KastKing Rod Holder / Organizer

Started by apenland01, April 28, 2020, 09:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apenland01

I had an old Okuma plastic rod holder that was held together with duct tape and bailing wire that I finally threw in the garbage a few weeks ago.  I went searching for a new portable rod organizer/holder and found the aluminum KastKing 24 rod holder.  Wow, it's sturdy!  I can't be more pleased with it for $69.  I don't know how that price compares to other holders, but it's a good price for what I got.

The slats are adjustable and you can set it to whatever you want.  Assembly took about 5 minutes with no tools.  The only plastic parts are the elbow connectors and the end caps/feet.  The rod contacts are foam.

Here's a few pics of it with the rods.  I couldn't get my 2 Xtasy rods in it because they would hit the roof.  The clearance off the ground is about 3"....

The little wheels allow you to adjust the slat up or down to fit your rods.

Same on the top slat....

apiazza

that looks pretty good. I have a cheap rod holder that is junk that i have in my basement, but really need something for my garage for commonly used rods. I was thinking wall mount, but this might do nicely. i don't have nearly 24 rods, which means i'll need more to fill it up  ;D

bigjim5589

I have 2 of the Okuma racks & they're OK, but they'll only hold rods without the reels. Add reels and have to cut the number of rods they'll hold in half, as the spaces are not wide enough. I also have another round, wood rack, but no idea the brand. It also only holds rods without the reels unless I only use every other space.

I have several fly rods too, and rod tubes for them. I guess I'll end up making some type of rack for them. Those I've seen are nice, made of wood, but crazy expensive, and won't hold enough rods.

I've looked at those Kastking racks and have seen some other similar that are made of metal and adjustable. They have my interest!

I haven't decided what I'll do with it yet, but it's really good to know that the Kastking rack might be a great choice. 

apenland01 thanks for the post!  ~c~ ~c~  Often posts are made about rods, reels, lures & even tackle boxes, but not much posted about such things as rod racks!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

apiazza

I'll also add that I like this option because you can keep the rod socks on. I have found as a kayak guy the extra few second haggling with a rod sock saves me a bunch of time dealing with potential twists and snags in other rods and low coverage trees. So I plan to have every rod in it's own sock. Some storage options are not very sock friendly.

apenland01

I had considered a wall mount, but I'm renting a house and I wanted something that I could move around fairly easily.  I wanted something that was sturdy and wouldn't fall apart after moving it around or using it for a few years.

It holds rods with rod socks with no problem, but if there are reels on the rod, you have to alternate them or put fewer rods in the holder.  I chose the larger 24 rod holder just for this reason.  They make a smaller version, but I had no interest in that one.

Right now I pulled most of my reels off the rods to revisit which reels I want to mate to which rod, so I've got all of my rods in it at the moment.

ike8120

I bought one similar to the KK one off EBAY. Haven't seen the KK one up close. I am very satisfied with my purchase. Whatever brand you get I don't think will hold 24 rods with baitcasters.
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

apiazza

There is one on the Zon that is probably made by the same folks that made the kast king because it looks identical for about half the price. might just spring for it...I need to clean up the garage a bit.