better when it warms up.

I'm bummed I didn't get in on the Kadens for review but I don't know if I would have had the heart to cut one down if I did.
I have a 692SF and 693SF Sierra.  The 692 is my favorite for finesse fishing; I caught close to 400 bass on that rod last year and love it.  I bought the 700SF and the 711SF Kaden to try.   Once I started cutting the 711 down there was no turning back.  I think I will take the hook keeper off and extend cork from the bottom all the way up to the cork on the reel seat section.  My 691 Kaden really whips a 1/16 oz. finesse jig with elaztec plastic on it a mile and I love the way it handled that bass.  I usually fish inside the weed lines or outside the weed lines with finesse jigs.  When fishing outside the weed lines, being able to cast a long way into open water helps immensely.

St. Croix has the Mojo Yak line which is a short handled rod.
Yes, I'm aware of these, however, I think SC missed the boat with their design of these rods.  They should have shot for a 6'8" or 6'9" length with a shorter handle rather than the 7' and longer length with a handle that is not that much shorter than the handle on the standard Mojo spinning rods.  I have regular Mojo Bass 6'8" MXF which I love everything about from the reel seat forward; however, I'm not fond of the threaded section of the reel seat being behind the reel seat handle.  The Dobyns reel seat set up with the tightener in front of the reel handle is so much better.

I may be crazy, but I like to try to make things better.  hopefully if Dobyns makes a kayak rod they will ask me for some input.  I think I can help as I spend at least 180 hours a year fishing from my kayak.

apiazza

If you like it, have at it. We all have our preferences. I've never fished the mojo yak rods. Handled them a couple times, but like a said, I just prefer full length handles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk