Not Sure I Believe It.

Started by Smallie_Stalker, February 09, 2020, 03:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

I read a post on a Facebook page where I trust the majority of information. However, I'm on the fence about this claim.

One of the members there who works at BPS says that the BPS XPS 100% flourocarbon line is re-branded Seaguar InvisX?  :-\

He did seem to be knowledgeable about the lines and I have a message in to him with some questions. If he answers back I'll post what he tells me.

I know companies re-brand products all the time but this seems like it's just a bit too good to be true.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

That's interesting. Like you said companies are always re-branding stuff.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Jacobguy

I was told by a BPS employee now s friend of ours that the BPS qualifier baitcasting reels are made by Lews. If that's true it'll be awesome. I just got back from a BPS 20 minutes ago and they're having a sale on they're lines...

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

loomisguy

Lew's doesn't make reels or rods for that matter.. The BPS and Lews along with Abu  and goodness knows who else are made the same company Doyo or something like that.
The line , if it's Seaguar, I would guess maybe Red Label. I've heard Trilene  100% also..

Lipripper

Quote from: Jacobguy on February 09, 2020, 03:37:16 PM
I was told by a BPS employee now s friend of ours that the BPS qualifier baitcasting reels are made by Lews. If that's true it'll be awesome. I just got back from a BPS 20 minutes ago and they're having a sale on they're lines...

All their lines or just the BPS line of lines? I need to get some new line to put on my reels when I get them back from their cleaning and tune ups.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Jacobguy

Quote from: Lipripper on February 09, 2020, 03:44:26 PM
All their lines or just the BPS line of lines? I need to get some new line to put on my reels when I get them back from their cleaning and tune ups.
Just checked, it's only the BPS stuff. And turns out its only theyre braid, though my brother showed them the sale and they price matched it with mono.

fishballer06

I was told by a BPS employee now s friend of ours that the BPS qualifier baitcasting reels are made by Lews. If that's true it'll be awesome.
Quote from: loomisguy on February 09, 2020, 03:43:12 PM
Lew's doesn't make reels or rods for that matter.. The BPS and Lews along with Abu  and goodness knows who else are made the same company Doyo or something like that.

That is correct. Lews, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, BPS, and I'm sure a few other small companies all have their reels made by a Korean company called Doyo.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Oldfart9999

I've used the BPS XPS flouorcarbon line and it works well. Doyo makes good reels, I have a bunch of the PRO QUALIFIERS and they are a solid reel, usually buy them on sale for 20$ off.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Jacobguy

Just wanted to say I visited BPS today and they're Seaguar flouro is 50% off. I grabbed two 200 yard spools for my new cranking reel. In case anybody's interested!

hog head

How dose the red label compare to the invis X?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

loomisguy

Red Label is cheaper first off, but Invisx  is better handling line. I do use Red label on my swimbait rods in the higher tests but for crankbaits and stickbaits the Invisx in 10lb is hard to beat.

Princeton_Man

Store brands of anything can change at the blink of an eye. What came out of a US factory yesterday can come out of a Chinese factory tomorrow and the only visible clue will be in the fine print on the label.

I used Red Label for a while on my medium and light spinning rigs, even tried it on my baitcasters once upon a time. It's good line, but had big memory issues. When it was first spooled up, it was great. After a month or so it was like casting a slinky. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

hog head

Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jacobguy

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 20, 2020, 06:13:07 AM
Store brands of anything can change at the blink of an eye. What came out of a US factory yesterday can come out of a Chinese factory tomorrow and the only visible clue will be in the fine print on the label.

I used Red Label for a while on my medium and light spinning rigs, even tried it on my baitcasters once upon a time. It's good line, but had big memory issues. When it was first spooled up, it was great. After a month or so it was like casting a slinky.
Well now I just feel like I wasted 15 bucks! Was the memory worse then average mono? If it's the same I can live with it, but if it's truly a slinky, oh boy.

Capt. BassinLou

Red label is great for leaders. ;)

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Jacobguy on February 20, 2020, 06:14:07 PM
Well now I just feel like I wasted 15 bucks! Was the memory worse then average mono? If it's the same I can live with it, but if it's truly a slinky, oh boy.

I liked the Red Label when I first spooled it up and fished it. It had great abrasion resistance. After a few weeks on the reels in the rod locker it would get bad enough that it affected casts and I'd had to change. It looked just like a slinky when stripped off the reel.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

I use red label as leaders on my trolling gear. It has too much memory to load a casting rod.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Jacobguy

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 20, 2020, 07:35:56 PM
I liked the Red Label when I first spooled it up and fished it. It had great abrasion resistance. After a few weeks on the reels in the rod locker it would get bad enough that it affected casts and I'd had to change. It looked just like a slinky when stripped off the reel.
Quote from: zippyduck on April 09, 2020, 08:15:39 PM
I use red label as leaders on my trolling gear. It has too much memory to load a casting rod.

I've had it on two of my reels for about a month and a half and it's not ideal but honestly not too bad, in short cast like trying to flip a small jig around cover it comes off like a slinky but if I'm really getting a crank out there it handles well imo. I also picked up a 200yd spool of P-line Tactical 100% flouro I'm gonna put on one reel and set them up against each other and see what performs better since I cant really get into the high end stuff. I'll also grab some K9 flouro eventually.

zippyduck

P-line tacticl is great stuff and so far I like K9.

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Donald Garner

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 20, 2020, 07:35:56 PM

I use Red Label also and that is my only complaint about the line.  I only use it for tournament fishing.  I strip it off and replace it with Berkley Big Game Clear Mono after the event.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

hydrillagorillahunter

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 09, 2020, 03:07:38 PM
One of the members there who works at BPS says that the BPS XPS 100% flourocarbon line is re-branded Seaguar InvisX?  :-\

BPS XPS flouro is a special formulation made by Seaguar per Kevin Van Dam.  Now I'm not sure if Seaguar decided to push out this formulation under their own brand calling it InvisX, but wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.  Link below about 3:15 in...link should start at 3:15 in.

https://youtu.be/2vFHZfMrsnQ?t=195

FlatsNBay

I use Red Label all the time. I use 12 on my crankbait set up and 15 on my worm set up. I haven't personally had any issues with the handling.  I've been using for the last 4 or 5 years, maybe longer. It handles perfectly for what I use it for and is really strong.  I've tried some of the more expensive lines to compare and always come back to Red Label.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Deadeye

I've tried a bunch of different Flouro and I don't really care for most of it.

Then I tried the Sunline Brand. I know a lot of people swear by Shooter and Sniper, but I haven't tried them yet. What I found was called Assassin.

It is limp, tough, and little to no memory. I really really like it. I have some spooled that has been on for over a year and still looks and feels like new.

Oldfart9999

KVD Line & Lure spray does a good job of keeping flouro limp. Spray it on before every use.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

GermanKnight

No, not entirely. Doyo manufacturers lews, and BPS. And a bunch of other companies. There's a Chinese manufacture and then there's banax and doyo. But, this doesn't mean the products are crap. You need to understand manufacturing. Just because say lews had a problem with one reel, doesn't mean BPS will as well. They most likely have sections of there manufacturing set up so they can monitor QC better.

The BPS pro qualifier was imo one of the best reels to come out of manufacturing like this. It was such a solid all around reel.

It's getting more and more uncommon to have companies actually manufacture there own stuff which is a real shame. But that's because people want things so cheap. They do have to find a way to keep the lights on and I get it.

I think the old BPS FC might have been invisx, I don't think the new stuff is, but it could be. Totally could.

I like BPS reels much better than lews, well.... I used to. Lews feels ultra cheap. You pick up a lews an yep it's gonna be light. But you can tell just by touch that it's made for profit, not for the long haul. The pro qualifier on the other hand was done by the same company doyo and felt great. It worked wonderfully. Yes the brakes where light on the magnetic side but they worked and the reel was extremely tank like.

I really hope this helped. I would recommend people not to worry as much about where these products come from vs how these products perform and feel. It's a practice I don't agree with but they don't GAF. It's not gonna change.

Also, with the advent of social media and reviews we can still find good products, reviews are the best way to weed out the crap.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Denali custom rods.