Rod and Reel Pairing

Started by Bud Kennedy, May 07, 2020, 03:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Never really considered some reels just don't marry up real well to some rods.  While usually this is not an issue, I did run into a problem quite a while back.

During my Lews reel phase I put a BB-1 on my short Lee Smith Custom and it was just a nightmare.  It seemed no mater what I did the casts were fairly short and the amount of backlash action was constant.  Worked hard setting up the reel but alas nothing worked so I started looking at the rod.  It seems the line angle from the Lews to the first guide was quite steep.  Does this mean the guide was too close and should I send it back to Lee to be reworked.

About that time I decided to retire my Lews casting reels and went with all Daiwa SVTW103 with multiple gear choices.  This change immediately improved the performance of the Lee Smith Rod.  I did notice the TAT sits a little lower on the rod and the line angle to the first guide was not as severe.  The noise from the braid was mostly eliminated and the casts were all smooth and with good distance and control.  Best of all no more backlash action.  In fact the SVTWs seem to have eliminated this problem on all of my combos so I credit the reel change to a backlash free environment.

Likely there was some contention with the line angle and how it sits in the reel seat, and leads me to be more mindful of this issue when looking at other rods, especially those with small micro guides. FYI no changes were required to the Lee Smith Custom and in fact is my usual go to rod. Both of my Lee Smith customs also have Spiral wrap guides.

SHC286

I had this exact thing happen to me just recently. Got a new Falcon low rider for my Ambassadeur, figured it's my favorite reel so it deserves a nice rod. I had the exact same problems you did. I noticed the same thing, steep angle from reel to first guide. So I swapped reels around, put the Ambassadeur on a Lightning Rod and a Revo on the Falcon. All is well now, except I still want to get my favorite reel on a nicer rod. I'll be looking for one with either a taller first guide or one that's further away.

caddyjoe77

That is a valid point Bud. 

To me, you just have to work with the combo's you have.  Every rod is different, with different balance points and reels having different weights.  Sounds like that is what you did with the LSCR.  And, good catch on where the eye is in relation to the first eye on the rod. 

BeerMe

SteveTX

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on May 08, 2020, 08:57:52 AM
To me, you just have to work with the combo's you have.  Every rod is different, with different balance points and reels having different weights.  Sounds like that is what you did with the LSCR.  And, good catch on where the eye is in relation to the first eye on the rod.
I agree that you have to work with what you have. I haven't had a issue as Bud or SHC286 described with my junk. But I have a bunch of different oddball rods and reels and have found some I like the feel better than others. It took some time moving reels around and matching up line, lure, and rod. 

For me keeping things in perspective as far as what they were designed for (lure weight, lb test line, etc) along with proper adjustments takes a lot of the mysterious backlashes out of the picture.

Sixpack

I love LEWS reels on Duckett rods...
Triton TR-22 DC Pro, 2005, 225 Evinrude HO/DI, two 8' Power Pole Blades on the back, Minn Kota 36v 101# on the bow.

fishdog74

I love lews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishdog74

Lews  on Lews custom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pferox

I've had my share of rods and reels not playing together.

One of my big problems is with spinning gear that won't balance out the rod right, this makes it very difficult to work it especially when talking about excessively long rods and larger reels.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim